Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting with better shooters...

astephenson

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I have played sports sense the age of 4-5 and i think composition between friends/others breeds excellence. Especially if someone is by far better than you in every way. I remember throughout my life their was always someone I knew that was better than me at something. Even if i was the best out of my friends i always knew the people that had more determination and grit. those people are my role models, normal people just working as hard as they can. I know of 2-3 local skateboarders/snowboarders that are now professional, even Michy Brusco the first person to land a 1080 on a skateboard only like 18 years old now. I used to skate with him when he was 5-6 and he was killing it on halfpipes 13" high. Those people are always out there find them and try to be a sponge. Another was Bryan Walters, We both graduated from the same high school in 06 and he is now a professional football player for the Jacksonville Jaguars.Played for the Local Seattle Seahawks when we went back to back Super Bowls and now has a ring to prove it.

Edited by Yibomb

If you're the "not better" shooter then please be respectful of the "better" shooter. Approach them after they've had their run and had time to do their own post stage actions/rituals. If the "better" shooter is really good they probably have a side business teaching classes, maybe ask them about taking one instead of trying for 8 hours of free tips and attention.

If you're the "better" shooter be patient with the "not better" shooter. They often don't know exactly what to ask and you probably have only shot with them at this match. So try to give the most accurate answer you can. Learn how to politely let people know you need your own time for focusing and preparation. There is a saying in the medical world, "nobody sues a doctor they like." Just being nice can go a long ways for you, the shooting community is small. We all know who is a jerk and unpleasant to deal with and you probably don't want to be added to that list.

Always makes you better, unless you assume that the plan they execute is right for you, sometimes it beyond your skill level.

Now I'm not saying that it isn't the better plan( and one you should aspire to successfully execute at some point in time) just not the better plan at that specific time. Speed it up as far as it goes with the wheels about to spin off, then let off a bit.

I've had to find a missing wheel on a stage now and then?

Edited by cnote

• 3 weeks later...

If you're the "not better" shooter then please be respectful of the "better" shooter. Approach them after they've had their run and had time to do their own post stage actions/rituals. If the "better" shooter is really good they probably have a side business teaching classes, maybe ask them about taking one instead of trying for 8 hours of free tips and attention.

If you're the "better" shooter be patient with the "not better" shooter. They often don't know exactly what to ask and you probably have only shot with them at this match. So try to give the most accurate answer you can. Learn how to politely let people know you need your own time for focusing and preparation. There is a saying in the medical world, "nobody sues a doctor they like." Just being nice can go a long ways for you, the shooting community is small. We all know who is a jerk and unpleasant to deal with and you probably don't want to be added to that list.

This is well said.

• 4 weeks later...

I have always tried to shoot with higher level shooters. I find that makes me push myself that much harder. The best match I ever had was at the USPSA Nationals. I was traveling with two friends and we were all in the same squad. One of my friends was a Master and I was a B. I ended up being the lowest ranking shooter in the squad. By watching the other shooters make their stage plan and actually shoot the stage, I was able to step up my performance. I earned my National A card at that match.

I found all of the higher classed shooters to be very helpful. When we would do our walk-through, several of them would point out to me potential problems areas in the stage and how I could mitigate them. I had taken several classes prior, but this was a great education under match pressure.

Tommy Campbell was in that squad and noticed I was having minor problems with my new at the time Safariland holster. We spent about 20 minutes in the safe area adjusting the holster and my draw. I never forgot how helpful he was and try to pay it forward when I see a newer shooter having problems.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree 100%. Nobody likes to be the worst shooter of the bunch.

That's why I thank god for new shooters! :roflol:

Thanks for serving!

I switched from shooting IDPA to GADPA, more fun and yes a great bunch of guys!

ive noticed this in other competive sports with me also....golf...3-d archery...ect....if im with people that do better then me ill do better...if im with people that don't take it seriously I tend to coast..lol

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy shooting with better shooters as it does help push yourself. At the same time you have to remember to keep things to your level. Sometimes the stage plans that the higher level shooters come up with might be outside your comfort zone. So just try and remember to make it your own to a point and keep it at your level.

• 3 weeks later...

I am fairly new to IDPA and I have noticed that I do generally do better when I shoot with the better end of the group. I think its more about watching them and taking notes on how they approach stages along with the advice given.

I have the good fortune of being able to shoot with Todd Jarret occasionally, and he's even competing in my division these days which is even better. I won't say I shoot better when I'm squadded with him, but I certainly do put on my learning hat and try to absorb how he does what he does. I just look at it as free instruction from one of the best shooters in the world. :goof:

You have to shoot w/ better shooters if you want to get better. You need to pay attention to their game and what they are doing differently besides pulling the trigger.

Amen. It's hard to pull away from where we are without learning from others who are where we want to be.

• 3 weeks later...

As a new shooter I'll admit that I only want to shoot with good shooters. I closely watch the way they move, how they get to their target, how they present, how they fire, how they transition and the overall way they operate while in action. I talk to them to see how they practice and prepare. I'll ask them to watch me and give me advise on ways that I can improve on what I'm doing. I take it all in and try to immolate all of the smoothest aspects I glean from each.

I hadn't started moving fast yet because I'm still thinking about my next step or shot instead of just taking it as an instinctual reflex. I know I can run as fast as the big dogs, and I'm pretty accurate as well, but doing both together isn't something I'm comfortable with...yet. So I think if you participate with good shooters for the sake of them being guides, instead of looking at them as guys doing the impossible, then it should be very beneficial.

On this same thought, I try like hell to avoid the new shooter squad. Sure there's something to be said for fumbling through and learning from each other's mistakes, but I simply don't want to take that route.

I used this same approach when I decided to play tennis when I was younger. I would always seek out and play (and get destroyed by) the best players on the court. Sure we were playing to win, but I was playing more to watch and learn. By the time I hit the 10th grade I was practicing, and regularly beating, guys from a nearby college tennis team. By my senior year I was serving the ball 115+ and couldn't find anyone around who could hang with me. Sure I practiced 5 days a week, but I was still practicing and trying to do what the those guys did 5 years earlier when I was getting my ass handed to me on the regular. So, play up to the best and do what they do, just do it a little better...

Have worked a couple level two matches so far as scorekeeper.

You get to shoot with the staff, and then you get to watch and see how all the good shooters at the match run a stage. While you are watching you are not under any pressure related to your own shooting. I think it is a great learning opportunity and they even give you free match fees and prizes & stuff for it.