Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most fun AR caliber

steviesterno

what is the most fun caliber you can stuff into a regular AR lower? I think I'm finally all squared away at with HD/duty style ARs, and my competition rifle is good to go. so what should I build? I'm thinking 9mm because I could shoot it indoors at ranges, and that would be fun. And I'm thinking 50 Beowulf because who doesn't want to blast half inch rounds at something? Or something in-between?

so, what do ya'll think? What would you/have you built as a pure range toy?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been eyeing the 6.8 SPC II uppers. Good long range performance, moderate recoil and while brass is pricey the projectiles aren't too expensive.

I've got ARs in .22, 9mm and .223/5.56. Since picking up the 9mm a few weeks ago I am relly liking it for a range toy. Practical application is another matter. Can't hunt with it, probably won't shoot it in competition and too heavy for a backpacking rifle.

I have tried to answer this question all day and I think "my favorite" is that I don't have to pick just one.

I really like my .450Bushmaster and my .450Corvette, as well as the 6.5PCC and the .22LR. The KelTec Sub2000 cured me of the want of a 9mm AR.

9mm! I just built a 9mm AR and its the most fun firearm I have in my safe by far. Even more fun than my .38SC Open pistol. Whats even better is that it runs perfectly with my Production ammo. Just wish I could legally own an SBR length rifle in Hawaii.

what is the most fun caliber you can stuff into a regular AR lower? I think I'm finally all squared away at with HD/duty style ARs, and my competition rifle is good to go. so what should I build? I'm thinking 9mm because I could shoot it indoors at ranges, and that would be fun. And I'm thinking 50 Beowulf because who doesn't want to blast half inch rounds at something? Or something in-between?

so, what do ya'll think? What would you/have you built as a pure range toy?

The 9mm is a lot of fun for the reasons you state. I always bring it out these days when I am practicing drills with my pistols. I don't have to change the set up and can shoot a carbine too. The 458 is fun too but so much more expensive to play with. I got one recently but have not shot much through it because I hate losing the brass at 75 cents a piece. But its a fun thumper as Kurt said.

I think 9mm is winning me over. I have 5.56 for 3-gun and 6.8 SPC II for SDM and varmints. But since shooting steel fast is my favorite activity, after my first Steel Challenge event with the PCC it is rising to the top.

Another benefit to 9mm is that it so much cheaper to load than everything other than buying .22. Now that I have one in 9mm, I'd like to see about finding a .357sig upper that will swap onto my lower. Still use Glock mags and make ammo for about the same cost as 9mm but get the greatly increased velocity.

Another benefit to 9mm is that it so much cheaper to load than everything other than buying .22. Now that I have one in 9mm, I'd like to see about finding a .357sig upper that will swap onto my lower. Still use Glock mags and make ammo for about the same cost as 9mm but get the greatly increased velocity.

Not really greatly increased. About 150 FPS more in factory state and if you compare it to major 9 its a tie.I used to be a big 357 sig fan then dropped it once I found I could do the same with the 9mm but have more ammo in the mag.