Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My mom had a stroke ...

Chris Keen

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jim, and everybody else.

She is still non-verbal. Cant communicate. And doesnt act as though she recognizes any of us. Thats probably the hardest part .... not knowing whether she's ok, or in pain, or what? Her heart is very high (147) for someone who is laying in bed. And the doctors seem to think she might have suffered a heart attack at the same time.

We really dont know much yet. It's still early. I miss my Mom. :(

PS Last week somebody here said "Hug your parents every chance you get" .... and it's so very very true. Just do it. Or at least pick up the phone and call 'em.

Thanks Jim, and everybody else.

She is still non-verbal. Cant communicate. And doesnt act as though she recognizes any of us. Thats probably the hardest part .... not knowing whether she's ok, or in pain, or what? Her heart is very high (147) for someone who is laying in bed. And the doctors seem to think she might have suffered a heart attack at the same time.

We really dont know much yet. It's still early. I miss my Mom. :(

PS Last week somebody here said "Hug your parents every chance you get" .... and it's so very very true. Just do it. Or at least pick up the phone and call 'em.

Chris,

Hang in there man. Prayers sent.

Not much new to report on my mom. She's still a little out of it when she's awake, which is only a few minutes at a time; 5 or 6 times a day. I guess a stroke takes a huge toll on a persons body and mind. She still cant talk, or move her right arm/leg, or look to her right. She does look at me when I talk to her, but I have no idea how much she can comprehend right now.

I'm a pretty optimistic person. I was hoping for a tiny miracle when I was heading back to see her, on the 2nd day. But I'm beginning to understand that I'm just gonna have to wait a little while longer before I see any signs of improvement.

I feel so helpless. I really wish there was something more I could do.

Hang in there and keep it in the Lord's hands. I agree with you, the most helpless that I have ever felt was when people that I care about were in the hospital and all I could physically do was watch. More prayers sent.

Hurley

Chris,

I've been out working. So Sorry to hear about your Mother. Prayers sent up for not only her but the rest of the family and the caregivers as well. Take time to talk to the rest of the family also. Good luck, God Bless.

Hop/ Cuz/ Sam

Still praying for y'all, Chris. I went through a similar thing with my dad in 1987. From my experience, it takes a while for a stroke victim to understand what has happened and for them to get over the emotional shock of it, but they are fighting all the while. Continue to be strong for her and help maintain a positive outlook.

www.stroke.orgis an invaluable resource.

Kindest regards,

Jack

Great news ..... Mom's has been moved outta the hospital and into a nursing home near where she was living before. Now she's only 2 minutes away from my dads place. She still can't talk, and still doesn't recognize any of us yet, but she DOES recognize that you are there & you are talking to her. And if 2 people are taking turns talking she will "follow" whoever is doing the talking. If you hand her a newspaper, she will look it over from top to bottom, then flip it over and do the same thing on the other side, then set it down! :)

Last night I went to see Mom at dinner time, and she did wonderful. When handed a glass of juice she will hold it, and drink it by herself ... and by the end of dinner she was helping feed herself too. She has a little trouble hitting the mark, but then she's never been left-handed ... and she's still just 2 weeks out from a stroke. So I think she's making tremendous progress.

Keep the prayers coming, cause she's still gotta long way to go! :closedeyes:

Chris, that is great news. I have been watching this thread closely for just this kind of progress report. Sounds like you have a great mom! Take care of her. FWIW I can't hit anything left handed either. ;)