Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you enjoy WH/SH shooting?

zhunter

Personally, I don't enjoy it, and it is common knowledge that our sport is not about defensive shooting etc.... Let's cut the crap and not have forced strong/weak hand shooting be required. Maybe there are some type of stage designs that IF you take Strong of Weak hand shots, it would be a big benefit.

Really? It's common knowledge? I know lots of people that do think it's about defensive shooting. I'm certainly one of them. While it's not about tactics, it is most definitely beneficial for defensinve shooting. Just because you don't think it's about defensive shooting don't assume that everyone else feels the same as you. I voted to keep it. I don't see any reason to eliminate it. You want to get better, practice. You don't care about how you finish, shoot with both hands and take your penalties.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does "I am on a fan" mean? It sound uncomfortable :rolleyes:

Z has been known to lean to the kinky side of life. :roflol:

That is funny

You don't care about how you finish, shoot with both hands and take your penalties.

I was handcuffed yesterday, you could not take the penalties even if you wanted. I mean LITERALLY handcuffed, the opposite hand could not reach to the opposite side of the barricade.

Personally, I don't enjoy it, and it is common knowledge that our sport is not about defensive shooting etc.... Let's cut the crap and not have forced strong/weak hand shooting be required. Maybe there are some type of stage designs that IF you take Strong of Weak hand shots, it would be a big benefit.

Really? It's common knowledge? I know lots of people that do think it's about defensive shooting. I'm certainly one of them. While it's not about tactics, it is most definitely beneficial for defensinve shooting. Just because you don't think it's about defensive shooting don't assume that everyone else feels the same as you. I voted to keep it. I don't see any reason to eliminate it. You want to get better, practice. You don't care about how you finish, shoot with both hands and take your penalties.

We have lost our sense of history. IPSC was originally Combat Shooting. "Practical" was in deference to early political correctness and the Europeans. Now practical has all but become a thing of the past, especially in equipment. VIS is continually under attack. How much farther can it go before we all have to just play with airsoft toys? Freestyle only, of course.

You know, the more I think about this and re-read it, the more I think it makes sense. We should get rid of strong hand/support hand only shooting, turning draws, seated starts, unloaded starts, gun on table starts, hands above shoulders starts, mandatory reloads, no-shoots, hard cover/partial targets, shots over 15yds, swingers, drop turners, bobbers, and movers. Just put a bunch of full targets out in a pattern and see who can shoot them the fastest at close range. Well, maybe not....

I'm not sure why this thread has turned into yuk-yuks rather than a discussion of the facts or relative merits of strong hand/support hand only shooting but it seems necessary to point something blatantly obvious.

it is common knowledge that our sport is not about defensive shooting etc

That is one of the most totally "out there" things I've ever seen here. The fact is handguns were created and exist to provide defensive capability. Shooting sports started when people wanted to compare their relative skill with said implements and, hopefully, improve their skills with same. There simply isn't any way to separate the two.

We try to sanitize it, and keep it "polite", but almost everything in this sport has some kind of basis in defensive use. The targets are roughly human shaped, we do things like hands above shoulders (simulating surrendering to a bad guy), and we reward shooting more powerful cartridges in 5 out of 6 divisions. Since shooting with one hand is about the most likely scenario in the practical use of a handgun outside of recreational shooting, not testing that skill, at least some of the time, would be ridiculous.

Again, I don't particularly enjoy it, but removing it would take away from the sport.

Edit to add: Use the Olympics as an example. They were started to test the skills of warriors; running, lifting, wrestling, etc....all combat related skills. Now they have badminton and trampoline...I guess they felt it wasn't about warrior skills any longer and added "fun" stuff.

Edited by G-ManBart

I like shooting SHO/WHO better than I like listening to people complain about it. It is just andother test of shooting abilities. Our local club's first classifier this year had 4 out of 6 stages with SHO/WHO. That may be a little much, but those were the stages to shoot.

Randy

I voted for the "important part of the overall skill set". Had a stage or two recently in which it was easier (and quite possibly faster) to shoot one handed around a barricade. Maybe it was bad stage design (or really good design), but the fault line was at an angle back from the barrier such that most of us could not shoot two handed around it. It was the same on the other side of the stage, but reversed. So maybe it's a good thing that we have SH/WH stages that force us to practice!

I like shooting SHO/WHO better than I like listening to people complain about it. It is just andother test of shooting abilities. Our local club's first classifier this year had 4 out of 6 stages with SHO/WHO. That may be a little much, but those were the stages to shoot.

Randy

Now that is well said.

It's all a balancing act for me. I don't love it, and I don't love too much of it.

I do however love competing against folks that hate it. Or whine about it. Love that. Those are the times I see SH and WH shooting as very strategic tools to do better in a match that is designed to test shooting skills. And all shooting skills, not just the ones we like.

Jack

I've noticed SHO-WHO stages or stage components fluster some of the more experienced competitors. I'm new yet they don't fluster me, so I look forward to the As I'm about to score.

One of the many reasons our sport is fun is the variety of challenges we face or create for others to face. If it was easy, I'd play another game.

Toss up between "Skill set" and "sport". Either way I like them and feel it's important. Since I also do Bullseye shooting they don't bother me. :)

I think a lot of the stage designers are trying to find ways to seperate the upper levels of the shooters because losing by 0.002 stinks. Losing because you have not practiced Weak Hand Only is easier to take and improve for next time.

Leam

I trully enjoy SHO & WHO shooting. Since the fist time I shot a SHO & WHO classifier, I saw that as a skill the learn and master. Occasionally I will find stages that will give you an advantage to go SHO & WHO around a baracade and keep you away from foot faults. My $0.02.

G-man you forgot Ballroom Dancing.

Ray

More of the smaller things you do better, the better off you are. Practice the things you don't like. The little things you do better than the other guy are the difference from winning and losing. All came from Ted Bonnett when I was starting. Still true today.

Mike

I was handcuffed yesterday, you could not take the penalties even if you wanted. I mean LITERALLY handcuffed, the opposite hand could not reach to the opposite side of the barricade.

Jay, I heard from the RO on Stage 2 that you looked the most natural in those handcuffs of any of the competitors this Saturday. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

I practice SHO and WHO every time I hit the local range for a practice session. I shoot both ways at targets that are 15 and 20 yards out. It is part of my routine and as others have said I now embrace stages that require one or both. I also will now use the technique to shoot around a barricade at targets up to ten yards distant.

Personally, I think that golfers should be limited to one club for the entire match, unless it breaks..... :P :P

So let's get this straight: Rather than practicing enough to become proficient, you'd rather just eliminate a subset of pistol shooting because you don't enjoy it, since you suck at it, because you won't practice? :ph34r: :ph34r:

USPSA should probably consider a name change to JPSA while we're at it, right? :goof: :goof:

Nik, you've hit upon the American way. If you can't win, change the rules to make it easier! Look at international rules skeet and trap vs. U.S. rules skeet and trap for another example. Personally, I think it's it a very important part of practical shooting and would hate to see it go the way of the reload.

Personally, I think that golfers should be limited to one club for the entire match, unless it breaks..... :P :P

So let's get this straight: Rather than practicing enough to become proficient, you'd rather just eliminate a subset of pistol shooting because you don't enjoy it, since you suck at it, because you won't practice? :ph34r: :ph34r:

USPSA should probably consider a name change to JPSA while we're at it, right? :goof: :goof:

Nik, you've hit upon the American way. If you can't win, change the rules to make it easier! Look at international rules skeet and trap vs. U.S. rules skeet and trap for another example. Personally, I think it's it a very important part of practical shooting and would hate to see it go the way of the reload.

+1 Emphasis added gratis.

+1 Emphasis added gratis.

I'll go +1 there too.