Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Primers...they changed!

ks-shooter

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange as I was beginning to have problems with these also. I noticed as I was loading primer tubes that there were several anvils sitting in the tray I load tubes from. I am averaging about 2-3 anvils outof the cups per 100. What I do is load the tubes carefully. I check each primer for an anvil first. They seem to have come loose in shipping. If I don't load them into the tubes, I get 100% ignition from the primers I have loaded. (because I do not load the bad ones) I resized an empty case and chambered it in a BHP. The primer did not ignite even thoug I got a clean strike. So I would look to see if you have anvils sitting on your bench, your flip trays, or your vibraprime.

Just my experience. I'll deal with them as I only have 4-5K left. By the time I went through the mailing them back etc. etc, I will have burned through them. Not gonna use them for matches though.

JZ

ETA: The resized case had an anviless primer loaded into it. Added for clarity.

Edited by JimmyZip

I'm stashing the 8K left from that order for a "just in case" thing. Thing is, they ran perfect with the medium striker springs Charlie Vanek sent me.

No failures, zero. But the suck gauge for my triggers started to peg. Not a compromise I was willing to make.

Jim

I will be e-mailing Wolf ASAP. I purchased 5000 of their spp as there was nothing else out there. In 1000 rnds, I have had @ 102% failure rate. I thought it was either me or my gun, but the gun runs flawless on rounds with winchester or cci primers

A 102% failure rate would mean that they all failed on the first strike, and 2% of those failed on the 2nd :D

Strange as I was beginning to have problems with these also. I noticed as I was loading primer tubes that there were several anvils sitting in the tray I load tubes from. I am averaging about 2-3 anvils outof the cups per 100. What I do is load the tubes carefully. I check each primer for an anvil first. They seem to have come loose in shipping. If I don't load them into the tubes, I get 100% ignition from the primers I have loaded. (because I do not load the bad ones) I resized an empty case and chambered it in a BHP. The primer did not ignite even thoug I got a clean strike. So I would look to see if you have anvils sitting on your bench, your flip trays, or your vibraprime.

Just my experience. I'll deal with them as I only have 4-5K left. By the time I went through the mailing them back etc. etc, I will have burned through them. Not gonna use them for matches though.

JZ

Of the 1800 (out of 10K) I've gone through so far, I haven't seen a single loose anvil. Weird.

Wolf just called. Am I the only one having FTF using

Wolf LP-brass/copper colored?? Using these in a SA

.45ACP. The young lady on the phone was surprised

when I stated the color to her, she responded it was

the silver primers people are having problems with!

Any way- I am sending them two empty box's- one

from each sleeve and my original sales receipt from

PV. Thats it for now! :cheers:

Rolex....yes, I believe yours is the first post regarding FTF problems with the brass/copper color SPPs. This has become a pretty long thread, but the change in the primers was to the silver color which are harder to fire than the previous brass/copper SPPs.

I have seen one loose anvil, but only one. I've had a 0% failure rate in my STIs and 1% in my Vanek-ized Glocks. Definitely a little sorry that I bought 20k of them but I was desperate and felt I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Once they're gone I'm sticking with Magtech.

I have seen one loose anvil, but only one. I've had a 0% failure rate in my STIs and 1% in my Vanek-ized Glocks. Definitely a little sorry that I bought 20k of them but I was desperate and felt I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Once they're gone I'm sticking with Magtech.

Thanks for the info.

I have had excellent success with the SR223 primers and my groups even improved, and since I am desperate for pistol primers I was looking at the standard Wolf SR primers.

Thanks for the info.

I have had excellent success with the SR223 primers and my groups even improved, and since I am desperate for pistol primers I was looking at the standard Wolf SR primers.

What is your set-up in your pistol?

Mainspring wt.

XL f/p

etc.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I got my spp from wideners. They're silver and so far I went through 200 of them flawless with a stock striker spring glock19

When did you purchase your primers, and what is the lot number (printed on the bottom of the tray/box)?

I've gone through as many as 200 of them without a misfire, but never more than 300 (I bought 10K of them in a panic when I found 'em in stock at Widener's). Seating them really hard seems to improve things, but never gets me to 100% reliability. 99% of the duds go bang on the 2nd strike, though. I've only had one out of the 3K I've used so far that hasn't gone bang even on the 3rd strike.

My loads are exclusively for Smith & Wesson M&P .40 cal, a Compact and a FS. Never a problem with Federal or Winchester factory ammo, and I ran at least 1K factory rounds through both guns before I started reloading.

Edited by Dodge DeBoulet

Followup on my Wolff SPP (silver)

Lot 10/09. Shot 100 and all fired with my single stack, < 2 lb trigger.

This weekend I'll shoot more with that gun, and then try it out with my limited gun. (My backup limited onewink.gif , as want2race is making me a new slide for mine...)

I got my spp from wideners. They're silver and so far I went through 200 of them flawless with a stock striker spring glock19

When did you purchase your primers, and what is the lot number (printed on the bottom of the tray/box)?

I've gone through as many as 200 of them without a misfire, but never more than 300 (I bought 10K of them in a panic when I found 'em in stock at Widener's). Seating them really hard seems to improve things, but never gets me to 100% reliability. 99% of the duds go bang on the 2nd strike, though. I've only had one out of the 3K I've used so far that hasn't gone bang even on the 3rd strike.

My loads are exclusively for Smith & Wesson M&P .40 cal, a Compact and a FS. Never a problem with Federal or Winchester factory ammo, and I ran at least 1K factory rounds through both guns before I started reloading.

I bought them in December 09. Lot 17-09

• 2 weeks later...

You should not see a problem with your set up. Those that use sissy springs (like me) were seeing big issues.

Jim

You're right, I tried them today with a Wolff 4LB striker spring, and can't shoot a whole mag straight without failure. Switched back to the stock spring and they worked fine.

I followed JMan's lead and I contacted WOLF about the primer issue I had. They were great. It took about two weeks but I got my money back for the unused primers. I have had great success with WOLF previously and I'll continue to support them when they get the primer issue worked out. I really appreciate their customer service.

Followup on my Wolff SPP (silver)

Lot 10/09. Shot 100 and all fired with my single stack, < 2 lb trigger.

This weekend I'll shoot more with that gun, and then try it out with my limited gun. (My backup limited onewink.gif , as want2race is making me a new slide for mine...)

Limited gun: No joy. I had 5 not fire out of about 200. One I struck 3 times no fire, then carefully deprimed it:surprise:. It looks perfectly normal, anvil intact, pink/white stuff still in there, just no ignition. I had 4 during the match today. Guess I'm going to have to call Wolff: Lot of limited shooting planned this year, and can't have that happen.

I will be e-mailing Wolf ASAP. I purchased 5000 of their spp as there was nothing else out there. In 1000 rnds, I have had @ 102% failure rate. I thought it was either me or my gun, but the gun runs flawless on rounds with winchester or cci primers

I e-mail Wolf's customer service the day after I posted this. I had an UPS tag in my hands three days later. After a week of procrastination I sent in the empty box & claim tag. 1 1/2 weeks later my check arrived, for the full amount + shipping.

I wish the primers worked, but at least Wolf stepped up to the plate and took care of it. I have since replaced all of mine with CCI and all is well!!

Sent approx. 9,000 silvery SPP back to Wolf three or four weeks ago, because of duds.

Received a check last Thursday. Wolf says they can't ship primers by mail. I was hoping they could exchange them for brass coloured primers.

Oh well, have to place a new primer order. What is the current turnaround for primer internet purchases? 6 months? A year?

Sent approx. 9,000 silvery SPP back to Wolf three or four weeks ago, because of duds.

Received a check last Thursday. Wolf says they can't ship primers by mail. I was hoping they could exchange them for brass coloured primers.

Oh well, have to place a new primer order. What is the current turnaround for primer internet purchases? 6 months? A year?

You actually shipped them the primers? They told me specifically not to do that, just send in an empty box along with the original receipt. They sent me a check, and left disposal of the remaining primers (approximately 7500 at the time) up to me.

You actually shipped them the primers? They told me specifically not to do that, just send in an empty box along with the original receipt. They sent me a check, and left disposal of the remaining primers (approximately 7500 at the time) up to me.

You read my mind. Thinking the same thing.