Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Primers...they changed!

ks-shooter

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTT

Wanted anyone with Wolf primer issues to see how they handled mine. See post above ^^^

Jim

I contacted them through their website earlier today. I've gone through 1800 of their Small Pistol primers out of a lot of 10,000 that I bought at the beginning of December. I'm having a failure rate of between 5 and 10%.

I initially ascribed the issues to my newness to reloading for pistol, and the fact that I started off with a progressive press. But it's apparent others are having the same issues.

Wolf sent me a reply this afternoon. They requested my contact information, where I purchased the primers, the lot number, how many I purchased and the number remaining. They're shipping me a UPS call tag to return an empty box and the original receipt to them and will process a refund. And apparently I am expected to dispose of the remaining primers "safely." I suppose I could either dump them in a bucket of WD-40, or simply use a firing pin . . . :D

I just opened a new batch of Wolf Small Pistol Primers and loaded up 1000. They were silver. Haven't shot them yet. :unsure: They all seated well. I had just cleaned my primer system on my 650 but they seemed to seat easier than the last batch of copper colored ones. The coppor colored ones, I have had no problem with.

Jman: What is the lot # on the batch you have? I wonder if there is a bad batch, and want to see if the # on mine are near to yours.

Hope mine aren't bad, but I'm glad you're getting a refund.

BTT

Wanted anyone with Wolf primer issues to see how they handled mine. See post above ^^^

Jim

I contacted them through their website earlier today. I've gone through 1800 of their Small Pistol primers out of a lot of 10,000 that I bought at the beginning of December. I'm having a failure rate of between 5 and 10%.

I initially ascribed the issues to my newness to reloading for pistol, and the fact that I started off with a progressive press. But it's apparent others are having the same issues.

Wolf sent me a reply this afternoon. They requested my contact information, where I purchased the primers, the lot number, how many I purchased and the number remaining. They're shipping me a UPS call tag to return an empty box and the original receipt to them and will process a refund. And apparently I am expected to dispose of the remaining primers "safely." I suppose I could either dump them in a bucket of WD-40, or simply use a firing pin . . . :D

With a failure rate that high I would not use them. The aggravation factor + the cost of the other components you lose make it a loser deal to me. I guess you could pull the bullets and recycle but...Jeez!

Has anyone with a 1050 tried flattening out the primers to just shy of the anvil and seeing if it improves the ignition?

I just opened a new batch of Wolf Small Pistol Primers and loaded up 1000. They were silver. Haven't shot them yet. :unsure: They all seated well. I had just cleaned my primer system on my 650 but they seemed to seat easier than the last batch of copper colored ones. The coppor colored ones, I have had no problem with.

Jman: What is the lot # on the batch you have? I wonder if there is a bad batch, and want to see if the # on mine are near to yours.

Hope mine aren't bad, but I'm glad you're getting a refund.

Lot # 9-09

Just the small pistol primers made with the nickel colored cup have been problematical for me. Especially with the light triggers I use on my Glocks. I think Wolf screwed this up pretty

good and are trying to make it good. Been using their primers for years and they've have been totally reliable, a fine value, that is until recently.

Jim

Has anyone with a 1050 tried flattening out the primers to just shy of the anvil and seeing if it improves the ignition?

I was seating the silver Wolf primers very deeply on my 1050 but not "revolver" deep. :unsure:

I was shooting them through a Glock 17 with a reduced power striker spring and getting 15% failure to fire on first strike. Several fired on the second strike.

I plan to test more with deeper seating and testing in 1911s and other guns to see if they can be used for practice. I think some brands of brass might work better too.

I'm also waiting on my refund. :cheers:

My lot # is 17-09.

I just bought some SR Wolf - Brass colored. from what I am reading there are no problems with the brass colored stuff.....?

Hate to put heavier springs on the JP trigger in my AR.

Merlin,

They've been completely reliable with my Accuracy Speaks single stage. Should not be a problem.

Jim

I just bought some SR Wolf - Brass colored. from what I am reading there are no problems with the brass colored stuff.....?

Hate to put heavier springs on the JP trigger in my AR.

I found the copper colored Wolf small pistol primers to be harder to set off than Winchester. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=56513&hl=

How do I get in touch with Wolf?

I have 5k LP and 5K SRP that are

still in the sleves. Have had my

problems with others I have loaded,

lots of FTF's. I dont want to try anymore!

Went to their web page and sent MSG!!

Edited by Rolex

To the best of my knowledge the ONLY ignition problems reported have been with the nickel colored SMALL PISTOL PRIMER. If you have their LPP and SRP primers I'd keep them and

shoot 'em up. IF you experience failures with a particular lot you should contact them. The refund process is not as automatic as you might think. They haven't

hung a "get your free primers here sign". :) So, theirs that....

Jim

Does everyone else who had problems with the silver ones have 9-09, too? Mine are 10-09 so I'll know after this weekend how they work. I was very careful to seat fully after reading this thread. Guess it's all up to the springs, now...

Does everyone else who had problems with the silver ones have 9-09, too? Mine are 10-09 so I'll know after this weekend how they work. I was very careful to seat fully after reading this thread. Guess it's all up to the springs, now...

My lot # is 18-09, for all 10,000 of them. They were ordered from Widener's on 12/7/2009 and received a week later. It's looking like they had a long run of bad 'uns.

It's too bad. I really don't want the refund . . . I just want dependable primers :(

Edited by Dodge DeBoulet

HI5-0 I have tried 1k of those-.223 SRP in

my .9mm open gun and all worked fine.

BUT the LPP-copper/brass color is a diff.

story- the last 200 rds. had over 26

rds. that did not go off. Put them into a

friends .45 and still nothing. The cups appear

to be very hard. Good Luck :ph34r:

BTT

Jim

Jman, has anyone paid attention to the depth of the firing pin strike on a wolf spp? I just started to use them for practice, so far so good.

BTT

Jim

Jman, has anyone paid attention to the depth of the firing pin strike on a wolf spp? I just started to use them for practice, so far so good.

My duds appeared to have light strikes, and a 2nd try usually set them off. I think my batch (and quite a few preceding batches, anyway) were just especially hard.

I was using them in .40 cal loads for my S&W M&Ps . . . a full-size and a compact. Same results in both guns.

BTT

Jim

Yes, and as mentioned cup hardness on the SPP appears to be the culprit. I've experimented with seating depths of 0.02 to 0.012 :surprise: No change in failure rate for

me. I have had zero issues with their SRP. I will use the SPP again no question. But not until this problem goes away.

Jim

Thanks God my Search-Fu lead me to this post. I was just going to pull the trigger over 5K Wolf SPP.

Not happening anymore.

I certainly have no desire to damage the reputation of Wolf primers and in fact I still use their small rifle primers with no problems in my AR. I do plan to test them in my open gun also.

But it certainly appears that their new silver SPPs are a bit hard for a number of us. I certainly hope they come up with a fix for the silver SPPs or go back to the copper metal which worked for me and many others 100 percent!

Oh, I use their LPP as well, w/out issues so far. It's just that even if Wolf stands behind their products, I really don't want to go through the troubled path of getting them, ask Wolf for RMA, shipping them back, and waiting for the new ones (do they even have "better" SPP ones?).

Oh, I use their LPP as well, w/out issues so far. It's just that even if Wolf stands behind their products, I really don't want to go through the troubled path of getting them, ask Wolf for RMA, shipping them back, and waiting for the new ones (do they even have "better" SPP ones?).

As far as I can tell all the new lots are silver, which are harder than the previous copper color. :angry2:

Had my first FTF Saturday in a local match. At the time I bought 5K nothing else was available. Don't think I'll repeat that mistake. FWIW this was in a S_I that has never had a problem. They are also much harder to seat than WIN or CCI.

To be honest, getting the performance guarantee honored isn't a lot of work. Email them your contact information, they'll send you a UPS pickup tag that will go on a box containing one of the empty primer boxes (with lot # on the bottom) and your purchase receipt. Call UPS to let 'em know it's ready for pickup, and a week later you'll have a check.

Whatever primers remain are yours to dispose of safely, as you see fit. If you're just plinking, they'll probably get you by until you order and receive a different batch.