Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Primers...they changed!

ks-shooter

I have used Wolf primers previously with no problems. In fact, they were excellent. The ones I just received are now Silver and my Tanfolio does not like them. I had to switch to a heavier hammer spring. Has anyone else noticed that the cup material changed and that it is harder?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used Wolf primers previously with no problems. In fact, they were excellent. The ones I just received are now Silver

Just rec'd my 1st batch of SRprimers, which are bronze or copper, and just had 3 out of 40

light hits - two went off the 2nd hit, but the other one didn't go off after five hits:(( Guess

I'll use them only for practice and hoard my last 3,000 WW primers for matches, etc.

Jack

Just got 5K Wolf SPP last week and they are the type you describe. Since these will be used in my Tanfo Limited .40 I guess I better run a few rounds up and try them out. Were you using the stock spring before??

I have used Wolf primers previously with no problems. In fact, they were excellent. The ones I just received are now Silver and my Tanfolio does not like them. I had to switch to a heavier hammer spring. Has anyone else noticed that the cup material changed and that it is harder?

I just recieved a case of LP and SP from wideners and the large are copper colored and small are silver. I have not loaded any yet though.

Ding, ding...I think you may have answered my problem. I just got my first 5,000 batch of Wolf SPP in a couple of weeks ago and found the same thing. I didn't however, realize they had been changed.

I had 5 out of the 1st 50-rounds fail to light in my G-34. A couple of these lit with a 2nd hit, the others did not. I did all the usual checks (yes, they were fully seated) and since I do run a RPFPS with lightened steel FP, I suspected either the FP spring has weakened, hard primers or both. I did finish the day with loads using both Winchester and Federal with no problems whatsoever so I know for sure the Wolf's are at minimum, harder to ignite than either of them.

The FP spring did have a high round count so I switched it out for a fresh one and have a new batch of Wolf primed ready for next trip. If I still have problems I'll likely be forced to trade off the Wolfs since I run the same setup on all my range guns. I have never had a Federal, Winchester or even CCI fail to light that was not my fault and I can count them on one hand. I think the new Wolf's are just pretty tough to light.

Which primer did you order? SP, SR, LP etc. I think they have three different versons of small rifle now, but only one small pistol and large pistol (excluding magnum). R,

Yep!! I got a box of their SR primers Box. Had "223 small rifle primers" on the box and were silver in color. At least 4-5 out of a 100 will fail to fire. Most will go the second time, some take several tries and some never go. At fist I though is was me not seating deep enough, then made sure next time to seat them. No luck. Now I only use for practice.

MDA

Just got 5K Wolf SPP last week and they are the type you describe. Since these will be used in my Tanfo Limited .40 I guess I better run a few rounds up and try them out. Were you using the stock spring before??

I was using a lighted hammer spring. But my backup gun had the 14/15 pound hammer spring. It still had two misfires, but they could have been primers not seated well.

I would recommend shooting them in practice before shooting them in a match.

you are sure the box is not rifle primers?

the one not firing at all really bothers me.

I was told to check every primer for an anvil.

ooof what a pain in the patootie.

luck....

miranda

I have double checked and the box says Small Pistol. I do not understand how some people are getting Silver ones and some are getting the gold color.

I'll check the ones I just got in from PV to see if I got the silver or gold colored ones.

I know the older SP Wolf I have are all gold.

BTW, I just started loading with the Wolf SP that are gold and I had to adjust my primer seating system because I was getting high primers and failures to fire. Once I adjusted the primer system I am 100%.

I don't know if Dillons have an adjustable primer system or not. My Lee Loadmaster does. :ph34r:

Chris

Which primer did you order? SP, SR, LP etc. I think they have three different versons of small rifle now, but only one small pistol and large pistol (excluding magnum). R,

I ordered 10K SP and 10K SR....these ARE the SP. Not magnum, just SP.

I don't know if Dillons have an adjustable primer system or not. My Lee Loadmaster does. :ph34r:

Chris

Chris, to the best of my knowledge, my 650 has no adjustment for primer seating. But I am curious to know what color your primers are. I have had ZERO failures with the old gold color and WAY TO MANY with these silver. I may have to get a heavy 17 pound spring (if they make it) for the Tanfo.

Thanks, Tom

small pistol= silver

small rifle magnum= gold/bronze

:mellow:

thought they always have been...no?

No, at least not the ones I have loaded. All were gold/bronze before this shipment.

Edited by ks-shooter

I have a rather large order of SPs that just came in. When I pick them up I will check them and report back. My Open usually lights everything, so if some of you guys are stuck, perhaps I can buy some of them out so you can order something else. PM me if you want to unload some.

JT

I'll load some SP for the Rio club match this weekend and report back as well. Running then in a G17 with a Vanek Classic. Has a reduced power striker spring. May end up with a factory striker spring back in it. I can live with that if I get 100% ignition.

My Wolf Small Pistol Primers are golden in color. No misfires yet, but I just started using them. They don't seat as well as Federal so I don't think I'll buy Wolf again. I'll just spend the extra money for Federals.

small pistol= silver

small rifle magnum= gold/bronze

:mellow:

thought they always have been...no?

No, ALL my Wolf Small Pistol primers have been gold/bronze.....my Wolf Small Rifle Magnum are silver and ARE harder than the SP as expected.

Lee

Just to make sure, I checked the other boxes of the 5,000 new Wolf SPP I got in. Sure enough, all are nickle plated. I don't know if this change is why they're harder to ignite or not but there's no doubt, they are. If Federal ever catches up, I know what the cure is.

From my Weidner's purchase. I haven't tested yet. From the last couple of batches of Wolf's I've learned to crush those primers home and they light.

I'm squishing mine in good. We'll see.