Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Primers...they changed!

ks-shooter

I read thisi last night as I sat here looking at an unopenend box from Powder Valley. Well that got my curiosity piqued, so I opened them up and sure enough they are silver. I took them out to the shop and loaded a hundred.

The only one that would not seat flush was in a R-P nickel case. I tried to re-seat it, to no avail. THis happens to be the free brass the local SO leaves on the range nearly weekly. All others of similar stamp loaded fine. They are harder to seat than most other primers I have loaded, even a bit harder than CCI SPP. I will try them out this evening.

Jimmy

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my pic, the primers on the right are SPP's and have silver cups. The primers on the left are SRP's and have copper cups. These are both from the recent Weidner's Wolf primer stock, and I haven't tested any of them.

CRUSH the primers home. If they aren't flat, they aren't seated. I've been using Wolf primers off and on for the last two years and had my stint of about a half dozen light strikes. Win brass seems to have a touch shallower primer pocket and the primer sits flush after being seated instead of recessed a touch. They still work, but I make sure to really flatten out the primer. Wolf SRP's seem to fit in Speer and Fed brass the best.

I'm finding this true as well. I loaded the test batches for this weekend half in Win and half in CCI brass. The CCI went below flush with no problem but "flush" is about all you get with Winchester. I note several people have mentioned problems seating the Wolfs but that has'nt been the case for me. So far, they slide in and bottom out with a slick feel akin to Federals. As for "crushing them home"...my bench is already high and press is on a strong mount so leaning into the handle from the shoulder is putting a lot of pressure on 'em. The ones I had a problem with were no doubt seated...I just hope the new FP spring does the job.

I used the new Wolf silver primers in a club match this morning. No misfires or problems of any kind. I loaded 800 rounds using the new Wolfs earlier this week. A few were hard to seat but I I believe it was because I was using mixed brass. I have had this issue using CCI and Winchester. So far I would have to say I did not notice any difference in the new Wolfs and the old, or other USA brands.

I shot 50 of the small rifle in my 38 super. Just got them from Wideners. Copper colored.

No problems, all fired, but they seemed a little harder to seat than Winchester.

I used the new Wolf silver primers in a club match this morning. No misfires or problems of any kind. I loaded 800 rounds using the new Wolfs earlier this week. A few were hard to seat but I I believe it was because I was using mixed brass. I have had this issue using CCI and Winchester. So far I would have to say I did not notice any difference in the new Wolfs and the old, or other USA brands.

Tuned trigger or stock?

Tuned trigger or stock?

Factory STI Edge 40 cal

I'm getting an unacceptable number of high primers with the silver Wolf SPP. And I got next to zero with federals or winch.

Even with extra seating effort, I am getting about five or six high primers per thousand on my Dillon 650 loading 40SW into mixed brass.

Winchester brass seems the most problematic. Most go off on second try for what ever thats worth.

Wolf is my practice ammo, while I save my federals and Winchesters for matches.

BB

BlackBuzzard, I had the exact opposite experience loading on my 650. I loaded a quick 100 rounds of 40SW with the new Wolf silver SPP. Not one high primer, mixed range brass too. I will fire them off

tomorrow and hopefully they will all go bang the first time.

Shot my match this morning with the Production G17 and the new silver Wolf SPP. No issues.

Except my sh!tty shooting. :cheers:

Forgot to mention I had the same issues when I shot yesterday. However the primers did their part.

Well, I shot round #2 with the new Wolf SPP today in the G-34 and it ain't pretty. I thought maybe my RPFPS had weakened so I checked all the mechanics of the gun for cleanliness, rough spots, etc., all perfect. Installed a new Wolff RPFPS and gave the Wolfs another test of 50 rounds, had two more FTF. As usual, Winchesters and Federals ran without a hitch. It ain't the gun and it ain't the seating...what it is, is...these are just hard primers. No doubt a stock setup will run 'em but with a tuned trigger, I can't depend on 'em.

I've been using some pretty hard pressure to seat and am still getting high primers. Had two more ftf because of it. This is exactly the same issue I used to get with the Wolf small rifle and why I switched to small pistol. I think they are using the same cup now for both SPP and SR.

I opened my Small Rifle Primers and they are copper colored. Batch number is 1/09.

Small Rifle Magnum primers are also copper colored with a bach number of 3/09.

Small Pistol are silver in a batch number of 8/09 and I believe, as a number of folks said, harder than the copper colored ones.

I believe that most people with stock hammer/striker springs are getting satsifactory ignition (as long as they were able to get them seated properly).

I think my replacement hammer springs that are on order will solve most of my problem. I just need to check for high primers more carefully.

Thanks for all the input! :)

Just received my shippment of Small Rifle Primers (or at least that's what I ordered) from Widener's today. Opened them up and behold they are Small Rifle - .223 Rem. The invoice says Small Rifle Magnum primers. Whats the difference, if any between SRP's, Small rifle - 223 and SR magnums?

Well here is my report for what it is worth. I just shot 50 rounds of 40 SW loaded with the new silver Wolf SPP. All of them went bang. No problems. As I reported in an earlier post, I didn't have any "high" primers when I was loading on my 650. Yes this is only a small sample, but so far so good. I shot the rounds out of an XD tactical.

I shot 500 of the Wolf Silver Small Pistol Primers today out of my Glock. Trigger job with Wolff Light striker spring. I had one failure to fire on the first strike. Primer was very high. Still above flush after first strike. Loaded it up and hit it again. Went off on the second hit. Definitely my fault with the high primer and not a primer issue. I was a little worried after reading this and a couple other threads, but they are working fine for me. This was just my practice ammo and I'm sure I would have found the high primer when loading my boxes for match ammo. I have been using CCI before my supply ran out and the Wolf do seem harder to seat. Seems like I have less feel with the Wolf.

I don't know if Dillons have an adjustable primer system or not. My Lee Loadmaster does. :ph34r:

Chris

Chris, to the best of my knowledge, my 650 has no adjustment for primer seating. But I am curious to know what color your primers are. I have had ZERO failures with the old gold color and WAY TO MANY with these silver. I may have to get a heavy 17 pound spring (if they make it) for the Tanfo.

Thanks, Tom

I just received 8K.. They are all gold. I havent used them yet. Sounds like Im in luck since they are the gold LPP.

To those who got the silver color Wolf primers; Where did you receive them from?

Sounds like there have been problems for those who got the silver colored ones. But, no problems for those who got the gold/copper colored ones.

Also, for those who got the silver colored primers; Can you post a pick like SA did showing the silver primers and the package they came in?

Chris

I received my gold LPP from Powder Valley.

I finished my test batch of 100 the other day and ended up with one high primer that failed to fire on the first strike. I'm nearly out of Winchesters, so fingers crossed with a little more care in seating I can get the Wolfs to work consistently, as even 1% failures doesn't really cut it.

Finally got a chance to run up 200 .40 S&W with Wolf SPP from Weidners recent shipment (Silver colored). All went bang but I did have several high primers in my mixed brass. I have always thought CCI's were difficult to seat on my 550B but these are worse.I use the roller handle so it takes a little bit more pressure to seat them well. The only REAL problem I did note was that during a pre inspection of the primers I noted several that were not round. These were marked before loading and when inspected post loading they were creased or wrinkled. They did go bang but the primer strike was a bit deep on these... I just picked up 2K CCI SPP just in case this 5K Wolf's don't work out.....

I shot some production, Tanfo, light springs, mashed the hell out of them to seat them and still had 4 out of 35 not light. I don't know what's going on here guys. I used some CCI and found the same issues and every one that doesn't seat right is a Win case. I can't find any anomalies in measurements either. As a last resort I broke out some old WSR I have been saving and loaded 15 of them and even gave them a light seat. They all were below flush.

Anyone have some Win SRP or SPP you want to trade for Wolf SPP?

From what I'm reading, the 550 is having issues with them, but not the 650 or 1050. I even put a shim under the primer bar spacer, still no joy.

Edited by JThompson