Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Primers...they changed!

ks-shooter

Just like SA Friday's, mine are all gold/copper color. The SP I have are small pistol magnums. The SP Magnums, LP, and SR are all the same color.

BTW, I think if anyone is experiencing a failure to ignite then seating them a bit more/harder should solve the problem. Just my .02

Chris

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big dif for me... I've been using these for some time SPP and these are sliver, but not only that, some are not very well formed... they look misshapen to me. They are not the same as what I was getting before. I dunno how they will light, but beware, there is something off here. I retract my statement that I will buy these if they don't light for you.

I will load 200 tomorrow for practice and tell you how the light.

JT

Edited by JThompson

I've shot about 3k rounds of SP since my Wideners shipment arrived. Only 1 light strike, which was from my non-guaged practice bin. Could have easily been a high primer and it shot the second time. All shot out of a Glock but I'm using a stock trigger. Seems ok to me.

To those who got the silver color Wolf primers; Where did you receive them from?

Sounds like there have been problems for those who got the silver colored ones. But, no problems for those who got the gold/copper colored ones.

Also, for those who got the silver colored primers; Can you post a pick like SA did showing the silver primers and the package they came in?

Chris

This is disappointing. I researched the quality of Wolf primers before deciding to purchase them when Weidners had them available. All info I had found previous to this indicated these to be a quality product. It seems this American made primer shortage has us by the kahonas and we're being made to make other choices. It would really be nice if a spokesperson from Wolf would shed some light on the issues with the current changes noted to their SPP. I don't mind losing the money spent on the primers if the quality is not there but really not looking forward to loading up a bunch of questionable cartridges. Also a concern, longevity... If they won't light today, will they next year??? I will be able to test a couple hundred rounds this week but right now it's probably a good thing I was not able to make the Area 7 match this weekend.....

This is disappointing. I researched the quality of Wolf primers before deciding to purchase them when Weidners had them available. All info I had found previous to this indicated these to be a quality product. It seems this American made primer shortage has us by the kahonas and we're being made to make other choices. It would really be nice if a spokesperson from Wolf would shed some light on the issues with the current changes noted to their SPP. I don't mind losing the money spent on the primers if the quality is not there but really not looking forward to loading up a bunch of questionable cartridges. Also a concern, longevity... If they won't light today, will they next year??? I will be able to test a couple hundred rounds this week but right now it's probably a good thing I was not able to make the Area 7 match this weekend.....

Rod call me

I got my order of small pistol from Wideners and there are silver in color. Loaded up 150 last night and they all went off in my open gun which has a trigger pull of 2lbs.

Jon

Without having some of the silver ones to check I don't know what the problem is for sure. However, it really sounds like a cup hardness issue rather than a lack of primer material in the cup. So, it probably isn't a big deal for some of us but for those with Glocks or other guns with lightened hammer/striker springs these may be a big problem.

I would like to see the packaging to see if it is different from the gold/copper colored primer packaging.

It sounds like Widerners has shipped some silver colored primers. Anybody else?

Chris

Without having some of the silver ones to check I don't know what the problem is for sure. However, it really sounds like a cup hardness issue rather than a lack of primer material in the cup. So, it probably isn't a big deal for some of us but for those with Glocks or other guns with lightened hammer/striker springs these may be a big problem.

I would like to see the packaging to see if it is different from the gold/copper colored primer packaging.

It sounds like Widerners has shipped some silver colored primers. Anybody else?

Chris

Same packaging guys, but the old primers shined in both brass and silver. These almost look like lead they are dingy and some have a lumpy look where the taper from the flat to the vertical. I have to get another couple hours sack time, but I'll take some pictures for you today when I get up and load.

Scanned images.

post-1015-1249654693_thumb.jpg

Left- Wolf Small Rifle Magnum Lot # 1-09 From Powder Valley.

Right- Wolf Small Pistol Lot # 9-09 From Widners.

Edited by JimmyM

Here is a picture of the packaging. I honestly do not remember if the old packaging is any different.

post-9465-1249658954_thumb.jpg

post-9465-1249658965_thumb.jpg

I have used Wolf primers previously with no problems. In fact, they were excellent. The ones I just received are now Silver and my Tanfolio does not like them. I had to switch to a heavier hammer spring. Has anyone else noticed that the cup material changed and that it is harder?

Did the Tanfoglio fire them ok with the heavier spring? Did they work in your other guns?

Sounds like it might have been Vodka Night at the primer factory......" Boris..... pass me a box for these capitalistic primers......it don't matter what box, ....pass me the bottle.......another box.......Boris.... quit Bogarting the bottle.......another box......I wuv my Job....."

JS

I've only opened one box of the 10k SP I got from Wideners, they are silver colored. I fired 10 test rounds in each of my G34s with Vanek Classic GM kits and they worked fine. I know I should sample more, but I'm still hesitant to "spend" primers.

Did the Tanfoglio fire them ok with the heavier spring? Did they work in your other guns?

Even with a heavier 14# spring I had two failures (one might be a high primer..maybe). I am going for the stock spring or heavier like 18#.

I took some measurements and found a .004 variation in the ODs. Nothing major there.... OAL seems within specs too.

Loading 200 for practice now, will report back tonight.

Edited by JThompson

Loaded and fired 60 of the small pistol primers a half hour ago, and all went bang. This from a dirty G17 with a reduced power striker. Not conclusive but 60 for 60 is a good start. As mentioned I MADE SURE these were seated firmly and as deep as possible. It helps having a priming system you can feel the seating process from start to finish. I'm feeling a bit better about this. :cheers:

Just loaded 200... I really gave it a good push on the seat and found a some of them that were right at flush or just over. :unsure:

please explain 'just over' ?

the primer is proud of the flat of the case ?

miranda

To those who got the silver color Wolf primers; Where did you receive them from?

Sounds like there have been problems for those who got the silver colored ones. But, no problems for those who got the gold/copper colored ones.

Also, for those who got the silver colored primers; Can you post a pick like SA did showing the silver primers and the package they came in?

Chris

In my pic, the primers on the right are SPP's and have silver cups. The primers on the left are SRP's and have copper cups. These are both from the recent Weidner's Wolf primer stock, and I haven't tested any of them.

CRUSH the primers home. If they aren't flat, they aren't seated. I've been using Wolf primers off and on for the last two years and had my stint of about a half dozen light strikes. Win brass seems to have a touch shallower primer pocket and the primer sits flush after being seated instead of recessed a touch. They still work, but I make sure to really flatten out the primer. Wolf SRP's seem to fit in Speer and Fed brass the best.

post-7549-1249667687_thumb.jpg

Chris

In my pic, the primers on the right are SPP's and have silver cups. The primers on the left are SRP's and have copper cups. These are both from the recent Weidner's Wolf primer stock, and I haven't tested any of them.

CRUSH the primers home. If they aren't flat, they aren't seated. I've been using Wolf primers off and on for the last two years and had my stint of about a half dozen light strikes. Win brass seems to have a touch shallower primer pocket and the primer sits flush after being seated instead of recessed a touch. They still work, but I make sure to really flatten out the primer. Wolf SRP's seem to fit in Speer and Fed brass the best.

YES! Win brass is where I have the most issues as well.

Miranda: Yes proud primers esp with WIn brass.

Update, I shot them all even the ones that were a little high and all lit no problem. I shoot an open with an XL firing pit and a heavy spring though.

Edited by JThompson