Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Primers...they changed!

ks-shooter

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if I was the only one that had issues with the new nickel wolf sp primers. I loaded 200 of them in 9mm mixed brass for my G34 with lightning strike lightened striker and 4lb. spring. I had probably 5 or 6 that failed to ignite the first try (lit after second try), even though they had a good dimple in the primer.

I loaded 200 more and paid extra attention to 'crushing' the primer home and making sure they were flush or below and had zero issues out of the same G34 and another mostly stock G34 I use for IDPA

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to trying some of the Wolf SR (standard SR) primers I bought a while back. These are the normal copper colored primers. I loaded them in .38SC and ran off two 20-round strings over the chrono. I then ran two 20-round strings of the same load, but using Fed SPM primers (loaded the two batches back-to-back). All 100 went bang just fine and they look great (no flattening to speak of). Interesting, but the FSPM were an average 13fps faster. Since it was 40 rounds with each I figure that's a pretty solid figure for the difference. They do take a bit more effort to seat, but I'm going to keep shooting them to see how they work out....so far it's a good sign.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to post an update. Their was some question about Wolf Ammunition standing behind their primers earlier in this thread. They will. I have recently ran into a few ignition problems with the Small Pistol Primer they make. This has been more of an annoyance than problem since more deliberate and careful seating technique result in 100% ignition.

I contacted Wolf via email and explained all of the above. They requested place of purchase, lot number info, type, quantity and my address. Five days later I received a shipping label for the remaining primers. Wolf guaranteed a full refund for the unused portion of my order.

Thought some might be interested.

Jim

For over a year, I had been using Wolf SMALL PISTOL primers which I bought from a local reloading store.

Those cups were always golden/brass coloured, I never had any issues, really liked them.

The gun was a G34, with standard internals, no light springs, polishing, etc.

When primers dried up, I placed a 10,000 primer order with one of our favourite www stores.

When they arrived, I noticed that the SMALL PISTOL primers were all silver in colour.

I shot less than 2,000 and averaged 3-5% duds (1-2 per stage: OUCH!!).

The gun is still the same G34, still standard internals.

I did contact Wolf and they send me a UPS return sticker, saying they will reimburse.

Now, I just purchased, for a 2011, a Thousand SMALL RIFLE primers and shot about 350 rounds.

No problems whatsoever. These primers are copper coloured.

My guess is that the main problem is with the silvery ones and I think Wolf is aware of it.

If someone wants their customer service e-mail, feel free to PM me.

Strange that this just came up. My GF had two misfires in my M&P this last week that I've been staring at for the last week. Both have silvery colored wolf primers in them. I suspected high primers but now I have my doubts. I've never had any problems with the gun before.

The Wolf SPP I have been shooting were copper colored. The ones I just got are silver colored.

I found that the copper colored ones had to be seated deeper than either Fed or Win that I had been using.

I am using a 1050 and I have to adjust the Wolf seating depth 1/8 turn or more over Win and the Win need to be seated deeper than the Fed.

I'll try some of the silver primers and report back.

Just out of curiosity I put my micrometer on a Wolf and Win SPP. The Wolf is nearly .003" thicker. This "might" explain some of the light strike issues.

Jim

These silver-colored Wolf primers do also require a bit more force than the "pink-looking" ones. As others have mentioned before, I have had issues with them in some pistols while other pistols will ignite them without a hitch.

I had my first experience with Wolf recently. They were the new silver ones. I took a class at USSA and shot 1300+ rounds in 2 days through my G34 and I had over 25 Failures to Fire. I could get some of the rounds to fire on the 2nd attempt but some never fired at all. I did get pretty darn fast at clearing the malfunctions out of the class/primers though. :lol:

I have only had experience with the brass colored Wolf LP primers....and so far, after over 12,000 of them....not ONE single misfire, missing anvil, missing compound or anything bad at all.....only trouble is that they don't seem to like seating all the way in progressive machines....after I run my loads...I like to go back and use a hand primer tool to make sure that the anvils are contacting the bottom of the primer pocket....then again, I would do that with ANY primers I am loading....probably not necessary, but better safe than sorry....I would hate to have a high primer and some kind of round going off out of battery....

I had a round go off on me that way once.....it was someone elses re-load and gun. (kimber tle2 if I remember crrectly)...the gun double fed and the first round that came up had a high primer....the second round that popped out of the mag and caught that primer, set round one off.....the gun was not in battery....scared the crap out of me and the guy who owned the gun...those weren't Wolf primers....Win. LP.....so just goes to show....ANY brand of primer can be dangerous or unreliable, if you don't catch a improperly seated primer....

I will continue to use Wolf, and see no reason to use anything else at this point....unless Win. LP goes back to the $25/1000 range

From everything I have read and seen it still appears that only the new silver primers present a problem and only in guns that have a light stiking hammer/striker spring. I have not seen any stock guns that will not set them off, but lightened triggers that employ lightened springs may not be 100% reliable with the silver primers. I don't honestly think there is anything wrong with them, they just got harder to set off and in my opinion harder to seat than the brass ones I had used with 100 percent reliability. My stupid mistake was loading up with the silver ones and heading off to an Area match without every testing them :wacko: and why would I, they always worked before :rolleyes: . I will not make that mistake again :blush:

From everything I have read and seen it still appears that only the new silver primers present a problem and only in guns that have a light stiking hammer/striker spring. ...

My G34 has stock standard internals and could not set the silver ones off. Primer was hand-seated and finger-checked. No problem with the brass or copper coloured.

Perhaps the silver ones are from a different plant????

From everything I have read and seen it still appears that only the new silver primers present a problem and only in guns that have a light stiking hammer/striker spring. I have not seen any stock guns that will not set them off, but lightened triggers that employ lightened springs may not be 100% reliable with the silver primers. I don't honestly think there is anything wrong with them, they just got harder to set off and in my opinion harder to seat than the brass ones I had used with 100 percent reliability. My stupid mistake was loading up with the silver ones and heading off to an Area match without every testing them :wacko: and why would I, they always worked before :rolleyes: . I will not make that mistake again :blush:

just goes to show, that we can't take ANYTHING for granted in the reloading process....I have done the exact same thing with other variables....OAL, different charges etc.....expecting that my tiny little change would equal nothing, and blammo...accident....I think one of the few facts I have come across in reloading is....YOU CAN"T TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED.....test test test test test test test and after all of that....test some more...

YOU CAN"T TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED

You can take for granted the fact that you can't take anything for granted.

I gave a few hundered of the Wolfs that work perfectly for me to a friend who shoots a SIG. He had nothing but problems - numerous misfires. He gave me a box of his ammo with these primers (I have yet to try it), and they appear to be properly seated. I look forward to finding out if it's a difference in the reloading technique or difference in firing pin energy.

The Wolf SPP I have been shooting were copper colored. The ones I just got are silver colored.

I found that the copper colored ones had to be seated deeper than either Fed or Win that I had been using.

I am using a 1050 and I have to adjust the Wolf seating depth 1/8 turn or more over Win and the Win need to be seated deeper than the Fed.

I'll try some of the silver primers and report back.

These silver Wolf primers aren't working well for me. The other day I loaded 90 rounds using the new silver Wolf primers and the same primer depth setting on my 1050 that I had been using for the brass colored Wolf primers. The brass Wolf SPP had been working 100% in my Glock 17 with a reduced power striker spring. The silver Wolf had several failure to fire.

Today I tested some new silver Wolf SPP that had been seated even deeper by my 1050. They were all well below flush. Out of 90 rounds, I had 14 that wouldn't fire on the first strike. 7 of them fired on the second strike. 4 of them fired on the 3rd strike using my stock G-19.

I'll try these in some 1911s and CZs when I get a chance. I may have to use heavy striker/hammer springs. :angry2:

Has anybody contacted Wolf yet and what was the answer?

edit to add: I sent an e-mail to Wolf. I'll report what they say.

Edited by Bill Nesbitt

Yes. So far they stand by their product. I am expecting a refund for the unused

portion of my primer order. I had to send them an empty carton so they could

verify the Lot #. Along with it proof of purchase. They mailed me a

UPS shipping label to simplify that process. Appreciated that. Wolf has in fact been

very accommodating. I'll know more next week and report back.

Jim

Yes. So far they stand by their product. I am expecting a refund for the unused

portion of my primer order. I had to send them an empty carton so they could

verify the Lot #. Along with it proof of purchase. They mailed me a

UPS shipping label to simplify that process. Appreciated that. Wolf has in fact been

very accommodating. I'll know more next week and report back.

Jim

Same for me. They're going to send me a shipping label. They answered my e-mail very quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Received the refund today. Since shipping primers is very restricted, looks like I'm to "depose of" the unused portion safely. :) Will confirm Monday.

They aren't exaggerating when it come to 100% satisfaction guarantee. I impressed.

Jim

edit to follow up. Today I received conformation to safely (and legally) depose of the unused primers. Guess I can manage that. :cheers:

Edited by Jman