Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap crap that works okay

Tim James

Pardon my tongue-in-cheek thread title.

I have a birthday coming up and hoped to grab a comp, dot, and maybe a new grip for my bare bones + JP trigger AR-15. Thought I'd browse over to the forums and check the pulse of what's new, but then realized how burned out I am with Internet research and endless self-doubt over what to buy.

Have you guys tackled inexpensive or high value compensators or dots recently? This is for a local match with 50 yard targets and not really to win, just to have more fun with my toy. I'm vain and gun-nerdy enough that I want something a bit above Wal-Mart level, but get a little nonplussed thinking about spending $500+ on the latest tactical goodies for such little reason. I hope no one faints when I say this, but I have a strong understanding of my personality type and literally do not care to "do it once and do it right" on this subject. :rolleyes:

I'm kicking myself for not trying out everyone's accessories at the local match before my birthday.

Scope - best bang for your buck, do everything cheap is the Millet tac dms http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=186660

or you can go really cheap and get a Tasco tube red dot and a riser.

a really great affordable comp would be the Miculek or the newer little Nordic..http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=247328

Edited by P.Pres

Hell dude...for a 50 yard match let's say with head shots being probably the worst shot, just about anything will work well. There's a Simmons Pro Diamond in the Classifieds for sale in the classifieds now for $120 (I think). That scope is awesome and great for close in stuff too.

Otherwise...I'd consider iron sights.

As for a grip, a standard one and some epoxy is your friend. Send to Freedom Gunworks for some flare.

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

I would take a look at red dots that Primary Arms offer. They have some aimpoint knockoffs that actually got some pretty decent reviews on AR15.com and supposed to hold zero. I think the most expensive one is $100 bucks. If they work, for 50 yard shots, I can't see how you can go wrong.

Comps, scopes, triggers, and handguards do not win matches, shooters who practice and have good zeroes do, so don't get too wrapped around the axle about equipment choices (as long as it's reliable and holds zero).

As to the original quesion (to copy P.Pres' answers!) the Miculek and Nordic comp are inexpensive and effective. Millet, Simmons, Bushnell, and Leupold all offer inexpensive scopes which are adequate for 3 gunning.

If you have fairly big hands you might find the standard AR grip a little small. I've recently converted everything to Magpul's MIAD grips. Comes with inserts to customize the front/back length to your hand. Much better, more natural angle on the trigger is the result, for me. The little compartment can hold batteries, an allen or torx wrench for your scope, an extra firing pin, etc.

Not crap, but cheap enough and the grip texture is a little more secure to boot.

Curtis

even the best scopes can crap out, and some of the cheap ones can do very well for longer than you'd think. The Nordic brake would be my first choice for inexpensive and effective. weaver's 1-3x is a decent scope from what I've heard and read. i have a BSA red dot on a Marlin 45-70, that has lasted for hundreds of +P rounds, it kicks much more than a lowly mouse gun ever could. So you never know how good crap is until you try it.

trapr

Weaver 1-3 is the best deal in cheap multigun optics.

It held it's own at the R and R 3 gun against better optics I however failed to do the same against some better shooters finishing 3rd.

I would offer that the Miculek is the best for the buck.

Without letting the cat out of the bag on the next comp article I have some "real time" muzzle movement graphs

that show what you can't see but might perceive on firing.

Patrick

I bought a Aimpoint CompML2 Red Dot Sight 30mm Tube 2x 2 MOA Dot Matte for $390.00 NIB. I'm not sure how cheap you were wanting to go, but that's not too bad of a price compared to other good dots.

Let us know what you pick and how it works out for you

Edited by joshua79109

the simmons is the bomb-it IS my backup. shoot one of those for awhile and you will be amazed...i used to chuckle that i put it on a $215 larue mount. but it is a serious scope.

Edited by outerlimits

Comps, scopes, triggers, and handguards do not win matches, shooters who practice and have good zeroes do so don't get to wrapped around the axle about equipment choices (as long as it's reliable and holds zero).

Hehe, it's like a Surgeon General's warning when asking about some nice new cigarettes to try.

I'd like to go with a red dot, again just for random reasons like having fun and trying them out, not to win.

Leaning toward the Miculek compensator. Why? Just a whim! It's so liberating compared to endless weeks of Internet research I usually put into most geek purchases. :)

Another option for a more affordable red dot sight is the Vortex Strikefire. They have a forum in the industry section over at AR15.com. American owned brick and mortar buisness, sight is designed here and built in china. They have a kickbutt warranty and are good people to deal with. The Strikefire is about $130-150, comes with the mount that will work on an AR, flip caps, and a 2x magnifier that threads onto the eyepiece end of the sight. Works like a champ and it's good to know they stand behind their product. I have one of their first gen Strikefires and love it.

I also have a Millet DMS-1 scope which I think is fantastic for the price.

No help on comps as I haven't gone down that road yet, but am paying attention to threads about them for future purchase.

Weaver 1x3 with a $31.25 CAA cantilever mount. Hose like hell on the close stuff and if you know your rifle and ammo you can get to 350 yds easily.

DaG

Get a thin front sight post ( you can get KNS front sight posts from DPMS for $7.50 each), and a Miculek comp. If you know someone that is set up wholesale with Brownells, Miculek comps are only $30.00. Get some Pmags or C products mags and you will be ready.

Hurley

Get a thin front sight post ( you can get KNS front sight posts from DPMS for $7.50 each), and a Miculek comp. If you know someone that is set up wholesale with Brownells, Miculek comps are only $30.00. Get some Pmags or C products mags and you will be ready.

Hurley

I hate to steal a thread here but which KNS front sight do you like best and why?

Hurley

I hate to steal a thread here but which KNS front sight do you like best and why?

I use a .052" round ball. I paint the ball white and then put a coat of flourescent orange over it. For up close stuff, I look across the top of the rear sight and use the ball like a dot. For longer ranges, I use a six o'clock hold (using an A2 rear sight) out to 300 and either dial up or hold over beyond that. I also have a .032" ball sight post on my AR10. It is better for longer ranges, but not as effective for the up close stuff. I am certainly no top shooter, this is just what works for me.

Hurley

a really great affordable comp would be the Miculek or the newer little Nordic..http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=247328

I believe that the nordic comp you reference is for their AR22 which is a 22lr. It might work for a 223 but was not designed for that much gas and might exit the weapon in an unexpected manner.

Edited by Charles Bond

I believe that the nordic comp you reference is for their AR22 which is a 22lr. It might work for a 223 but was not designed for that much gas and might exit the weapon in an unexpected manner.

I believe there all the same, the Midway add states AR-15, but anyway here's another link

http://www.cpwsa.com/nordic_components.htm

I believe there all the same, the Midway add states AR-15, but anyway here's another link

http://www.cpwsa.com/nordic_components.htm

I emailed Tim Ubl this morning and being the captain of industry he is he was in the office and his reply is below:

Hi Charles,

Yes….it is big time effective for the AR15, we also have a new comp in 2 sizes that is even more effective (but a little louder) called the corvette comp….available for .223 or .308

Nordic is a long time supporter of the shooting sports and has been since inception of their company. They are also very good people to work with.

Edited by Charles Bond

Oh....our comp will work quite nicely on an AR15, and will suprise you at just how flat it keeps your rifle shooting.

As for cheap "crap" (and our comp may be cheap, but not crap) I am going to try a Leapers 1-4x28 30mm tube on my 308 for the DPMS trigun....that is, if it makes it thru sight in. It is a true 1x at low level, the optics have, well, a little distortion....but as I am only going to be shooting 200yds max, if it survives sight in.....it may be a viable option for $90.00 or so. Actually, I've heard they can take the abuse of a 308. But if they can't, (like in the middle of the match).....I have my Iron sights......should be interesting. OH....and I am using their scope mouont too!! OK....should be fun AND interesting!!!!

Tim

And by the way.....I am the king of finding cheap crap that works....unfortunately.....I also find a lot of cheap crap that doesn't work!!!

Edited by TRUBL