Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Dremel model/package for firearm work

cold

For those of you that use dremel tools to enlarge, smooth our or refine areas on whatever firearm you use them on, what model do you prefer and why?

I have used other peoples in the past but am looking at buying one of my own, looking for some suggestions on a model or package.

Thanks in advance!

I've gone through 3 variable speed and one single speed Dremels, the switch on the variables are always breaking. I'm using a cheapie I picked up at an autoparts store on sale for less than $15 and it's still going strong.

be afraid, be very afraid...

:roflol:

I go tthe 400 XPR Rotary Tool Kit. Busted a lot of stuff with it... :roflol:

Thats the one I am looking at online now, going to stop by lowes and see what they have in stock on the way home from the range.

I second the "Get a Foredom". You will not regret it. Look around on craigslist and ebay for a used one. Replacement parts are readily available and Foredom's website has owner's and user's manuals. I bought mine for less than $100 from a jeweler that was going out of business. A Dremel or Foredom has its uses when it comes to working on firearms. The key is to know where and when NOT to break out the rotary tool. I think most Gunsmiths have a rotary tool and use them on a regular basis.

+1 on the warnings about the evil dremel. Freehand work of any type on metal with a high speed rotating drill if fraught with peril. I know this by having butchered more than one perfectly fine pistol before cutting the cord of the damned thing so it wouldn't tempt me again.

This of course does not apply to Mike "Mr. Dremel" Carmoney.

I too believe the Foredom is the tool. I have two.

The slower speed and greater torque make it more controllable.

Having torque allows me to use pressure to cut, carve and polish and maintain better control than the light touch

required of the low torque Dremel.

Patrick

I have a regular Dremmel with all there stuff that works great. On my lathe use a bar that fits in a lantern post threaded for the thread on a dremmels body, so I can tool post grind small things. It's hard work for any tool so bought a cheap dremmel knock off at Home Depot. Thing runs and runs no problems at all, cost less than 15 bucks

Boats

My Dremel and I are inseparable. The relationship started on shaky ground but after several hundred dollars of teaching, maybe thousands, we have learned to appreciate each others needs and wants. I don't ask her to do what she is incapable of and in return she promised not to waste any more of my money. Occasionally she lies but I love her !

I am from the school that believes that you should Dremel first ask questions later. Coming from a Glock background it's kinda our mill. I have a Dremel variable that has served me well but was getting a little noisy, at a local thrift store I found another variable with the official Dremel foot locker full of accessories. I also have an old Dremel that runs off a 6 c-cell battery pack that I used to take with me to matches in case I got an uncontrollable urge to Dremel.

My Dremel is a variable speed flex shaft model that I got from the PX back in 1981 or so. Still going strong and enough moxie to still run the 3/4' drum sanders that work so well to blend the back of a 1911 slide, frame, and Ed Brown beavertail. I don't know if they still make this model, I haven't seen it anywhere they sell Dremels locally...when she finally passes I'll probably go the Foredom route too.

be afraid, be very afraid...

:roflol:

I go tthe 400 XPR Rotary Tool Kit. Busted a lot of stuff with it... :roflol:

+1 400 XPR then add a seperate polishing kit, got to have those [spelling](cratex) wheels !!

But dont let the wife know you have it if she's crafty, wore out all my tips and I always have to go looking

for it ..