Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Detonation

Fireant

Right up close and personal. I had a round not chamber all the way and when I did the usual hold the back of the slide with the weak hand and hit the frame with the strong had drill......boom! I thought I'd blown a damn finger or two off. I could not feel any of them. I counted to 5 a bunch of times to make sure they were still there. Then I wiggled them to see if they still worked and then counted again. It was 2 hours ago and I'm just now getting the feeling back in my left hand. I did not have my hand over the ejection port. I can only imagine how many fingers I could have damaged if I had. I looked for the piece of brass but could not find it. I don't know what that round hit to set it off, but it was not pleasant. On a side note I sure am glad I was wearing black shorts, it's hard to tell if they are wet or not from a distance :ph34r:

Glad no trip to the ER :surprise:

The stuff we do has risks...It could have been a real bad thing.

I am happy you are ok!

Jim

Quote from Ole Dad. "Great Googly Moogly Son... Your gonna put your damned eye out."

Glad you didn't.

:cheers:

Hmmm, never thought about lottery tickets. The only thing I wanted to do was throw the gun down, but I quickly cleared it and then counted my fingers again. I do have to clean a bunch of unburnt powder off my gun. It seems to be fine, although I did not put anymore rounds down range after that.

Glad you didn't get hurt. Reading his makes me think about the thread with the toe for a thumb. Where was Kenny? I bet he laughed! You know, he wouldn't be any good to get you to the hospital, he'd be laughing too hard... slapping your hand asking if it hurts. :roflol:

Well funny that you ask where Kenny was. He was right behind the the are I was shooting in and hapened by while I was looking for the mangled piece of brass. All he had to say was dumba@@! I load my 9 mm on the 1050, but use my 650 for 40. Sometimes when switching between the two I don't push the handle as far forward as I should. I'm just glad my fingers and I guess toes are all in the right place. My toes are way too ugly to use as a finger :o

I never even thought about a high primer possibly causing this. Thank goodness for my 1050.

Glad you're OK, Roger, that did have to be a moment to remember.

The 650 doesn't have a primer depth adjustment, the 1050 does. I got a new lot of primers in and proceeded to loading .40 on my 1050. Loaded up 1000 rounds and soon learned I had high primer issues due to tolerance differences in the new lot of primers. I adjusted the seating depth on the 1050 and now the primers are seating deeper, but I had 1000 loaded rounds I had to seat the primer deeper by hand. Talking about pucker factor! :surprise:

Wow, 1K rounds huh? I don't think I could have done that. I check my 1050 with each new case I bust open. My new plan is to get a conversion for 40 and do all my loading on the 1050. I'll load a years worth of 9mm and 40 during the two cool months and not have to worry about loading in the hot shed during July.

• 1 month later...

Thank goodness you are ok. Too bad you couldn't find the brass. I got injured earlier this year when a round blew on me during "unload & show clear". My round slipped from under the extractor and went straight into the ejector. You may want to check your extractor & ejector also. Do you have a short or long ejector?

Had a similar instance 9 or 10 years ago, shooting a Para P16. Round did not go into battery, got stuck in chamber. Racked the slide hard, and BOOM. Apparently, the primer hit the ejector as I racked it back. I had my hand partially over the ejection port. Blew some unburnt powder into my palm, had to go to the ER to have it clean out. Broke the ejector on the gun, too. Nothing too serious, tough. Just goes to show you, with the amount of rounds that we put through guns, what can happen eventually will happen. Glad you're OK.