Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Range Bags???

PistolPete

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought two of their pro-shooters bags --- from a GT special deal for right around $ 40.- a piece. One holds my shotgun gear, the other my AR gear ---- making my life much easier when I oversleep on match morning.....

For handguns I use the Shooter's Connection bag for practice and as a trunk bag for big matches. For local pistol matches I keep coming back to a Bagmaster bag I've had for years --- simply because it holds less and is lighter...

The Tournament Range Bag is an excellent bag. I have been using one for several months and really like it. Well thought out and put together right. At $89.95 it offers all the features of bags costing $50 to $100 more. Give iSHOT a look.

500 rds!!! I just shot a local match using 230 grn 45's. I have an el' cheapo bag and was leaning to a Shooters Connection bag till I picked up my bag with the 45 ammo in it. Bigger bag=more junk=more weight......I'l probably get the bag anyway and let my son carry it around while I carry his 115's in a Dillon bag......

For our local matches I use a plastic toolbox with wheels that you can get at your local hardware store. It has small hardware compartments on the lid and an internal tray. In the bottom compartment I carry the inner minibag from my range bag and my two sons ammo and equipment. BTW, it also doubles as my stage chair.

When going out of town I use my trusty old Red/Black Buchanan range bag which is more or less the size of a Dillon. When the time comes to change I was thinking of the Shooter Connection but when done with this posting I'm gonna look at the I-shot's.

B)

• 2 months later...

Here's a recommendation that's somewhat out of the norm. Yes, I have the large GreenMtn bag & Dillon bags -- no complaints other than both are not optimal for carrying at large, e.g., Barry, matches. These standard shooting bags are great products for their intended use.

For carrying the essentials at a big match, consider an EMT bag. Roger Sherman found the Iron Duck line which works well and doesn't break the bank, i.e., $167. The BlawkHawk EMT backpacks look good too but they cost quite a bit more.

See Allied Medical.

After using it at a few big matches, it distributes the weight extremely well. And, for a pack rat like me, it forces me to choose the essentials. Even when I download my GreenMtn bag, the shoulder-borne weight gets uncomfortable.

Anyway, a specialized tool for a specialized need.

I'm going to try the Blackhawk Comp Pro shooters bag. I have had and tried the Shooter Connection bags and several others and most all have ripped or just turned to crap. I do have to say the Green Mountain bag has held up best, I would definitely purchase another one. I have beaten the Blackhawk stuff to death and lasts forever.

If anything happens to the Blackhawk bag, I'll go back to Green Mountain. But I think the Blackhawk will take the pounding.

I know I really like my Shooters Connection bag, but the thing seems too heavy no matter how hard I try to lighten it.

I tend to use it more for practice sessions where it stays on the tailgate of my Blazer. I then switch to a smaller bag for matches, leaving the SC bag in the vehicle in case I need more stuff.

The best smaller bags I've used are Craftsman tool bags. The pockets(?) are perfect for mags, with usually lots of smaller pockets on the inside. I use one now that has a plastic parts organizer like you see with newer tackle boxes. There a zippered compartment in the bottom of the bag where it fits. The thing is heavy duty beyond belief but costs around $30.

I know I really like my Shooters Connection bag, but the thing seems too heavy no matter how hard I try to lighten it...

JFD, I totally agree with you about the SC Tournament bag. While I love mine, it's quite a heavy bag to lug around. I have been thinking about picking up a Dillon bag for matches and for when I shoot at my indoor range and use the Tournament bag for I need the extra stuff for outdoor ranges.

n2299

It doesn't help that I usually have about 20 loaded mags (L-10) in the bag + extra ammo. Last time I was lugging the thing around a match I discovered I was carrying 3 extra guns I had stuck in there during practice.

.... Last time I was lugging the thing around a match I discovered I was carrying 3 extra guns I had stuck in there during practice.

Haha... let me guess it was black gun case in black bag? :D

Yeah, it's a black bag. I read all about the horrors of the black bags AFTER I ordered the thing. Live and learn.

The Craftsman tool bags come in all sizes. I'd say they range from the Dillon bag size to darn near the Shooters Connection size. The blue/black one I'm using at matches has 7 outside pockets, a single main compartment, and a compartment underneath that holds the plastic "parts" box. Leave the box out and you pick up even more room, easily enough for 4 - 5 boxes of ammo. It also looks the least like a tool bag.

• 5 years later...

I just bought a new range bag from Midway USA on sell. It seems to be plenty big for my needs but I am just now getting into action shooting. I think they are on sale through March. Nice looking, big, and well organized. I guess after I use it in competition, I will know if it holds up. It looks efficient, even though it is black.