Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short range rifle targets

At one local club.. the longest bay we have is about 45 yards..

What kinds of interesting targets have you seen that make this a little more interesting? (That still gives iron sights a chance)

Thanks!

I've shot scaled down uspsa targets. I think they were half scale, which made them quite a challenge! They are available from Charlie Myers 505-899-1188.

Little bullets, little targets!

MLM

As long as the targets are 3moa to 4moa, Irons will have the same chance as optics.

Clays have been used, with mixed results, mostly OK, something harder would be better, bathroom tiles????????

Upper A/B zones,

3x5 index cards

trapr

Upper A/B zones we use.. I was going to do just the upper 'A'.. trying to simulate a longer target.. but without any 'reaciton' from it.. I thought that would put the irons at a disadvantage.

Good idea on the clays, forgot about them for rifle.. I'll have to look at the small clays the sporting clays guys use like 60mm..

I've shot scaled down uspsa targets. I think they were half scale, which made them quite a challenge! They are available from Charlie Myers 505-899-1188.

MLM

These are what we used and they work great.... And Charlie is a great guy to do business with!!!!

Paper plates work well.

We've used the big dinner plates as well as the little desert plates. The cheapo thin ones don't work well in wind and rain so get the fancy, thick ones with the little floral patterns around edges. They work well and look good too. Mixed in with big IPSC and little IPSC targets can make for a good run n gun and precision shot stage.

As long as the targets are 3moa to 4moa, Irons will have the same chance as optics.

Clays have been used, with mixed results, mostly OK, something harder would be better, bathroom tiles????????

Upper A/B zones,

3x5 index cards

trapr

Try rabbits or teal instead. They are thicker than clay birds, but of the same diameter. Or Battu birds, same difference. The Battu birds can be had in either orange or black. We use both at my home club and I have designs on using them in a course of fire.

• 3 weeks later...

MLM

What's a ballpark cost on Charlie's scaled down USPSA targets?

Thanks,

Chad

MLM

Thanks,

Chad

I think they are about 65 cents each

jj

MLM

Thanks,

Chad

I think they are about 65 cents each

jj

Found his price list. This was as of April 2nd 2009 so they may have changed some.

10 $ 8.00 +shipping

20 $15.00 + shipping

30 $21.00 + shipping

50 $33.00 + shipping

100 $65.00 + shipping

150 $96.00 + shipping

200 $126.00 + shipping

250 $155.00 + shipping

Edited by PHolsted

Ken.. that's what I was thinking were the 60mm targets?

Do they break for you ok, without the steal backers?

At the Kentucky Multi-gun match they used the regular clay birds which broke consistently or you could easily tell they were broken. They had and interesting way of presenting them. They used a very large stand with corrugated plastic or cardboard stapled to it. They then attached about 6 clothes pins with duct tape across the corrugated material, so that when the clays were secured with the clothes pin they looked like a plate rack to the shooters. They kept extra clothes pins and duct tape by the clays for lightening quick repairs, and through 100 or so 3 gun competitors the system worked very well and were cheap.

I have been to several of the Steel City rifle matches where they used home made 1/5 scale IPSC shaped targets out to 35 yards. Couple these small targets with funky shooting positions and it gets real challenging. Even if you put them up close, the sight offset will bite many people who take a quick "center mass" sight picture. They also only require one hit anywhere on these small targets to neutralize. It has worked well for their matches.

Hurley

• 3 weeks later...
I have been to several of the Steel City rifle matches where they used home made 1/5 scale IPSC shaped targets out to 35 yards. Couple these small targets with funky shooting positions and it gets real challenging. Even if you put them up close, the sight offset will bite many people who take a quick "center mass" sight picture. They also only require one hit anywhere on these small targets to neutralize. It has worked well for their matches.

Hurley

I've used a lot of Mr. Meyers scaled down targets. They make for some interesting shooting in pistol bays. But they are a little expensive, and you have to be creative on target stands. I was running monthly three gun matches, so I built a set of stands specifically for the small targets. I've also discovered CED (the timer/chrono guys) have a real nice reduced target for airsoft. Its about in the middle between Meyers and metric IPSC, and run .35 each. Again there is the problem of stands - everyone will probably solve that differently. The neat thing about purchased targets as opposed to plain cardboard cutouts is you get the scoring lines on the purchased targets. michael

• 2 weeks later...

These are the CED Airsoft Targets. I plan to use them in this months 3-Gun Match. I figure these at 40 Yards might be simulating 75-85 yards. I plan to use standard target stands with used standard targets as a backer. Show the white on the backer and hit it with some black paint. A few I will use an un-painted no-shoot for a backer to further stress some accuracy. 50 for $20 plus shipping.

IMG_7461.jpg

IMG_7462.jpg

IMG_7463.jpg

IMG_7464.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The A3 and A4 targets (appendix B5 and B6 in the rifle rules) are USPSA and IPSC approved and are substantially smaller than the metric and classic targets. Dont think I've ever seen them used though, and I doubt anyone is making cardboard versions of them.

• 3 months later...

Golf balls are a gas!

I have been accused of designing stages that are too hard so be sure of what you want to achieve before you set these out. 25 yards is a moderate challenge and 50 is a workout.

What I found works best is to put a drywall screw about halfway into a golf ball, tie 2'-3' of fishing line to the screw and tie a loop in the end. Make these up prior to the match. Drive a 3' - 4' stake into the berm at a 45 deg. angle, form a girth hitch with the loop and put it on the end of the stake. The golf ball will hang motionless with a little help and is not affected much by wind.

The shooter only sees the ball and not the line so cutting the line is by chance only and I give him the "hit". When the ball is hit there is no question - it really dances around. Less than half the time the string breaks so re-stringing the balls between squads may be necessary. You will be surprised at how many hits a golf ball will soak up before you'll need a new one. I would make up 1 ball [with string] for every 4 shooters you expect - and you will probably bring half of those home. Oh yea, my local driving range sold me a bucket of old balls for just a couple of bucks.

If you plan to come to our Courage Classic MG match next summer you'll get to try your luck.

Hasta,

EJ

• 7 months later...

One stage at my local club had a no shoot with a hole cut into the center chest for a clay, you had to shoot the clay out without shooting the no shoot, It was a great test of skill and placing a shot correctly. Suprisingly only about 5-6 people hit the no shoot. It was more mental than anything.

One stage at my local club had a no shoot with a hole cut into the center chest for a clay, you had to shoot the clay out without shooting the no shoot, It was a great test of skill and placing a shot correctly. Suprisingly only about 5-6 people hit the no shoot. It was more mental than anything.

This is a seriously awesome idea. I WILL be using this. :devil: