Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who has primers and when

tomfturner

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody asked about using Federal Large Pistol Magnum primers with a revolver.

My S&W 625 with a light trigger pull lights them off just as good as the Fed LPs. I picked up 1K at a local Dick's Sporting Goods. Expensive, or I'd get more. Just trying to have enough to make it match to match until supplies go up.

I'm beginning to understand why women go into stores "just to see what's there". In this case, it's checking sporting goods places to see if some primers got on the shelf since the last visit.

Somebody asked about using Federal Large Pistol Magnum primers with a revolver.

My S&W 625 with a light trigger pull lights them off just as good as the Fed LPs. I picked up 1K at a local Dick's Sporting Goods. Expensive, or I'd get more. Just trying to have enough to make it match to match until supplies go up.

I'm beginning to understand why women go into stores "just to see what's there". In this case, it's checking sporting goods places to see if some primers got on the shelf since the last visit.

FYI, I've tried Wolf with my revolver and it will set them off. It won't set off Win but Wolfs work.

Chris

Happiness is just receiving 20K of SR, SP and LP Wolf primers from Wideners. :):):) I sure was happy to see the Fed-Ex van today. :wub:

Mine should arrive tomorrow. Not that many, but I am still crossing my fingers until they get here!

Thanks Tokarev!

For those that ordered from Widener's, how long has it taken to recieve them. Thier site says thier are a week behind processing orders, but I was wondering how long it is really taking. I placed an order last week and havn't seen anything yet.

For those that ordered from Widener's, how long has it taken to recieve them. Thier site says thier are a week behind processing orders, but I was wondering how long it is really taking. I placed an order last week and havn't seen anything yet.

I placed an order last week on Thursday; it was finally billed to my card today. No word on shipping just yet. The order history / status page says "Processing".

I placed an order last week on Thursday; it was finally billed to my card today. No word on shipping just yet. The order history / status page says "Processing".

I placed an order last Tues, got a notification from them on Wed that they'd received my order. I had to e-mail them to delay my shipping since I'm moving next Tues. They said they'd ship on the 3rd (at my request). R,

8-9 days. Very good for the amount of orders I am sure they processed!! :cheers:

Ok I ordered 15k Winchester SP primers from Grafs over 2 months ago and I still haven't gotten a word on when they will be shipped. :angry2:

How are you guys placing orders to Wideners?? Everything I'm seeing is out of stock and I can't place a backorder!

Ok I ordered 15k Winchester SP primers from Grafs over 2 months ago and I still haven't gotten a word on when they will be shipped. :angry2:

How are you guys placing orders to Wideners?? Everything I'm seeing is out of stock and I can't place a backorder!

Dude, WSP are the hardest to get. I've had my order in at Grafs for 4 months. Get in line.

Dude, WSP are the hardest to get. I've had my order in at Grafs for 4 months. Get in line.

Yep- I haven't seen any Win SP or SR in many, many months. CCI seems to be readily available now at local shops with Federal showing up on occasion.

Wideners got a shipment of Wolf primers around the 15th of July, they didn't last long. I got the heads up about them from this thread and placed an order, should be here this week. Keep your eyes on the dealers and threads like this, if you find them in stock you have to order quick. Good luck.

See... here's the thing: About 3 years ago the price of ammo started going up. You used to be able to buy 9mm for about $90 per k. .40 was about $120K and .45 about $145k. Then it went up by half again... then it doubled. Now it's ridiculous. So... people went out and got good reloading equipment and started to order components. Lead went up, copper went up. China was trying to corner the market on car batteries (lead) and copper tubing. Things got out of hand. Now it's primers! We should have seen this coming. Election or not, things have been going sour with ammunition for a few years now. But I still don't get the primer thing. They are not that hard to make. Why some enterprising individual can't simply set up and start producing them is beyond my comprehension. If this IS a free market society, and the laws of "supply and demand" are truly in effect, then where is the "supply" side of this equation? The large primer makers, with the possible exception of CCI who reportedly ordered 2 new primer making machines, have not purchased new equipment to keep up with demand, nor hired more workers to man the equipment they have. So where is the "free market" influence? Granted we had a bank crises and so maybe lending is off, but the banks have made huge payments to their executives regardless, so money is not absent from the equation. Since there is still money in the system, why hasn't someone started to produce more primers? Trust me on this... there are formulas for primer mixes readily available and engineers who know how to make them. So what is holding back the free market?

Would you buy, say, JSG Industries small pistol primers (JSG = JustSomeGuy... my copyrighted name), or "Joe's" primers if they came with a guarantee and were made on the best modern equipment in large quantities? Or would you sweat it out and wait for Federal or CCI or whatever even though the others were priced right and could be delivered in a week! I would just like to know.

Edited by Justsomeguy