Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top 5 Favorite Albums of All Time

benos

Since I can remember, I've had a "mental" - top 5 category that I put albums into.

Up until recently, it was just way of talking about an album, I never actually thought about what my top 5 might be.

So I thought it for a minute, and right away I thought of 4. In no paticular order, Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar, White Zombie's La Sexorcisto, James Taylor's Mud Slide Slim, and Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection.

I'm still patiently working on number 5. I thought I had it the other day, but now I can't remember.

And - my top 5 is subject to change at any time.

So what are your top 5?

be

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd need a genre...

I'm a blues guy, but it's REALLY hard to pick just five.

Off the cuff, I'd say something like

1.) ANYTHING SRV. His first albumn was a quick demo cut in a few hours that was tight enough to be released under a major label. The next two were great, and only scratched the surface, "Live Alive" was probably the worst, but has a great story and gives a sneak peak at how good SRV could be outside the confines of the studio. In Step was great. Tightrope just gets better and better, every time I hear it. "Sky Is Crying" and "Best Of" are made of the scraps left behind on the cutting room floor of earlier studio sessions, and they are STILL great. I just can't pick, and any one of them is a true, open channel to a different facet of the universal blues, by the best to ever plug in.

2.) Muddy Waters - "Hard Again". Any albumn where Johnny Winters is credited with "misc screams and feeling" is a keeper, but add to it the ultimate tough guy song, THE definitive version of "Mannish Boy", and WHO CARES what else is on it???

3.) Almost anything by Albert King. I mean honestly, this guy made a big, breathy "Whoooooooooooooooo" a legitimate lyric.

4.) Almost any Albert Collins. The master of the telecaster, funky and shrill.

5.) Buddy Guy - Damn Right I Got Da Blues! A SEARING version of "Mustang Sally", and a good, if slightly "entry level / mainstream" intro to BG.

Since I can remember, I've had a "mental" - top 5 category that I put albums into.

Up until recently, it was just way of talking about an album, I never actually thought about what my top 5 might be.

So I thought it for a minute, and right away I thought of 4. In no paticular order, Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar, White Zombie's La Sexorcisto, James Taylor's Mud Slide Slim, and Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection.

I'm still patiently working on number 5. I thought I had it the other day, but now I can't remember.

And - my top 5 is subject to change at any time.

So what are your top 5?

be

THAT is quite a swing in musical taste. From James Taylor to Manson... :cheers:

Here goes...

1) Deep Purple - Made in Japan

2) Emerson, Lake, & Palmer - Welcome Back My Friends

3) Steppenwolf - Live

4) Beatles - Rubber Soul

5A/B... Queen II / Frank Zappa - Overnite Sensation.

For now....

My tastes are kind of all over the place.....

1. Miles Davis -- Kind of Blue. Hands down my favorite album of all time....

2. Henryk Gorecki -- Symphony No. 3 --- it's a real close second.... (Symphony No. 3, Op. 36, also known as the Symphony of Sorrowful Songs (Polish: Symfonia pieśni żałosnych), is a symphony in three movements composed by Henryk Górecki in Katowice, Poland, between October and December 1976. The work is indicative of the transition between Górecki's dissonant earlier manner and his more tonal later style.

A solo soprano sings a different Polish text in each of the three movements. The first is a 15th-century Polish lament of Mary, mother of Jesus, the second a message written on the wall of a Gestapo cell during World War II, and the third a Silesian folk song of mother searching for son killed in the Silesian uprisings.[2] The first and third movements are written from the perspective of a parent who has lost a child, and the second movement from that of a child separated from a parent. The dominant themes of the symphony are motherhood and separation through war.)

3. Grands Adagios Baroques -- an eclectic compilation of classical tunes, that plays every night while I sleep. Originally a Christmas gift from my parents, who thought it was pretty, I've developed a Pavlovian response to the opening chords --- falling asleep within seconds....

4. Pink Floyd -- Wish You Were Here.

5. Alan Parsons Project -- I Robot / Dshinghis Khan -- The Jubilee Album. The first was a gift from my sister, the first summer after we moved to America, the second I bought that same year --- bad German pop: Of course a girl was involved....

Don't know if I can think of five but I know I can come with at least one obscure one

The Tubes- "completion backwards principle"

The Cars - The one with moving in stereo on it. "the cars" First time I heard it I was completely high with headphones on and the girlfriend.....

AC/DC - "Back in Black"

Scorpions- probably "blackout"

The Motels

Edited by sandman

Hard for me to get it down to just five but here goes:

1) Blind Faith - BLind Faith

2) Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

3) Will The Circle Be Unbroken - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

4) Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Beatles

5) The Colour And The Shape - Foo Fighters

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

AC/DC - Back in Black

REM - Eponymous

U2 - The Joshua Tree

The Police - Synchronicity

Lots of others over the years that I would say at the time was my favorite, but those 5 are ones I still listen to today.

I'd need a genre...

I'm a blues guy, but it's REALLY hard to pick just five.

Off the cuff, I'd say something like

1.) ANYTHING SRV. His first albumn was a quick demo cut in a few hours that was tight enough to be released under a major label. The next two were great, and only scratched the surface, "Live Alive" was probably the worst, but has a great story and gives a sneak peak at how good SRV could be outside the confines of the studio. In Step was great. Tightrope just gets better and better, every time I hear it. "Sky Is Crying" and "Best Of" are made of the scraps left behind on the cutting room floor of earlier studio sessions, and they are STILL great. I just can't pick, and any one of them is a true, open channel to a different facet of the universal blues, by the best to ever plug in.

2.) Muddy Waters - "Hard Again". Any albumn where Johnny Winters is credited with "misc screams and feeling" is a keeper, but add to it the ultimate tough guy song, THE definitive version of "Mannish Boy", and WHO CARES what else is on it???

3.) Almost anything by Albert King. I mean honestly, this guy made a big, breathy "Whoooooooooooooooo" a legitimate lyric.

4.) Almost any Albert Collins. The master of the telecaster, funky and shrill.

5.) Buddy Guy - Damn Right I Got Da Blues! A SEARING version of "Mustang Sally", and a good, if slightly "entry level / mainstream" intro to BG.

Any mention of the a top five blues is remiss without Robert Johnson. ;)

Edited by JThompson

Lynyrd Skynyrd, "One More From The Road"...THE BEST "Live" Album EVER...

The Who, "Who's Next"...

AC/DC, "Back In Black"...

Pink Floyd, "Dark Side Of The Moon"...

NOW it gets DIFFICULT... :unsure: ....mikey357

For me a top favorite album means that all the songs are great and work together. Kind of like a musical journey with that artist.

Alice Cooper, From the Inside

Bob Marley and the Wailers, Concrete Jungle

Jimmy Buffett, Coconut Telegraph

Pink Floyd, The Wall

Eminem, The Eminem Show

That's just off the top of my head. If I thought about it more they would probably all change!!! :roflol:

I had to really think on this one. But I realized all I had to do was sort my library by "most played" and the answers were obvious.

Rage Against The Machine/Rage Against The Machine

System of a Down/Toxicity

Pantera/Cowboys from Hell

Nine Inch Nails/Pretty Hate Machine

Toadies/Possum Kingdom

well, any of the top 5 in my book have to be live performances. that said, in no order, here's mine:

Mountain-The Road Goes Ever On

Jimi Hendrix-Band Of Gypsies

Humble Pie-Rockin' The Fillmore

Grand Funk Railroad-Live Album

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush-Live

Wow, this is tough.

Based on my # of plays through Itunes:

Bachman Turner Overdrive - Bachman Turner Overdrive

Walking in London - Concrete Blonde

Journey - Journey ( pre Steve Perry)

Led Zeppelin 1 - Led Zeppelin

Sticky Fingers - the Stones

Like most of you, I had to look at what is most played on my system. I also looked at the ones that no one has mentioned because 5 is too few for me:

Aerosmith - Big Ones (only because it has most of my favorites by them)

Moly Hatchet - Greatest Hits

Chris LeDoux - Live

New Christy Minstels - Cowboys and Indians :cheers:

Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass - The Lonely Bull