Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tinnitus How many have it

My wife has this.

Try taking melotonin for 2-3 of weeks. It is a natural sleep aid you can pick up at GNC.

I read about using it to help tennitus on a health web site I visit fairly often. Got some for the wife and it helped her out a lot. She sleeps very well now too. :closedeyes:

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got diagnosed last week with Tinnitus. It started back in December and I thought it would go away but it hasn't. I had a hearing test last week and my hearing is great, above the baseline for normal hearing. The frequency that I drop off at is 6K-8K and then back up to normal. It's just this ringing that kills me when there are no ambient noise. If it's really quiet, it's enough to start making me sick to my stomach.

There is no proven cure but there are options such as the ones that are mentioned in this thread. The homeopathic route is suspect to me but I am probably going to try it. There is another option that is a way of re-training your brain of what is a normal sound and what is abnormal. It's like a little iPod that you listen to everyday for months but it's $5000 and just about all insurances will not cover it.

If anyone does do these homeopathic treatments and they work, please share that, just like Kyreb did with his wife. I will do the same also.

Also, I just ordered another pair of ear muffs that are highest NRR market so I hope that helps prevent any further damage. I need to start double-plugging but being a RO is tough when you can't hear anything going on so will probably switch back and forth.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I just ordered another pair of ear muffs that are highest NRR market so I hope that helps prevent any further damage. I need to start double-plugging but being a RO is tough when you can't hear anything going on so will probably switch back and forth.

Try using electronic hearing protection while you double plug. This will allow you to be able to hear and speak normally. I use this combination on a daily basis.

I double plug, but recently switched from the yellow foam plugs to Surefire plugs. I feel like the Surefire's are much more comfortable for long matches, but the yellow foam ones seemed to offer a lot more protection. Does anyone have the answer to which plugs offer a good combination of protection and comfort?

I double plug, but recently switched from the yellow foam plugs to Surefire plugs. I feel like the Surefire's are much more comfortable for long matches, but the yellow foam ones seemed to offer a lot more protection. Does anyone have the answer to which plugs offer a good combination of protection and comfort?

Bill,

It depends on the environment you are shooting in. Enclosed ranges with multiple large caliber weapons firing at once require more protection than outdoor ranges with only one weapon firing at a time. I wear electronic earmuffs with the secondary protection of the EP4's with stoppers in on indoor ranges. For outdoor ranges, I remove the stoppers.

From the Surefire website for the EP4's "•24dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) with stoppers inserted"

Mine came from 20 years in the Army Band field, sitting in front of the Trombone Section.

My ringing is pretty loud, but it usually doesn't bother me (except as I'm reading this thread I'm VERY aware of it at the moment.) I can hear it very loudly if it is a very quiet room. It doesn't cause me any pain or mental anguish. I guess I've learned to block it out.

The frustrating thing is my hearing loss. I can hear most everyday things, but conversation can be a real pain. If there is an other noise (restaurant, bar, etc.) I can hear the person speaking, but I can't make out what they are saying. It sounds garbled. I've noticed lately that road noise really makes me turn the car radio up....and up...and up. Anyone that comes in the room while I'm watching TV asks why I have the volume turned up so loud. :(

Edited by sfchorn

Ditto what sfchorn said. I got the SAME situation. :blink: Oh, fergot to mention mine prolly due to flying in non insulated military aircraft w/ piston engines for 3 years.

Edited by buckaroo45

Same here too...ringing all the time and loss of hearing in the high frequency range.

I also have the problem with conversation if theres other noise present so I too double up on ear pro with plugs and electronic muffs.

People ask me how I got it, and I just tell them that I have a poor choice of pass times. It's been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.... probably started when I was taught how to shoot skeet at the age of 16, and when I was done my instructor looked at me and said, "You were wearing plugs today, right?" And I said, "What?"

I'll start teaching my daughter how to shoot pretty soon. My plan is to get the best, most expensive electronic muffs I can afford to give her and double plug her with the volume cranked up on the electronics. Translation: the best cure is to not get it.

Mine came from selling HiFi. My 85 VW Golf was our Alpine/Carver Demo car. It would literally take your breath.

When mine starts bothering me I just turn up the background music/noise - ironic isn't it.

Now that we've determined a lot of us have this issue has anyone found anything that helps? I've seen pills and homeopathic stuff advertised. Are they any help at all?

Quietus sounds like a sham product. $100.00 bottle after the first "free" sample.

My audiologist said some patients were helped by ginko. The idea is it helps circulation in small capillaries.

Others say look for a remedy with lipo-flavinoids. There is a pill product that is sold at drugstores, I cannot remember the name, that my mother tried and she said it helped a bit but it takes 3-6 months to notice a difference.

Acupuncture has been mentioned.

Diet: I notice it more when I eat yogurt or have a lot of dairy.

Avoid alcohol.

As a kid I had hearing problems when I began to drink diet coke with phenylalanine (nutrasweet) After steroid treatments that didn't work, My doc asked me if I changed anything in my diet recently and I said mom started buying diet coke. He said don't drink it. My ears were back to normal within about a week.

I found this when doing a search:

http://www.healthhound.org/tinnitus-request.php

I have it in both ears, plus a huge hearing loss(the cause is mostly hereditary for me).

The sad part is no matter how hard you try to warn friends to protect their hearing, they cannot imagine having tinnitus forever.

Some people only suffer the last few years of their lives, but some of us get it at twenty years old.

Every time I see someone on a dove shoot with no hearing protection, I feel sorry for the poor bastard, he just doesn't know what kind of hell on earth he may be causing for his ears one day.

I agree with that, I've had it for 43 years and try my best to warn people. It is forever and if you have it severe enough it will change your life, you will never have another quiet moment and as of now there is no cure and it can easily get worse. I used alcohol to try to get past it which practically turned me into an alcoholic for a few years. The important thing to keep in mind is it is cumulative, best to never get it, but once you do be very very careful to not expose yourself to noise that will make it worse. The way my Dr explained it we all as individuals have a built in tolerance to harmful noise but once you pass that threshold you have tinnitus which in layman's terms is a recording of the frequency you lost. In my case I had exceptional hearing, the frequency was nearly off the chart which makes it impossible to mask.

I saw a popular Youtube video channel that the guy was shooting without ear or eye protection (steel targets even) and I made a constructive comment about wearing eye and ear pro. Wow was I ever thrashed, learned a valuable lesson about commenting. Over the years I've seen a lot of things go wrong with firearms, I carried a piece of brass in my thumb from a 22 pistol that fired out of battery, the least you can do is wear eye and ear pro and set a good example if you're going public with your shooting. My opinion of course.

I saw a popular Youtube video channel that the guy was shooting without ear or eye protection (steel targets even) and I made a constructive comment about wearing eye and ear pro. Wow was I ever thrashed, learned a valuable lesson about commenting.

Yeah, same happened to me. But then again, look at the kind of people who comment on YouTube. You have to consider the source.

Since getting this condition, I have changed some of my methods of how I plug and the muffs that I use. I use to never really pay attention to that NRR rating but now I've noticed, it makes a difference.

So far I don't have it, last time I had my ears checked the nurse was surprised I heard everything. Which I found amazing since I have had a 9mm discharge 2-3ft from my left ear in a confined room when my friend had a ND, thankfully the only casualty was his $3k bed. That took 3 days for the ringing to go away. So far the mil hasn't done it(knock on wood), I try to wear ear pro everywhere with high noise except vehicles so I can attempt to hear my a-driver, those with cvc's excluded. I always keep 2 sets of the silicone plugs and at least 3 foamies for anyone who forgets.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I've got it, really think that salt makes it worse, (this may just be me). I'm single and live pretty simply and don't put salt in food but if I eat any snack foods like potato chips with a lot of salt in/on them it gets worse. A lot of the time it goes away until I eat something with a fairly high salt content.

Yeah, salt can exacerbate. I've found that different medicines, like Benadryl, or aspirin (which is a major cause of tinnitus), and certain foods can increase the intensity. Some days are diamonds, some are rough. I've found the best solution is Bose Quiet Comfort headphones-really comfortable and block out ambient sounds even in jets and on the road. Expensive.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I take a modest does of iron supplement which really, really helps a lot. If I do without the iron, a week later, I'm hearing multiple tones and dancing tones that I just can't handle. If I go back to the iron, I'm fine in about three days--it works that well. So I take a little bit all the time, which is also good for keeping my hematocrit level healthy.

• 2 weeks later...