Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tinnitus How many have it

So most of you have posted that you have what you would call

"Ringing" or High pitched squeals with your Tinnitus.

Does anyone cope with a low frequency humming or rumble?

I posted here in another forum before I found this one.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47228&view=findpost&p=1198120

and here

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47228&st=0&gopid=1320973entry1320973

in case anyone cares to read.

The troubling thing is that my hearing is excellent according to my last hearing test.

This is really causing me terrible anxiety and sleeplessness.

Edited by sierra77mk

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep.... mine is a very faint ring.... caused by way too much shooting and working in machine shops. even with hearing protection... Fortunately mine is VERY high frequency and I don't notice it unless it's dead quiet, but it's there. I've always tried to protect my hearing, but sometimes it just isn't enough. Shoot enough "large" rifles, it doesn't really matter WHAT you do. That's why I try to have, or have available suppressors for dang near everything!

Ken

Lots of frequencies gone for me at the upper and lower ends and ringing in the ears courtesy of a 38 Super fired next to a concrete wall without any muffs.

Try this hearing test. http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

Click somewhere in the middle of the 1kHz panel and you should hear a sound. Continue clicking on different values until you don't hear anything. Selecting different columns provides you with an idea of the frequencies you can hear.

A simpler and less detailed test is available at http://www.hearingfrequencytest.com/

as long as something is going on around me, tv radio, people talking, anything its fine. when i lay in bed without a fan or anything and its dead silent i can hear mine and it bugs the crap outta me. i fall asleep with the tv on to prevent it from bothering me now. Ive done a lot of hunting and shooting in my life and the last few years ive been to a ton of loud concerts that havent doen me any good <_<

Since this thread is active again,

When I clinch my teeth the volume is much louder.

Does anyone else have this effect?

Mine came right after a root canal, but the dentist, ear nose and throat, GP all say the root canal is not the cause.

Since I told them I am a shooter they all blame that.

Considering having the tooth extracted. I have been living with it for 2 years.

The thing that is getting me more lately is having to ask for repeat in a conversation. and It burns me to get a procedural penalty for not hearing all of a stage brief.

over the past year or so my ability to cope with the ring is getting better , but the Ring is worst

Its funny when I go for my physical and they place me in the booth of silence I start pushing the button when I hear the beep. The door opens and they ask me what im doing. I reply pressing the button every time I hear the beep.

I have not passed a hearing test sense 1990. High freq and tenitis in the left ear. :(

I have it. Mine sounds like 1000 crickets all going at once. It never stops or gets less. I have a hard time hearing people talk if there is any background noise. If it's quiet, I can tell what they are saying fairly well. I try to keep my mind occupied with other things so I don't think about it too much. Otherwise it would be very difficult to live with.

I have it so bad that fans, TV, radio, etc. don't do any good. It's always there,

I just let the ringing put me to sleep at night.

There's a battery backup as part of my U-verse TV/Internet/phone system. When it beeps I can't hear it at all.

My wife is just amazed and shakes her head. Ditto for the kids.

It does get louder at times but it's ALWAYS loud. You get used to it.

My ears started really ringing bad at about age 40 so i went to the doctor and she sent me to an audiologist who recommended i get hearing aids.I'm only 43 and still a bit proud and hard headed and refuse to get hearing aids yet.But the good news is my doctor says the ringing will eventually go away.........the bad news is my hearing is gonna go with it :blink: .

Yep.... mine is a very faint ring.... caused by way too much shooting and working in machine shops. even with hearing protection... Fortunately mine is VERY high frequency and I don't notice it unless it's dead quiet, but it's there. I've always tried to protect my hearing, but sometimes it just isn't enough. Shoot enough "large" rifles, it doesn't really matter WHAT you do. That's why I try to have, or have available suppressors for dang near everything!

Ken

Ya. Mine is much like that... I think some of us have a natural ability to block it out so it's not bothersome. Every now and then it like I lose that ability for a day or so and it's very noticeable.

JT

Constant ringing...For I don't know how long. Since I can remember. It's gotten worse, but since I've had it so long, I really don't notice as much unless the room is quiet. There are certain sounds/frequencies that I can't hear at all. Mine is a very steady, high pitch...The EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE described earlier in the thread. And, yes, I can change the pitch of it a bit by clenching my teeth together, but it goes right back to the EEEEEEEEEEEEEE. I sleep with a random noise generator on in the room now, but I can get by without it, I'm just conditioned to it now. I know it was caused by having my ears cupped very hard as a child, somewhere around when I was 5 (don't ask who....). Shooting has not helped it, and has probably hurt it even more (many dove, duck and deer hunts with not protection, back before the electronic kind).

Pretty much, I just ignore it anymore...

I have it,, but not from Shooting, I got it from the ARMY, vehicle and generator Noise mixed with, Radio traffic and, Digital, Comms bleeping,, ( No kidding)

I’m under treatment,, but all they say is to add more,,, background noise,,

It’s not working,,

one of the big problems too is People acting like you have an IQ decency because you don't hear what they say when they don't speak clearly.

And it is just such a burden for them to have to repeat them selfs.

I don't like getting procedural penalties because I don't hear the stage brief, "Thats my story and I am sticking to it"

one of the big problems too is People acting like you have an IQ decency because you don't hear what they say when they don't speak clearly.

And it is just such a burden for them to have to repeat them selfs.

I don't like getting procedural penalties because I don't hear the stage brief, "Thats my story and I am sticking to it"

What? Didn'y cacth that. Could you repeat it please?

I started getting the ringing noise when I was in my late teens and early twenties working on the farm. We had a Ford 9000 tractor with an aftermarket cab. The cab had not insulation or sound prooging. I would run it for days and never thought about hearing protection. Going to sleep at night was almost impossible because of the ringing. Then a number of years with a tank outfit, boom boom boom. Ear plugs still didn't help.

Now they ring all the time and I just ignore it. I always make sure I wear hearing protection as well as anyone else. I don't want them to end up like me. Bshooter

I don't know about any late night tv nutritinal suppliments but a strict regimin of Vitamin Single Malt makes me not care as much about the ringing. just one or two per night usauly does the trick. any more than that and it just degrades in to drinking.

according to the tests on line I've bad at 8KZ lost everything above 12KZ

Mentioned the tinnitus issue I have to my Dr. this morning. He's a friend and a old golf buddy of mine. "The daily aspirin I put you on 10 years ago isn't helping that. Tough, learn to live with tinnitus, the aspirin stays". dry.gif Now I remember why I enjoyed taking his money walking off the 18th.

I've found a consistency in taking modest amounts of oral iron supplements to reduce the tonal ringing. I can't get rid of the very-high-frequency hiss that's developed over the years, but the tonal noise (tones that hop up and down rhythmically between two frequencies--really annoying) seems to be mitigated when I take iron, of all things. I've conducted that experiment about three times now and there's consistency in that therapy--at least for me. I'm back to taking my iron tablets. :)

Yes, aspirin causes noticeable ringing in the ears, I've noticed. But it's pretty effective for many types of pain on occasion.

It's there a bit, but I really protect my ears alot now, and don't notice it getting much worse. I can still hear fairly well in the higher and lower ranges. What I find though, is it will just come out of the blue sometimes, and then dissipate over the day in a couple of hours.

• 6 months later...

I can pretty much ignore mine in daily life in the city. Once a year I go up to the Canadian woods and when I sit by the lake on a calm day it's pretty damn loud.

Am I the only one who's really noticing it now, purely due to reading this thread?