Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Serious Overreaction and I doubt the charges will stick. Carrying a rifle in a rifle case is going to be a hard sell as "Concealled" unless Colorado has some really tight laws. Personally, I think the guy needs to have a serious shark of lawyer to start slapping lawsuits around.

The city of Denver considers itself exempt from the state laws for some reason.

Bad Situational Awareness for the hunter, bringing a rifle case into a hotel where everyone is on edge.

Ditto on C& C of Denver. They need a very serious civil rights lawsuit and a large monetary award to wake them up. This could be it. If the jury selection is outside Dever, good chance of a success.

The city of Denver considers itself exempt from the state laws for some reason.

Bad Situational Awareness for the hunter, bringing a rifle case into a hotel where everyone is on edge.

Ditto on C& C of Denver. They need a very serious civil rights lawsuit and a large monetary award to wake them up. This could be it. If the jury selection is outside Dever, good chance of a success.

+1

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080825/ap_on_...si_hotel_arrest

I've really never thought about it but how many of us carry our tools in a range bag or case when traveling in and out of hotels, airports, etc.....

That is crazy. When I travel to a match I would ALWAYS bring my guns into the room with me. Who wants to leave them in the car where they could be "unloaded" by a quick window smash.

Two thoughts:

1. Ridiculous arrest. Yet another example of firearms laws applied against people who have no evil intent - while prosecutors make plea deals with real criminals.

2. Get a concealed carry permit if you can. If you don't wish to carry for personal protection - that's your decision. However, I'm constantly amazed at the number of competitive shooters that live in states that issue permits, but don't have them. If you carry guns around without a permit, it's possible to run afoul of laws unintentionally. Having a GA permit - which is honored by CO - I would have still gathered attention, but would not have charges for unlawful concealed carry.

Sounds like someone was trying real hard to impress the DNC.

I'd like to know if someone called it in or someone on Pelosi's staff saw potential front page coverage of their "girl".

Bill

edited to add: And how will this affect the bottom line of various Denver hotels when this information gets out just before hunting season. "If you are a hunter we recommend you stay elsewhere?"

Edited by Flatland Shooter

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080825/ap_on_...si_hotel_arrest

I've really never thought about it but how many of us carry our tools in a range bag or case when traveling in and out of hotels, airports, etc.....

Ive thought about it (more like worried) every time I check into a hotel. A couple of years ago while checking into a hotel in Kentucky for a three gun tournament there were two state troopers parked in front. I asked the clerk (with guncase in hand) if I should be worried about displaying my gun cases in the lobby, She chuckled and said "honey, no need to worry, your in Kentucky" :cheers: I love kentucky.

I think it was just very bad timing with the DNC starting and all for this guy.

Let me preface this by saying that I believe the reaction of the authorities and the subsequent criminal charge was ridiculous, but it is our duty as responsible gun owners to know the gun laws of the jurisdiction we live in and those of areas we are traveling to. I hope that the guy is vindicated and files a lawsuit.

...but it is our duty as responsible gun owners to know the gun laws of the jurisdiction we live in and those of areas we are traveling to.
...does that mean I can carry my AR in a case and just tote it around anywhere CO law says it's ok to carry concealed?

Well, as far as knowing the rules...I would have thought you could carry a rifle in a case anyway, with or without a permit. How else are you supposed to transport a rifle? Doesn't federal transport laws allow for this?

Could have been me :/

A few weeks ago me and one of my friends were going to a 3gun match far away enough to force us to spend the night.

We arrive at the hotel at around 9.30pm, get our room and keys and head back to the car to get our gear (2 cased rifles, 2 cased shotguns, 2 cased handguns and plenty of ammo, holsters and other equipment)

When we get to the room I managed to slide the keycard into the door without putting all my stuff down, but I'm too overloaded to be able to open the door "normally" and pretty much kick it open.

I got really surprised, but I'm sure the family and their two ~5y kids were even more surprised when they see us standing there in the door with all our stuff.

The hotel had given us an already occupied room!

Fortunately the guy was really cool about it and just asked us wtf we were doing in their room and if we were going hunting :D

After another trip down to the reception and some apologies from the hotel staff we were able to get into our own room. Wise from the experience, we made sure our door was securely locked from the inside before we proceeded with our pre-match talk and last-minute checks...

I can think of a few different bad ways this could have ended, but we were fortunately enough to get away with just a "funny" story...

Edited by gose

I want to check in to that hotel with a violin in a rifle case.

+1 to that.... <_<

and what if his rifle case[padded ?] had been with a key lock of some type...

i think he has a case on this or we are all in trouble or need to just know the law..but he whatabout you guys from CO..what is the law on this ??

Edited by GmanCdp