Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll: Gun cleaning

safenate

What type of gun and how many rounds between cleanings? How many rounds before failure due to dirty conditions/complications?

Glocks, 5K+ rounds. Failure at 0 rounds due to dust/dirt/lube combination in ME, none due to shooting residue.

HKs, same. One failure after reloading with a mag that dropped in mud, fired 3x before failure.

ARs, 5-10K rounds. No failures due to ammo gunk.

Sigs, 1K+ rounds. Failure due to spring breaking, none due to ammo gunk.

M60s, 10K+ rounds.

Berettas, 5K+ rounds. Only failure due to improper reassembly.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What type of gun and how many rounds between cleanings? How many rounds before failure due to dirty conditions/complications?

Glocks, 5K+ rounds. Failure at 0 rounds due to dust/dirt/lube combination in ME, none due to shooting residue.

HKs, same. One failure after reloading with a mag that dropped in mud, fired 3x before failure.

ARs, 5-10K rounds. No failures due to ammo gunk.

Sigs, 1K+ rounds. Failure due to spring breaking, none due to ammo gunk.

M60s, 10K+ rounds.

Berettas, 5K+ rounds. Only failure due to improper reassembly.

I clean about 400-500rds with a few rounds for practice after local ipsc match.

STI Eagle 6.0 Open gun with Schuemann Tribrid bbl. Clean after every shooting day, regardless of round count; at the end of each day for a multi-day match. It works for me.

Edited by NMCOpen

I try to clean every time I go out. I used to be more diligent, but now that I use SlideGlide, sometimes it's just the barrel. Whether or not the SL does anything special, I'm not sure. But it does give me an excuse not to get clean the whole thing.

I have raced lots of different things from $500k yachts to jeeps in the desert. One constant. Everything gets cleaned every time.

Races are lost before you ever start, if you don't prepare your equipment properly. Rode hard put away wet = broken when you need it.

Man, I guess I need to change my ways. I go at least 3K between cleaning my STI open, limited or single stack gun. If it won't run that many rounds without cleaning, it's a piece of junk in my mind and I won't own it. I do wipe down the outside each time. I'll admit that I don't even do the open gun dropped mag disassembly and clean either. I just knock out the big chunks and blow out the sand. I have not had a non ammo/shooter induced problem in two years now.

Edited by Fireant

I clean my USPSA type guns whenever I can't stand the sight of them anymore, or when my hand get dirty if I handle them. I do add lube if they are dry. They work.

Rifles I clean whenever I use, except the AR which gets treated like the hanguns above. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've had problems in the last 8 years due to dirty guns, and have fingers left over. I'm with Fireant on this, if they don't work dirty, the gun has a problem.

Edited by Vlad

I used to clean my competition guns once a year, about a month before Nats; complete detail strip and spring replacement. Since I haven't made Nats since 2006, my guns haven't been cleaned since --- except for the crud I knocked off when my first trigger return spring broke at a match a couple of months ago.....

If I had more majors coming up this year, I'd probably break them down, since I don't it'll be next year....

Well, with the time I have I can either clean them or shoot them but not both. So, I only clean my STI limited gun about every 1 to 2 thousand rounds. I will wipe them down after each match or practice session but actual cleaning is 1-2K.

I was taught "Never let the sun go down on a dirty gun".

This must be a army saying. I heard it often growing up.

My father was an Army gunsmith in a field armory. He felt the same way. When I was a kid, it was close to a beating offense to put a dirty gun back in the rack (just kidding).

Back when I shot HS-6 in my open gun, it came home so nasty that it got cleaned after every outing. It was so nasty I hated to put it in my nice and clean shooting bag.

Since I switched to VV N350, (talk about a clean burning powder) I still give it a good cleaning every 250 rds or so (i.e. after every other local match).

Bill

I was taught "Never let the sun go down on a dirty gun".

This must be a army saying. I heard it often growing up.

My father was an Army gunsmith in a field armory. He felt the same way. When I was a kid, it was close to a beating offense to put a dirty gun back in the rack (just kidding).

Back when I shot HS-6 in my open gun, it came home so nasty that it got cleaned after every outing. It was so nasty I hated to put it in my nice and clean shooting bag.

Since I switched to VV N350, (talk about a clean burning powder) I still give it a good cleaning every 250 rds or so (i.e. after every other local match).

Bill

that comes from the old blackpowder days.

Edited by Gregory_k

Barrel? I have never and WILL NEVER clean my pistol's barrel per Wil Schuemann's advice (he made the barrel - he should know!). Chamber? - sure. Have to clean that. But the only thing that touches the rifling is bullets.

Gun? Every other match to every 3 or 4 matches (unless its a major match - I always clean before one of those).

Magazines? I clean those DURING the match. If it touches the ground, it comes apart for cleaning.