Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practical Shooting as an Olympic Sport?

What are the chances we'll ever see Practical Shooting as an event in the Olympics?

I bring this up because I receive those pleas for money from the USA Olympic Shooting team.

Inside that letter were envelope stickers. One of which said: "Shooting is my Olympic Sport".

Now don't get me started that here in America that all the shooting sports in the Olympics this year are banned from network TV (the Europeans will get to watch) :angry: , but it made me think to myself that Practical Shooting is my sport... and why can't that be an Olympic sport too?

Seems like Practical Shooting exists just about everywhere in the world now anyways...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion the Olympics are all about money. The only sports that get into the Olympics (if they are not already there) are those that can bring lots of money to the Olympic Committee. IPSC has no money, period. We have shooters who have won multiple World and National Championships, in most other sports these people would be millionaires.

I don't doubt that some kind of action shooting sport would be popular, but it would not be IPSC. The spectator cannot see the hits on the target and the scoring system means they can't determine who is winning. Something like the Steel Challenge would be better. You can see the hits on the steel and it all comes down to time, so anyone can figure out who is winning, who is second and what they have to do to win.

IPSC/USPSA as we know it as an Olympic sport ?

IT. IS. NEVER. GOING. TO. HAPPEN... EVER.

No, it will not ever make it.

I make that bold statement because, I spent over 20 years in and around the Olympic movement as a shooting competitor. I served two tours as a shooter and NCOIC with the International Rifle section of the USAMU.

Throughout that time, there has been a constant dumbing down of any shooting that smells of shooting Animal or human targets.

First they got rid of Running Deer/Stag shooting. Next the got rid of big bore (large caliber) rifle events (1972 was the last), mostly because the ranges were hard to come by close to the rest of the Olympic venues. Then the 25m Running Target was changed from rings super-imposed on a Boar, to just round targets. Then the 25m version was eliminated all together in favor of a 10m Air Rifle version. Finally, I am pretty sure 10m Running Target is no longer an Olympic event. About the same time Running Target 25m Rapid Fire Pistol targets were changed from basically an elongated version of our USPSA target, to just round targets. They did the same thing for the targets shot in the Modern Pentathalon at the same time.

All along the way, the International sports unions have been eliminating anything that smacks of shooting at representations of living things, while trying to eliminate shooting sports all together from the Olympics. Luckily, shooting is one of the original sports of the modern Olympic era, and had huge participation (people and country wise).

Nope, the closest you will come is Olympic Rapid Fire Pistol. Standing still, 25m, 5 targets, .22LR guns.

Mark

Edited by Mark K

Obstacles:

1. Organized oppostion from the gun banning groups - forcing the IOC to take a position on a controversial matter if they grant any recognition to IPSC. [Google for VPC Gold Medal Gunslingers]
  2. The UIT/ISSF position that IPSCs attempts for recognition by the international sporting community are to be opposed; their statement that any ISSF region electing an IPSC shooter as their representative will be de-affiliated, and that ISSF members shall not take part in practical shooting competition. Defeating the IPSC recognition request before the General Assn of International Sport Federations was a cover article in their newsletter, and they were particularly proud of squashing any possible competition for resources of influence in Olympic shooting.
  3. The IOC's postion that there is one organization representing all present and contemplated shooting events - the ISSF.
  4. The lack of big sponsor, media or ticket $ to make the controversy worth it to the IOC

Obstacles:
  1. Organized oppostion from the gun banning groups - forcing the IOC to take a position on a controversial matter if they grant any recognition to IPSC. [Google for VPC Gold Medal Gunslingers]
  2. The UIT/ISSF position that IPSCs attempts for recognition by the international sporting community are to be opposed; their statement that any ISSF region electing an IPSC shooter as their representative will be de-affiliated, and that ISSF members shall not take part in practical shooting competition. Defeating the IPSC recognition request before the General Assn of International Sport Federations was a cover article in their newsletter, and they were particularly proud of squashing any possible competition for resources of influence in Olympic shooting.
  3. The IOC's postion that there is one organization representing all present and contemplated shooting events - the ISSF.
  4. The lack of big sponsor, media or ticket $ to make the controversy worth it to the IOC

Wow!!! :surprise: Wasn't aware of that one.

Here is a good note..... I have been told of a 4H group that has introduced USPSA shooting to their kids.....I would love to see that take off! I am going to be the new 4H manager for our county this year and our focus is on shotgun with a possible push to some action pistol.

"Nattering nabobs of negativism" keeps running through my mind as I read this. Never is a very long time.

"It will never get off the ground."

'Man was not meant to fly."

"Steam ships will never replace Clipper ships."

"Horseless carriages will never replace the horse."

Most of the posts above have done an excellent job of defining the problem... ;)

I dont think money has anything to do with it, is there any money in shot puck??

Pro gun / Anti gun... it's a one way street, they take and take but, except for one "little" piece

of poop that was allowed to expire, never give back !!

I'm sure they would like to get rid of all of the shooting sports in the Olympics, "little by little" !! :ph34r:

Oh ya, still wondering when those bottoms will snap in two in the picture ??

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

Dont think it ever will but then I am still trying to figure out how beach vollyball became a pro sport much less an Olympic one.

Hopefully this will answer your question...

p1_volleyball2.jpg

Yeah, McDonald's sponsorship (or Nike) can make anything a pro sport! ;)

Funny how in the original Greek olympics the sports were based on warrior skills, now they have almost nothing to do those skills. Eventually EVERY form of shooting will be done away with in the olympics, even the air rifle events. Later on they'll do away with archery events as well.

Funny how in the original Greek olympics the sports were based on warrior skills, now they have almost nothing to do those skills.

You mean you can't see the connection between synchronized swimming and civil defense?

[me neither!]

rvb

Funny how in the original Greek olympics the sports were based on warrior skills, now they have almost nothing to do those skills. Eventually EVERY form of shooting will be done away with in the olympics, even the air rifle events. Later on they'll do away with archery events as well.

You mean to tell me the ancient Greeks did not play basketball, or baseball or even ... badminton?

You mean to tell me the ancient Greeks did not play basketball, or baseball or even ... badminton?

WHAT? You mean there is no DIRECT lineage between iaido and badmiton? :surprise:

Never IS a long time.... But if it doesn't happen in your lifetime does it really matter to you anymore? I'm of a mind that meets my definition of never, and I think that's where we stand on this issue.

Never is a long time.

I remember when I was in high school I started snowboarding, no resorts would allow us on the slopes we had to ride on our favorite sled riding hills. All the snowboarders were "punk kids that didn't respect anyone" and there was no way to even make up a score to see who was the "best". Fast forward a few years; snowboards are allowed on nearly every mountian and it has been in the last two (I think) winter olympics.

My point is if we all take up a defeatist attitude and do not try to advance our sport we never will.

Have any of you noticed that participation as well as broadcasting of the olympics has also steadily dropped. I know most folks dont watch anymore because of the continual politics of the sports and then there is the continual introduction of sports that are based on judging and not time , speed or distances.(sychronized swimming comes to mind as one of the big ones). Basically if you are not challenged in some way that can be difinitively measured and not judged it is not a sport.Period. It may be interesting to watch but it is not a sport. The IOC and all of the other groups such as that are political and all about who can get who rich. :surprise:

Sort of like why do we choose some of the countries to hold world shoots in of late. :surprise:

If definitely isnt where it can be held safely and efficiently.

The modern Olympics is a political creation intended for the elite, for the "better sort" of people, not for the common herd.

It's money and time wasted trying to conform to anything they represent or sell.

I think it could be a great olympic sport and it could be set up so the spectators could see the hits and see the time and know who was winning. Only problem that I can see is shooting isn't politically correct. Would love to see it.