Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Socks

kimel

Here's one for the collective intelligence:

By now everyone has read the accounts of Area 1 and the heat that we endured.

When I got back to the hotel Saturday night I was greeted by an array of blisters in places on my feet I never thought blisters formed. Well, okay...it looked a helluva lot like that time when I was spending a month in Tempe AZ and went running out to the pool without my flip-flops. A helpful resident of the apartment complex demonstrated a few minutes later frying an egg on the same sidewalk. I was 10...what the hell did I know?

A lot of Second Skin and tape later and I was good to go Sunday.

Most of the small blisters were gone by Sunday morning (I heal fast, generally) but I still have the remnants of a couple dime and one nickle sized blister.

I was wearing cotton socks (yes, I know...cotton kills) which I realize was stupid. But I typically only think about socks during the winter and when going on hikes.

So, what works to help prevent blisters sock wise? I typically wear smart wool for day hikes and stuff but that is in boots, not cross-trainers (my preferred footwear for running shooters).

I'm also thinking ahead to Tulsa and plan on taking some foot insurance against both heat and rain (especially given last year's weather). Any preferences for the wet conditions?

Under Armor socks, or the Smartwool low-cut cycling socks and bring a change of socks, and change socks during the lunch break.

I wore Under Armor low-cut socks, and the shoes I wear for long days of shooting are 13W New Balance trail-running shoes. They are a bit loose, but your feet swell when you are on your feet all day.

You already have the answer; smart wool for all of the above. If you are going to pound your feet, get the best. Even in blazing hot weather, I find smart wool one of the best materials you can use. A very good second is the high end hiking socks from reputable companies. Just make sure they have synthetic or wool blends.

More importantly is how your shoes fit, loose in the toe box and snug over the arch with a good heel box. If your foot slides around blisters are only a matter of time regardless of great socks.

One of the best pieces of match advice I ever got (and I've even posted it here before ;) ): "Never underestimate the value of good socks".

Great for Rain, Heat, Snow, Sleet, Dead of Night (well, maybe not that last one..)

SmartWool or one of the other quick-dry hiking/trail-running-specific socks will work fine.

Smartwool. Comfortable, durable, and not prone to harboring foot-funk like some synthetics. I wear them daily for running, cycling, casual and dress.

Edited by BigDave

Thanks guys. I was wondering if maybe there was something better than Smart Wool, kind of a TechWear for feet, but guess I'm already there...just need a LOT more of them.

The Smart Wool Brand Light Cushion low cut socks are the bomb! I used to hate the word "Wool" till I found Merino Wool, and Smart Wool Brand.

For Boots I have been using Filson 100% Merino Wool boot socks, the grey ones, lightweight. Wear them every day as a uniform sock.

More importantly is how your shoes fit, loose in the toe box and snug over the arch with a good heel box.

If your foot slides around blisters are only a matter of time regardless of great socks.

In another life I thru hiked from Georgia to Maine on the AT.. I learned a few things about blisters along the way.

Blisters can come from shoes too tight OR too loose.

You will find them faster on shoes that are too tight. They will develop a hot spot and move to a blister.

Loose fitting shoes will develop wear patterns on your feet at a slower rate, but can lead to blisters as well.

You have to remember, for matches, you are standing around most of the match, standing on your feet.

They get hot, swell, and fit in the shoes a bit different then when you first put your feet in them in the morning.

Best advice is to change your socks, especially if it is hot humid and or wet.

Those conditions will accelerate the blister process.

Dry socks are close to pure bliss after several stages at a match.

Cotton socks soak up water.

Smart wool and or alternative fabrics can wick moisture from your feet. That is a good thing.

Some folks have the luxury of not having to worry about this, and they can wear whatever.

Others (like myself) want real cushy socks, so we end up wearing thicker hiking socks.

Buy several different types and try them.

Smart wool here too. They have various weights and lengths for about every activity and personality

They proved their value to me one winter when I put my entire foot through the ice...just enough to dunk that shoe in the icy water. My foot never got cold honest...a bit uncomfortable due to wet but the temp was in the 20's...they will always get my vote.

But I do like some fresh cotton socks for after the match...hmmmm

Hello: I must be one of the lucky ones. I use 100% cotton socks or close to 100%. I put dry ones on when I get to the match then change them after the match. I have found that using the socks that are the right size helps and shoes as well. What I used to do when I downhill ski raced was use Mitchem pit juice on the bottom of my feet. It stopped the sweat. Also a good footbed in your shoes may help. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

In addition to what the others have said, go to a place like Foot Locker and look for socks designed for Cross Training. They have good reinforcement where it is needed most.

And, fit is one of the single most neglected factors. Twenty years in the Army taught me that lesson and the money I spent on custom inserts for my boots were worth their weight in gold.

One other thought to consider,

If possible bring a second pair of shoes. If your an RO and have a chance to bring a second pair to change into 1/2 way through your day, it will reinvigorate your feet. Even if they are the same shoe they will fit just a little different and put pressure points on your feet in different areas. This coupled with a change of good dry socks like mentioned above and you feet will thank you. Being a former UPS driver, I know this made some of the long hot summer days lugging boxes more bearable. Even wearing those sexy brown shorts. :surprise:

Another vote for the Under Armor socks. If it wasn't them on my feet, it was the old school wool blend socks Uncle Sam still gives out. The only variation is when I was helping friends train up for SFAS and/or when I used to compete in the Bataan. Eagle Eye (or something like that) wool socks are awesome. In the end, if you're going to spend a long day out or weather is a concern, pack 2-3 pair of extras. NOTHING beats frequent sock changes.

Rich

I use the Smart Wool hiking medium crew. Even if it is extremely hot outside, my feet stay comfy. Same if it is below zero out. I think a $17 pair of socks is worth it if it means you are going to be comfortable.

I'm partially surprise it was not mentioned. Here's an old hiking tip I picked up... ready for this....

panty hose (no not the full crotch model) the short panty hose that only go ankle high, scrunched down.

Wear the panty hose "under" your socks and you will not get blisters.

take it or leave it, your feet will love me, your ego will hate me.

Hello: I was going to suggest the panty hose but thought better of it :roflol: After all that is what Under Armour socks are---right? One other thing hikers used to use in cold weather was silk socks under there wool socks. The silk would hold the moisture until you took them off. You cold hang them up in the cold until frozen and then shake dry. Comfortable shoes with a molded footbed will work the best of all. Your feet will not get tired or sore. You may also also try a good running shop to fit the shoe to your foot. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Everything (including the vasoline) that I was going to suggest is covered here: http://walking.about.com/cs/blisterschafin...stersbegone.htm

FWIW...unless it is raining and muddy...I RO in sandals. I lucked out a number of years ago and bought some cheap leather sandals. I thought they might last a summer. I've now been using them for years. They are probably the most comfortable shoes that I have. My feet feel good in them. And, they are open to the air. I often wear socks with them (yeah...looks great :wacko: ) at matches...just to keep all the dust and dirt from the range from getting between my toes.

I often wear socks with them (yeah...looks great :wacko: ) at matches...just to keep all the dust and dirt from the range from getting between my toes.

That's standard NorthWest Attire! Socks with sandals, likely Burkinstocks. :roflol:

I'm partially surprise it was not mentioned. Here's an old hiking tip I picked up... ready for this....

panty hose (no not the full crotch model) the short panty hose that only go ankle high, scrunched down.

Wear the panty hose "under" your socks and you will not get blisters.

take it or leave it, your feet will love me, your ego will hate me.

Not a bad thing in the least. One of the tricks we did one year for the Bataan was wear our Class A/B dress socks under our wool blend socks. Works great.

Rich

I RO in sandals. ... I often wear socks with them (yeah...looks great :wacko: ) at matches...just to keep all the dust and dirt from the range from getting between my toes.

So THAT explains the fashion statement @ Rayner's B)