Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alright all you watch snobs - educate me! Back when we got married, I bought my hubby the nicest seiko I could afford; stop watch function, date, adjusting bezel, other nifty features. It has finally died - the seal must have broken - after he got it slightly wet on accident, it fogged, and went defunct. Granted it wasn't as nice as the present I got (a gun safe)...but he's worn it daily since 1998. For father's day and a 10 year anniversary perk, I'd like to get him a replacement watch. While I'm sure a mechanical watch is the "preferred" timepiece, Quartz has a lot more features for less dollar. He may be an engineer but at a certain point, pragmatism wins out over design with him.

So what can you recommend and why?

Carina,

I've got several I like.

Seiko still makes a good watch and is worth the money.

I will tell you though that my favorite thus far is a Citizen Eco-Drive watch. Cool features, never needs to be wound or replace the battery, a great aviation watch, also has pre-set time zones (including UTC!).

Mine is a Blue Angels version that I think cost the wife a pretty penny. But my understanding is that you can get them for sub $300 and get a good value for it.

That's my personal recommendation!

J

I recently got a Casio Pathfinder PAW-1300. It's digit5al, but has solar power to keep the battery charged, updates via the atomic clock in CO and does all the normal stopwatch, etc. Additionally, it is an altimeter, digital compass and barometer.

I don't know that I'll ever need (or want) all the features, but ( liked the sound of the solar power and atomic clock updates. So far I like it

It was on sale at Fred Meyers for $200, normally $300.

Several models, but this was one of the lighter weight ones. Some of the other models are really big. I haven't noticed this one weighing on my wrist any more than the Timex Expedition it replaced.

Look at them and their features on the Casio website.

Guy

I'll admit right upfront that I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to watches.

That said - I proudly wear a Timex Digital "IronMan" that I got more than a decade ago at Wal Mart for less than $40. I've changed the batteries 3 or 4 times and I'm on my 6th or 7th Watchband. It's survived multiple IED strikes, mortar blasts, a rocket barrage and a trip to the bottom of an irrigation canal (don't ask). It's been through two fires that should have baked it and weathered temperatures as high as 130 and as low as 40 below zero. The face is scratched all to hell and most of the writing on the front is worn off and yet and it's never missed a beat. Probably the best $40 I ever spent. I could spend more, but why??

+1 for Casio. I'm HARD on watches. Industrial solvents, welding, hard knocks and wet.

I have killed everything including Seiko, but the Casio's just keep on running. They also

make one heck of a cell phone. The Gz-one.

+1 on the Citizen ecodrive. I've had one for about 5 years - which is a modern Olympic record for me (I'm hard on watches). The ecodrive is great (never needs winding, never needs batteries). I have the "sailhawk", and have to say that the dual time-zone feature is *wonderful* if he does any traveling.

Bruce

The G Shock's are ok as far as being a tough day to day watch but they also feel very similar to having a brick strapped to your wrist.

I really like the either the Luminox or Traser's as everyday watches.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/luminox-watches.html

http://www.lapolicegear.com/trh3wa.html

They look decent enough to pull off a little business casual but can absolutely take a solid beating if necessary. Big bonus to be able to tell time in the dark without fumbling for a button as well. I have used my luminox at work (fireman stuff) for 7 years and it shows absolutely no damage with the exception of a little finish wear (its coated black) that you wouldn't get on any of the stainless models.

I have 2 watches, a 20+ year old Seiko Automatic that was my Christmas present from my mom when I got out of the Army, and the same watch Guy Neill has.

The Seiko I just had cleaned/polished up for dress-up occasions, and the Casio is my every day watch.

One, go LIGHT!!!! Titanium is the way to go for class look and light weight. Yes, plastic is also light, but it just doesn't cut it in the looks dept. (For me)

I currently wear and have worn for abouut 5 years or more now, a Citizen Titanium, Rotatable bezel (one Way) Stop Watch function, and date. Accurate. glows at night. Also rated to 200 meters! I used to destroy 3 Atmosphere rated watches freediving. 200 meters will definately keep the water out to any sporting depth.

If I were going to replace this watch, I would look to the titanium Luminox watch since the titium numbers and hands don't just glow, they illuminate! Only downside there is that it cost twice this watch.

Jim

For beauty and movement and history Omega Speedmaster Pro, for a quartz everyday watch Casio Pathfinder or a G-shock :) middle of the road self winders I like Seiko 5's are hard to beat for how clean they are and a nice long running movement.

Leo

What is most funny about the posts here is that people that spent 2K+ USD on custom made guns because they're beautiful, they're a masterpiece, they're the best and finest example of mechanics, would not consider spending the same amount of money on a different mechanics masterpiece like a wrist watch, simply because a cheaper one does the same service as a really expensive one.

The same could be said about guns but it looks this didn't dawn on them ...

Carina,

Leo gave you a great advice, but I understand it being a bit out of your budget.

Even if I don't have one, I would say that a Seiko Kinetic Sportura Chronograph would be a very nice present.

I like nice watches. I own a couple that are not Rolex Presidential expensive, but cost more than a watch should. All of my expensive watches were bought brand new and have been used with respect...

None of them are 100% accurate and it pisses me off terribly. One in particular loses time like mad and has been returned to the manufacturer multiple times to no avail.

Tough and accurate? Casio.

Need something upclass for business? Citizen.

Seth

A match guns function is to run 100% for a long long time and be very accurate and for open and limited hold lots and lots of bullets, Things a $499 1911 wont do. A watches function is to tell time something a $40 watch does just as well as a $20,000 watch. Personally I think less is more, I followed the link to the Eco drive and that thing has like 8 hands. A big hand a little hand and the day that's day not date. I can usually keep track of the month it's the day of the week that gets me.

Another VERY satisfied Citizen Eco-Drive wearer here. Had mine about six years which is about 5x longer than I have ever had any other watch. I have the Blue Angels model too. If you go stainless you can get them for around $250 online.