Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hawaii Vacation

Considering heading to HI for a vacation. Where's the best place(s) to go and stay that more activity-oriented? (And least likely to require a rental car for the entire stay - I'm OK with driving for a couple of days, but I want to go and kick back, not surf roadmaps.)

I'd like to go snorkeling, maybe SCUBA, hiking, see a volcano, maybe do a little sailing and just plain kick back.

How long to go for? A week seems too short. Two weeks is probably undo-able. I'm thinking 10 days. I'm also thinking of avoiding the big island in favor of a smaller one.

What's been your experience? Any places to absolutely avoid?

Wife and I went last year ofor our 25th aniv.

Took advice from a Honolulu cop friend and never spent any length of time on Oahu.

Lots of property crime throughout Hawaii so do NOT leave ANYTHING of valuein your vehicle.

We went to the Big Island, Maui, and Kauai.

Kauai: Take the Napali Coast tour on a catamaran.

We saw all kinds of dolphins, great tours of that coastline which has been in all kinds of movies.

Maui: was our romantic kick back destination. Stayed at the Grand Wailea and every morning I went swimming /snorkeling.

Big Island was great and relaxing also. Good snorkeling there too.

Stayed at the Mauna Lani Bay hotel and it was mint.

Everything is very expensive , meals, snacks, etc.....and I would not bother going for only one week.

Stay at least 10 days.

I was surprised at how poor and impoverished Hawaii is outside of the resort areas and multi million dollar homes on the coastline.

Aloha!

JK

Start by locating the Sporting Clays facilities and then plan accordingly.

OK, that is what I would do because fish poop in the water and I ain't swimming in their toilet!

Good for you mister a little well deserved RnR.

Enjoy

Patrick

Eric,

I would like to recommend my island :D called Maui.

Has the things you want to do except a live volcano.

A rental car would be a good idea unless you do all the tour guided stuff and they'll pick you up at the hotel.

There is a sporting clay place on the southside of the island and they're called: Papaka Sporting Clays. Also on the southside in the Makena/Wailea area there are some nice beaches with some snorkeling. Lots of dive charters go out from there (Maui Dive Shop). There is limited bus service for a $1.00 (The Maui Bus). Great restaurants in the area and local type food (Da Kitchen Express).

On the westside, there are some nice snorkeling places (Kapalua Bay), nice beaches (Kaanapali & Napili Kai Beach Club), there is a shooting range, all of the regular food fare and Pacific Rim cuisine. The Maui Bus also services this side and you can get a ride to the southside for about $2.00-$3.00 each way.

Best hiking here, in my opinion, is a day hike through Haleakal Crater. A 10,000 ft elevation dormant volcano with rare silverswords and the Hawaii state bird the Nene goose (looks like a Canadian goose except no webbed feet). There is also the Lahaina Pali trail which takes you up in the West Maui mountains with a view of south Maui/Molokini and Kahoolawe, this trail is about 5 miles.

Sailing, do you want to drive or just ride? Got some sunset sails (aka booze cruise) that'll take you out of Lahaina (westside) and bring you back and you don't have to clean the boat when you're done. Wanna try surfing? Got the foam boards so they don't hurt so much if it hits you...in the head :blink:

You can take the ferry (Expeditions Maui) to Lanai for the day and there they have a sporting clays range, golf courses and Manele Bay. The boat leaves out of Lahaina and Maalaea harbors daily.

The best luau is the Old Lahaina Luau in Lahaina. It's worth the money and need reservations ahead of time.

Check out the tourist web sites or I can send you some tourist info stuff in the mail. Let me know.

B)

Thanks all! I'm not sure if this will happen or not, but there had been talk of heading to Vegas ... once we looked at prices it was like WTF? :o if we're going to drop $1500 to go to Sin City, why not just go somewhere nice instead for not much more and have a real vacation?

If you live in HI, is it like being on vacation every day? :lol:

================

HI5O,

Oddly enough... Maui was my first choice. ;)

Edited by EricW

Thanks all! I'm not sure if this will happen or not, but there had been talk of heading to Vegas ... once we looked at prices it was like WTF? :o if we're going to drop $1500 to go to Sin City, why not just go somewhere nice instead for not much more and have a real vacation?

If you live in HI, is it like being on vacation every day? :lol:

================

HI5O,

Oddly enough... Maui was my first choice. ;)

once *WE* looked

You got a we now do ya?

Or is ZuZu going?

Just wondering.

Patrick

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Big Island.. is big, but not crowded like Oahu (depending on where you go) - It's the only game in the state for an active volcano, has some nice snorkling, and never felt as touristy to me. Drawbacks are.. it's big.. so youmight stay down by the volcano for a night or 2.

You might look at splitting 1/2 on Hawaii, 1/2 on another..

I'm not sure where to go on vacation but I'm planning to find out when I'm there for work in a 2 weeks. I have to go to Oahu for about a week. The one thing that really surprised me when I was booking my travel was that a rental car is only 18.70 a day. I'm planning on burning up some Hilton points and United miles when I go on vacation so that kind of limits me to the more touristy places but it lowers my cost to that of food. I guess there is some advantage to traveling so much for work.

I moved AWAY from O'ahu in 1981, that oughta tell you something. Like Barry said, a lot of the "activities" are here but you will still need a car when you want to do your own exploring...or getting out to Ukumehame Range to shoot a match (hehehe...). The Big Island's activities will be centered around the Kona coast but won't be as extensive as on Maui. Also, since it is the youngest of the Hawaiian Islands, the reefs aren't quite as developed as they are on the other islands, great for scuba not so much for snorkeling. A lot more rustic though.

The islands are changing though, and not in ways that many people like...getting the right balance between America's capitalistic and technology driven economy and the agrarian environmentally based indigenous culture has been tough. Add in the influences of the many immigrant cultures and life here can be kind of schizophrenic at times. Still a nice place to visit...but it's not the same place your grandparents may have envisioned while listening to "Hawaii Calls" on the radio.

In any case, if you do decide to come, give us a shout and we can dig up some more in-depth info if you need specifics. If you want to shoot with us all the better, bring your rig, gun, and ten round mags. A ten day stay's gotta have a Sunday in there somewhere, and 3 out of 4 Sunday's we've got a match going on.

Aloha,

Gino

Hey Eric, all the local's from Hawaii vacation in Vegas :D

It can be a vacation everyday no matter where you live but that's usually not the case. I get caught up in the same rat race of life as everyone else. Heck, up until my daughter came out for Christmas, I hadn't even been to the beach in, I don't know how long. But I drive by it everyday.

Just wanted to add a couple more options for you of laid back places to go;

http://www.fourseasons.com/koele/

Stay on Maui, but take the Expeditions Ferry to Lanai for a couple of days. The Lodge at Koele is total seclusion from the rest of the world. Up the mountain at a higher elevation it's quiet, peaceful, and don't be surprised to wake up and see deer and turkey outside your door. You don't have to rent a car as there is a shuttle. Or you could rent a jeep and explore the island. Not touristy.

http://www.fourseasons.com/manelebay/

Your other option for Lanai is on the ocean. Again, no car needed.

http://www.grandwailea.com/

On Maui, there is great diving and snorkeling right outside your door if you stay here. Shop around as this place is pricey. (but so is everything else)

And finally, my personal favorite for R&R

http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/

This is on the Big Island (Hawaii). Not very touristy. No car needed. Shuttle to/from airport and most nearby activities. One of my favorite things to do is be on a chase lounge at the beach at dawn when the sun is coming up while drinking a couple of large triple mocha's. King's Court Mall close by if you get tired of resort food or want to shop. Forget driving, I highly recommend taking Blue Hawaians helicopter tour of the volcano. http://www.bluehawaiian.com/bigisland/video/

Enjoy :cheers: planning is half the fun.

Just got back from hawaii yesterday. we just spent a couple of days at honolulu for a little shopping and swimming.

We then went straight to maui and spent the next 8days snorkling swimming hiking etc. you will need a car since the bus schedules suck unlike ouahu which has an extensive bus route/s

I've been to Oahu twice and the Big Island once. I love them both. But, then I know some locals on both so I probably haven't had a typical Hawaii experience.

If I had to go to one island to do it all, I'd pick the Big one. The people are cool, the food awesome and the secenery is unlike anything. I'm planning on hiking up Mauna Loa with my buddy in December if they have the park open again. I think it is (was?) closed because one of the volcanos was acting up. Hell, the last rodeo I went to was on the Big Island at Parker Ranch. Weird.

People really slam on Oahu, but I think those mostly come from folks who've done nothing much off of Waikiki. I really like the North Shore - the locals are really laid back, the shrimp trucks are killer and ocean is awesome. We snorkeled on west side of the island (Waianea?) and had a great time. And, there are some really cool day hikes right in the middle of the island.

Eric,

If you scuba check out Jack's Diving Locker in Kona. If you happen to be on the Big Island and Ed Robinson's in Kihei. Not real cattle boat like. The diving in the islands is not the same as the Caribbean due to the colder water. the corals are not quite as spectacular but still very nice. You may get to see manta rays near Kona. If you get to Maui, try and get on a trip to the backside of Molokini Crater. Real nice wall dive. The inside of the crater is frequented by entry level scuba and the snorkel boats so it is pretty beat up. There are quite a few white tip reef sharks that hang out there.

Let me know if you need any contact info.

Later,

Chuck

SCUBA: the only sport in which I have a master card...

Just my two cents:

... if you're looking to do "the tourist thing", hit Oahu. Lots to of ways to check off the "I've been to Hawaii" boxes... Waikiki beach, Diamond Head, Aloha tower, Iolani palace, Pearl harbor, pineapple plantations, etc, etc, etc. Decent bus lines can take you to north shore, polynesian cultural center, Kaneohe, etc. Lots to see, and lots of other people wanting to see it along with you.

... if you're looking for "more laid back, with still plenty to see and do", hit Maui. There are plenty of timeshares and "reasonable" hotels available around Lahaina, and from there you can do all kinds of things. Walk Front street, go sailing, saunter up the beach to black-rock for some snorkeling, or just hang out on a [usually] less humanity-packed beach. If you get a car, Haleakala is probably a must-do, the road to Hana is scenic and fun.

... if you really want to relax and get in "island mode", hit the big island, or maybe kauai. Both are very laid back (kauai is probably a bit more spendy, on balance), fewer touristy-things and fewer tourists. Best way to really get the "aloha", IMHO.

None of that is to say that you can't find laid-back on Oahu, or tourists on the big island, but... we're talking generalities. Feel free to PM me if you want details (like, the best shave-ice on Maui, the best banana bread in the galaxy, etc.

BTW, once you decide where you're going, pick up a copy of the "revealed" book for that island. Lots of good little-known tidbits...

http://www.amazon.com/Maui-Revealed-Ultima...4009&sr=8-1

B

I've never been to an Hawaiian island I didn't like. ;)

No matter where you go, get to the beach at sunset and wait for a green flash. You may not catch one, but your chances are better in HI than anywhere in CONUS. If you SCUBA there is a half crater off Maui with a night dive, flood lights and the giant manta ray they attract. Big Island has volcano, complete with lava flowing into and being tossed by the waves if you go at night. If you go beyond the rope which says Do Not Enter be sure to take a flashlight for each person! The ranger goes off duty at 5:00 PM so you have plenty of time to get there before dark.... (you could die if you fall through into the lava so I would never suggest you go there). The highest cliffs in the world are on Molokai. We went to Kauai in January and went out with "Captin Andy" to watch the whales.

If you fly into Ohau before going to another island plan to see Pearl and the Arizona. I've been at Arlington and watched the honor guard do its thing and as moving as that is it doesn't compare to standing over the Arizona and watching the oil which is still leaking from the ship reflect on the water....

Go to Maui. I took my wife there on our honeymoon. She loved it. I had been windsurfing there for years. We went back for my daughter's 16th birthday. Still loved it.

Go to Hotwire.com. We stayed in a four star resort cheap!! I mean really cheap. Two pools, on the beach, etc. You could do almost everything within walking distance--scuba, snorkliing, shopping.

I rented a car-Expedia I think was the cheapest but check Hotwire again. No hidden fees. The island is very easy to get around and almost impossible to get lost.

On the main island, theft is a problem. Been there before, I have no desire to go back. Maui was pretty mellow even with all the changes.

the best banana bread in the galaxy

In the GALAXY?

Dude, sure it was *banana* bread? :lol:

Yes, it is banana bread. Don't worry when you see the sign that says "end of state maintained road", just keep going, albeit slowly, until you come to Julia's. Best in the galaxy I've had.

:cheers:

Eric to add what the other local bradda's have posted, and yes DonT, your one even if your were born in texas.

the morning paper ran a story about tourism being down and hotel are offering special rates

http://starbulletin.com/2008/05/27/business/story01.html

another option is to stay in a condo/hotel complex, most of the condos in kihei on maui are those. these are condos owned by snowbirds that stay here a couple of weeks or months a year, and rent them out the rest of the time to help pay the mortgage. they are fully furnished and have a full kitchen if you feel like cooking instead of eating out for every meal, which will save you a bunch of money.

the dining here is out of this world, if your into seafood, at a lot of the restaurants, the fish your eating today, was caught that morning. pacific rim cuisine is huge here, which is a blend of flavors asia, with american tastes in mind.

also if you eat like the locals do, it will be a bit more affordable, there are a bunch of plate lunch places where you can get a plate with rice, macaroni salad and a entree, the better ones are Da Kitchen in kahului and kihei and the Honolua general store in kapalua.

also a big +1 on the Maui Reveled book, I read it a year ago and was amazed how many thing I didn't know about. and their reviews on the thing I did know were spot on. although I gotta warn you, the chapter on the hiking trail have gotten a lot of landowners here pissed. many of the trails they mentioned are on private land, and there are tons of tourist trespassing and generally making a mess of thing for the owners.

they also mention where to get the best banana bread in the galaxy, which is on a barely one lane goat trail, that some clown decided to call a highway.

My wife and I went to Hawaii 2 yrs ago for our Anniversary. Stayed on the Big Island and Island hopped a little. Seeing lava flowing in person was a moving experiance for me. But the absolute best thing we did was hop to Molokai for an overnighter and took the mule ride down the tallest sea cliffs in the world to the famous leper colony. It was absolutely amazing. While down there you get an incredible view of some of the same terain that was filmed for one of the Jerasic park movies. And no, there is no danger of contracting Hansens disease (lepracy) by going there, there are still cases of it that are treated around the world.

post-6767-1211972687.jpg

Edited by mpeltier