Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA matches and weather

Sestock

Lightning activity near the range... Tornadoes have occurred in western PA... Road conditions getting to/from range (ice, blizzard, heavy fog)... Basically, things that expose participants to extraordinary risks.

I remember a few years ago we had to cancel one day of the Nationals in Quincy due to heavy, heavy rain and lightning. We had to make it up the next day by running two complete days of shooters in one day. We almost killed every RO and Stats Officer at the match, but we made it.

Gary

Edited by Gary Stevens

We shot a match in MN last Saturday. No need to cancel.

The temp was -14 when we started shooting.

Shot 4 courses of fire and when we finished it was all of -5, which actually felt balmy.

17 shooters showed up

Everyone had a good time!

Shot 4 courses of fire and when we finished it was all of -5, which actually felt balmy.

17 shooters showed up

They need a big white bus for that crowd! Have you guys lost your minds???

Congrats that took gonads! :cheers: (frozen beer)

So far we have shot in below zero and over 100, in rain, snow, sleet, ice and wind.

What will stop a match? Rain so heavy that no one shows up. Weather so cold that pasters don't paste and guns stop working. Rain so heavy the targets turn to mush hat even with plastic bags (Bring out ALL the steel!)

Really if a dozen people show up we will have our match. Now Lightning is a stop, no need to get your but zapped. Wind so strong the match just blows away sort of puts a damper on things (Again, bring out the steel) High temps, We generally have bottled water on the range, usually two per shooter, often three.

In reality, as long as we can actually get there, we have not said, "Lets go home" The problem is this. If a club starts to cancel for weather and the weather turns out to be less severe than predicted, the club gets a reputation of not holding matches when... And soon fewer and fewer people show up. Now this is not to say that a club can't cancel or that a club cannot have a "Season" In other words, they might decide that Jan, feb and March are not "Shooting Months" since the normal weather patterns might be deemed as too severe. Although reading some of the above leads me to believe that very few clubs exercise this option.

Jim

I can understand why a match gets postponed because of lightning or wind so strong you can't keep the targets upright. But why isn't a match ever postponed because of excessive heat? How many people have to go down with heat stroke before someone calls time out?

I remember an Area 4 in Texarkana where it dumped 10" inches of rain the day before the match. And then, the high temperature was a nice 110 degrees. With all the water slowly evaporating out of the mud, it was like shooting in a sauna. Someone with a fancy-dancy gauge said it was 127 degree heat index! I'm thinking that passing out with a gun in your hand might be a slight safety hazard....

Edited by carinab

I remember a few years ago we had to cancel one day of the Nationals in Quincy due to heavy, heavy rain and lightning. We had to make it up the next day by running two complete days of shooters in one day. We almost killed every RO and Stats Officer at the match, but we made it.

Gary

That might have been the "Flood Nationals" in 1993, when the Mississippi broke its banks everywhere and large stretches of highway were underwater around there. We were in the lower parking "lot" in a Jeep Cherokee and couldn't get out because that little stream had flooded it, and we rode back with someone else. They had several (7-8) inches of rain Thursday morning (the nationals still ran all week monday to friday) and finally everyone said hell with it. I also remember coming down off the hill (not a good place to be) and one dumb squad had decided to take shelter such that is was from the rain, wind, and lightning up against metal-faced wall (!) that was on one of the bays. I waved down Andy Hollar as he was coming boiling up the road on his 4-wheeler and pointed them out to him and he gave one of his especially exasperated oh-god looks and veered off to go chase them away.

What was really striking was that we usually gathered on top of the Elkton at night to watch the sun go down in the west. The Mississippi that year from our vantage point ran all the way to the horizon! Nobody was going across the bridge (obviously closed) to Missouri for cheaper gas, because the cheaper gas stations were all under water.

You can still see the marks on the bridge pylons where the water level was.

So far we have shot in below zero and over 100, in rain, snow, sleet, ice and wind.

What will stop a match? ...

Jim

I don't remember which one, but a few years back an Area championship was rained out, as in range totally flooded, multiple feet deep, no one ever got the first shot off and I don't even think anything was set up!

lightning...

and / or

freezing rain

Heavy ice conditions makes foot travel difficult (real slick) in some of our shooting location. We have a large "older" shooting population, and we don't need guys taking a header with loaded guns.

:blink:

Not that we really have that problem here in Texas, but that doesn't sound like a good plan to me. "Skating with Guns". Thanks, I'll pass. :rolleyes:

I can understand why a match gets postponed because of lightning or wind so strong you can't keep the targets upright. But why isn't a match ever postponed because of excessive heat? How many people have to go down with heat stroke before someone calls time out?

I remember an Area 4 in Texarkana where it dumped 10" inches of rain the day before the match. And then, the high temperature was a nice 110 degrees. With all the water slowly evaporating out of the mud, it was like shooting in a sauna. Someone with a fancy-dancy gauge said it was 127 degree heat index! I'm thinking that passing out with a gun in your hand might be a slight safety hazard....

To Carina's point, we've had people have heart-attacks / heat-stroke and die at hot-weather matches. I've yet to hear of a freezing- or lightning- death at a match. Heat kills people, take precautions..

Heat kills people, take precautions..

Agree 100%, we as spectators of "other" shooters, do not often see the point when the sweating shooter STOPS sweating, and miss the signs when we are trying to deal with the heat ourselves. I am as guilty as the next guy for trying to "push through" a run and gun shotgun side match when the prudent activity would have been to call it for the day.

As far as lighting, seeing my scorekeeper get sent over the berm from a direct hit stirke would be a quick clue that something wasn't quite right. That and once the ringing in my ears subsided...

Edited by maineshootah

Here we deal with the heat, not so bad as most of us are used to it, as it rarely gets anything close to cold or wet. We are in what is known as a "rain shadow" desert against a mountain range. Hot and mostly dry except for late August-Early Sept.( hot and not so dry)

Blowing sand though. I have seen a match closed on account of blowing sand. You can't see anything with sand in your eyes and typical shooting glasses will not keep it out. Will say though that I have shot in a sandstorm with a friend of mine. He was shooting a Star 9mm copy of a 1911 and I a BHP. Even with all the sand those guns functioned well. I'd never seen a Star before that, but it ran well under those conditions. Yeah, sand sucks!

Edited by JimmyZip

Freezing rain/iced up roads. Range is at the bottom of a L-O-N-G hill.

Weather for this Saturdays match is supposed to be low 30's and rain. I hope it snows instead,

makes the steel so much more interesting to shoot. :rolleyes:

If the snow drifts are too high to get into the range and the friendly farmer next door can't get over to plow the access road for us then we cancel.

We canceled one year when the high temp was minus something with a stiff breeze and no one felt like freezing.

We have also canceled due to Red Flag fire warnings. Our range is surrounded by wheat fields and the chances of a fire under those conditions are just too high.

In all cases so far we actually just re-scheduled the match when conditions were more favorable. I don't believe the club has entirely missed a monthly match in many years.

17 shooters showed up

At least Jon Huspek was wearing a shirt! :rolleyes:

I'd cancel a match for severe weather--lightning, tornadoes, etc. Not for just a little rain or cold, though.

Troy