Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180 violation

outerlimits

I had an Uncle many years ago. My father had a Ruger .44mag. Unc wanted to shoot is, so Pop said fine, Unc supposedly knew his stuss (Claimed he was an armorer in the NJNG if I remember correctly, I was about 10-12 at the time) Well Pop is watching the target, a 2 foot chunk of telephone pole. Unc lets one off with his elbows bent. If he wasn't wearing a hat with a brim, it is likely he would have embedded the hammer in his skull.

Funny now, not so then.

Jim

This is a second hand story, a buddy of mine went to hunt a pig

on a private ranch. The guide asked what are you shooting? My

buddy replied that he is going to use the 44mag. The guide was silent,

most likely thinking, not another dumb*ss with a handgun!

When my buddy took down the pig with one shot the guide screamed out,

Great shot! My buddy thought to himself, I hope so, that was like 7yds.

The guide then went onto to tell the story of last handgunner hunter.

Guy bought an S&W 500 short barrel for the pig hunt and never fired it

before hand!!! He spent the rest of the afternoon in the hospitle getting

his forehead stiched up!!!

Missed the pig!

A kid was killed by a .500 S&W to-the-head recoil a couple years ago in TX.

The double-fire ADs are ugly as well.

Giving a heavy-recoiling pistol to a newbie is not funny, it's stupid.

+1 physical injury, ruined trust, fear of firearms, and he just reeked of 'model citizen'... Sorry, don't see the humor in this one. Trained too many female shooters out of fearing handguns, I guess.

A kid was killed by a .500 S&W to-the-head recoil a couple years ago in TX.

Giving a heavy-recoiling pistol to a newbie is not funny, it's stupid.

+110 on stupid

She was very lucky it missed her forehead.

Big bore hand guns are a handfull ...even for the experianced shooter.

Jim

If I'm teaching a newperson, especially a woman or small child, I never load more than one bullet in the gun. We talk about it & it helps calm them somewhat & avoids the fear of "what if I drop the gun". Maybe that isn't the right way, I don't know, but it sure seems to help them feel better & it doesn't hurt my feelings too much, either. We then work up to two rounds, then we fill 'em up but not until they are comfortable with it.

MLM

If I'm teaching a newperson, especially a woman or small child, I never load more than one bullet in the gun. We talk about it & it helps calm them somewhat & avoids the fear of "what if I drop the gun". Maybe that isn't the right way, I don't know, but it sure seems to help them feel better & it doesn't hurt my feelings too much, either. We then work up to two rounds, then we fill 'em up but not until they are comfortable with it.

MLM

+1

When I take novice or zero experience people shooting I take a swag of firearms.

Start at 22lr (short or long guns) and work on up from there, single rounds as previously suggested is the best way. I let them set the pace, if they feel comfortable to shot bigger stuff then it is their choice, everybody is given fair warning and a demonstration of what they are going to be shooting.

Idiots who let people shoot bigstuff before they are ready should be standing in front of the firearm, not behind. I have seen more people give it away because they get treated this way.

It's not funny and it's bad for the sport.

NOW, if some macho dickhead wants to prove how much punishment he can suck up, then I have two nasty suckers (one a 5 1/2 pound 50Beowulf, the other an 8lb 458x2" both loaded with 500grainers) he can shoot prone, this usually settles the testosterone level down a notch or nine. Notice I say HE, it is unlikely that Rambo is going to be a Rambo-ette.