What rimfire do you use?

mshotwell

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello: I have a Browning Buckmark with a bull 4" barrel. It also has a C-More railway on a Weigand mount. OK it is for my 9 year old son but sure is fun to shoot. I was thinking of installing a Tactical Solution barrel but Mr Foote talked me out of it ;-) I did have a 1911 conversion but my son can shoot the Buckmark better and easier. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Tactical Solutions 1911 conversion on a Caspian frame. I'm waiting for the S_I mags and in the mean time hunting for a STI SS grip. That way I can practice from the draw for the main match with a grip and gun similar to my 9mm gun.

Hell, with the price of bullets these days I just might get an iron sight veriosn also and practice for UPSPA open and limited with a 22.

post-2055-1198369541.jpg

Edited by TMC

Right now I am using a S&W 1911DK with a Kimber .22lr convervion with an Allchin Mount sporting a 6 moa C-more. This is working very well for me. Last year I dabbled with a Ruger .22/45 Hunter with an Allchin Mount and a C-more and it also worked well for me. I seem to be a little faster with the 1911 as this is the platform I use for everything else, but I have never really compared the 2 side by side.

Ruger MKII Gov't Target(iron sights), but I don't like it. It's too muzzle heavy. I think I would like a Tactical Solutions upper with a 5 inch barrel better. I'm currently saving money and waiting to shoot one of their new 1911 conversions. I just think that is the way to go since I'm so used to my 1911.

I use a Ruger 22/45 Mark III with an Ultradot on top.

At the moment I'm waiting for a Volquartsen Mark II hammer, so I can remove the annoying magazine safety.......otherwise it's a very nice blaster, which just keeps running.

Here's my 22/45. Comp. is homemade and really is effective. Bushnell red dot will soon be replaced with Jpoint or similar type of sight. It runs pretty well on Federal bulk stuff from Walmart. I hate buying premium .22 ammo.

th_2245open.jpg

I'm using a Ruger 22/45 with Hogue grips, Volquartsen trigger parts and a Tasco PDP3 sight. I used to use a Kimber conversion with a JPoint. They both work using cheap Federal Bulk ammunition, but with the Ruger, I get to use the Ultimate Clip Loader.....just call me lazy. B)

MY FINAL SET-UP AFTER 5 YRS. OF SHOOTING SC .22

MARVEL PRACTICAL 5"

SPRINGFLD S/STACK FRAME

ALCHIN MOUNT

C-MORE 8 MIN DOT

6 MAGS

CCI MINI MAG AMMO (W/BORE SNAKE USED EVERY 2ND OR 3RD STAGE)

THIS COMBO WORKS PERFECT FOR ME.

I USE TO USE THE MARVEL NO.1 WITH COMP BUT IT WAS NOT RELIABLE

I SWITCHED TO THE PRACTICAL W/HI-VEL CCI MINI MAGS.

THEY CYCLE THE GUN BETTER THAN STANDARD VEL AMMO.

I DON'T FEEL THE NEED TO USE A COMP BECAUSE IT'S A .22 .22 FOR SC

Yup... Can't really have too many mags... I think I have somethinglike 15 Model 41 mags now... It's also nice to add base pads to them to make mag changes easier...

My shooting buddy & his daughter both use a Buckmark as well. Between us, 18 magazines :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have shot Steel Challenge for about five years and I think the rimfire part is the most fun! I use a Browning Buckmark with a Bushnell Holosight and have done very well with it. I have also used a Ruger MKII Government bull barrel and the Bushnell holosight with similar results to my Browning. The trigger on the MkII Government is really awesome (about 2lbs.and very clean) and much better than the Browning's creepy sandy 4lb trigger. However, for some reason I keep going back to the Browning. I shoot it under 100 seconds.

My buddy uses a Ruger MkIII 22/45 with custom grips and a Tasco red dot and is pretty awesome with that rig. He too shoots under 100 seconds.

IMHO, I have found, after shooting this event for a number of years, that reliability is as important (if not more so) than the gun. Even one mis-fire is too costly. My Ruger will shoot any .22, even the Walmart Federals, reliably and accurately. My Browning will mis-fire the aforementioned Federals once every 30 to 40 rounds; so, when I use the Browning, I use CCI Minimags and never have a ftf. My suggestion is that when you find a rimfire that you want to shoot in the Steel Challenge, start putting some serious rounds through it and record the number of ftf's and fte's with each brand. Keep working until you find a brand of ammo that goes bang with

I think you will see mostly Rugers and Brownings in this event. I have seen more than one shooter have a seizure over his .22 conversion (Marvel, Ceiner, etc.) not working reliably.