Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What rimfire do you use?

mshotwell

What do you have to do to the Ruger MKIII 22/45 to disable the magazine safety?
I have removed the mag safety from my 22/45 Mark III, by replacing the hammer with a Volquartsen Mark II hammer and a Mark II hammer bushing.........in that case you just pull put out the Mark III hammer and magazine safety and replace them with the Mark II parts.

Removing the mag safety makes fieldstripping much easier AND your mags become free dropping.

Edited by pevadijk

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So throwing out 22 conversions (the only one I'm taking seriously is one from Tactical Solutions), that leaves a MkII, 22/45 and the Buckmarks. Forgive my ignorance, but here's a few questions:

- On the Ruger's, anyone shot or played with Volquartsen's LLV uppers? They look sweet.

- After market parts are no problem, but a comp would be nice. Anyone know who will turn down the end of a barrel and thread it for a comp? TMC - Got a lathe at home yet? Want a MkII to cut on for me?

- Is the 22/45 worth it over a MkII? I have a MkII with some tweaks to it, but nothing major, I know the big advantage to the 22/45 is grip angle. My concern is reliability. I can add some putty/bondo to beef up the grips on the 22/45 to get it closer to my STI, but in the end, my only concern is it going bang every time.

- On the Browning's, anybody make after market trigger goodies for them? I've only played with an old Model 41. Felt good and I imagine it ran. Otherwise don't know much about Browning rimfires.

Rich

Rich, I can try to answer some of your questions. I have a couple of friends that tried the Volquartsen receivers. They liked them and said they ran, but they also dont put rounds through them like us.

I have become a fan of NOT putting a comp on the .22. If there is enough weight on the barrel there is no need for the comp due to lack of gas volume. I have a skinny Bud Bond type barrel with hybrid holes that I had to lighten the springs to get the gun to cycle reliably, and I can run the stock Marvel the same speed as the comped gun. Plus the comps really gunk up quick with the .22s...pain in the butt to clean...

I personally cant stand the Mk II now that I have the 22/45s.....my dad has my MK II now....he likes it.... ;)

One note, if you go with a 22/45 and a TacSol upper and have feeding problems let me know, my smith and I figured it out on my gun, and if anyone else needs help with it you are welcome to the tweak....

The Brownings work out of the box, and have a decent trigger. With mine it took 20 minutes, trimming the mainspring and working on the hammer/sear engagement and I have a helluva trigger, period. Rugers are a pain in the ass to set up, but I like them when they are done. I dont shoot them because they dont fit my hand well.

Going bang every time boils down to ammo. I have had boxes of Fed 550 pack go bang everytime, and then find one with 5 duds in it that wont go off at all....We get what we pay for...

For matches that matter I run CCI standards or Minimags, or some of the Wolf/SK ammo it is good stuff. Not cheap, but compared to what we spend to go to matches.....priceless......

Hope this helps,

DougC

PS....I think the Marvels need a thumbguard on the frame or safety, so you dont ride the slide. When I consciously dont ride the slide it runs with good ammo all the time.......

Edited by DougCarden

Rich, I have a VQ LLV upper for my MKII. I use for Bianchi Cup type shooting. Feeds reliably and almost no muzzle rise which is comparable to my 5.5" target upper with far less weight. My stock stainless MK II with target barrel weighs 3.5lbs. My MK II with the VQ, mover base and burris pro-point red dot is only 2.5lbs.

Is anyone using an Advantage Arms Glock conversion? I shoot mostly Glock, so that seems a natural choice and I like the idea of being able to draw from my Ghost holster and closely mimicking my IPSC rig. Is this conversion reliable enough for competition or more of a practice tool? I'm looking for something to shoot in local steel matches. I like the idea of the conversion, but I'm skeptical of conversions and don't want to spend the match dealing with jams. I haven't seen AA mags in person, but the other concern I've had is that conversion mags are usually pretty flimsy. Would I be better off getting a Ruger or Browning?

Is anyone using an Advantage Arms Glock conversion? I shoot mostly Glock, so that seems a natural choice and I like the idea of being able to draw from my Ghost holster and closely mimicking my IPSC rig. Is this conversion reliable enough for competition or more of a practice tool? I'm looking for something to shoot in local steel matches. I like the idea of the conversion, but I'm skeptical of conversions and don't want to spend the match dealing with jams. I haven't seen AA mags in person, but the other concern I've had is that conversion mags are usually pretty flimsy. Would I be better off getting a Ruger or Browning?

I shoot glocks exclusively, the AA conversion i have never shot reliable enough to count on for

5 to 7 stages of steel challenge. And i have seen another shooter at our steel matches with the same problems. you can use your center fire holster to carry your .22, but all rimfire shooting is done

from low ready or touching the table. i use the marvel PRACTICAL because it works and is reliable.

ty-3853

Hey Rich,

The Tactical Solutions Ruger uppers can be had with threaded barrels (they also make one with an integeral supressor!) and thier barrels for the Buckmark are also available threaded.

Todd

I shoot glocks exclusively, the AA conversion i have never shot reliable enough to count on for

5 to 7 stages of steel challenge. And i have seen another shooter at our steel matches with the same problems.

That's what I was afraid of. I think I might just go with a Ruger 22/45. I've seen one with a 5.5 fluted barrel that looks promising.

I haven't shot the SC, but can tell you that my Glock LE AA conversion runs very well with the right ammo. I have five mags that have each feed 3 to 4K rounds each, and the only problem is that the followers can get a bit slicked up with brass and let the last round ride forward while feeding the 2nd to last round, causing jams. Cleaning the followers occasionally with a copper solvent eliminates the problem. MiniMags work well. Still, you're talking about a reciprocating slide and sights.

I have a bull barrelled 5" Ruger Mark II 22/45 that barely has any muzzle rise despite no comp. I'd probably shoot that in the SC.

So basically, I've got it down to a couple of options:

1 - TacSol 1911 kit, if they ever release them, especially with their STI mags

2a - Give my MkII to my Dad (it was his anyways), pick up a 22/45 and build it up (I'll assume the LLV goes on the 22/45)

2b - Roll the dice on a Marvel.

Basically, I'd prefer to use the TacSol or Marvel, since I can use my Open gun's lower and dot (same trigger, dot, etc.). I'm not "cheap" by any means. If I need/should build a dedicated 22 on a STI frame, I'll do it. I have extra. Just want to do it right, without headache on "tweaking" it to run. It's not like my centerfires where I can send it to a gunsmith to fix. This 22 crap is all a mystery to me. I've heard not so good things about the "newer" Marvel kits (i.e. after Bob Marvel was bought out) and as far as I know, it's the only option for a STI/SV frame (other than TacSol).

I'm with you Doug. For practice/plinkin', if it'll run the cheap stuff, great but in the end it's gotta run. So, if I need to buy the "expensive" stuff for practice (matches, it's not even a question) then so be it. It running is more important than the cost of ammo...to me.

When I get back stateside, I'll have to call you on this. It's imperative that I get a running 22 Open gun up before February 10th.

Rich

Don't forget the 617 10 shot S&W revo folks :blush:

I shot a 617 in the rimfire event at the 2004 SC. It was fun and reliable, but I think next time I will shoot my High Standard Victor with Morini grips, and of course CCI Mini-Mags.

• 3 weeks later...

So the dilemma continues on which direction to go. I would REALLY like to get a 22 conversion. Heck, I'll spend the money on a dedicated 22 caliber 1911/2011, but don't want it to be a "tinker" gun. Quality complete lower from my 'smith and then throw a conversion on it and go!

In the meantime, I decided to play with my MkII until the Tac Sol (or someone else's) become more available. Throw a rail and a C-More on it and call it good.

In the mean time, all reports on RECENTLY acquired conversions from Cierner, AA (for the 1911) and Kimber are appreciated.

Rich

Dawg, I debated as well - buy a .22 conversion kit and tinker with it or buy a dedicated pistol that works 100%.

Bowing to my temperment - which isn't always the best to be around when my gear doesn't work ;) , I bought a Ruger MkIII with some Christmas $ and threw an old Tasco red dot on it.

Seems to be working just fine on the couple of steel matches I've shot with it and it runs 100%....

So the dilemma continues on which direction to go. I would REALLY like to get a 22 conversion. Heck, I'll spend the money on a dedicated 22 caliber 1911/2011, but don't want it to be a "tinker" gun. Quality complete lower from my 'smith and then throw a conversion on it and go!

In the meantime, I decided to play with my MkII until the Tac Sol (or someone else's) become more available. Throw a rail and a C-More on it and call it good.

In the mean time, all reports on RECENTLY acquired conversions from Cierner, AA (for the 1911) and Kimber are appreciated.

Rich

When I first started, I ran a Kimber conversion (made by Kimber) with a JPoint. It ran without problems as long as I didn't use Federal Bulk or CCI Blazer ammo. I also built a Ruger 22/45 with a PDP3. It runs on Federal bulk and very rarely doesn't go bang, which I believe is the ammo, not the gun. I am currently using the Ruger, mostly because I'm lazy and I can use an Ultimate Loader :rolleyes:

If anyone is planning on putting a Tactical Solutions upper on a Ruger 22/45 or MK III frame.......Lissen up.

Due to the maufacturing tolerances on the Frames...... :rolleyes: ..ah....plastic.......You may have a feeding problem with your gun. Please read on, not post against TacSol.... :)

I fought this last year and ramped the barrel, it worked great, but I over ramped it.... :angry2: I then sent it in after the SC and got a new one. I was the Dumbass....

Now, did I stop to think why it wouldnt work and it was only the ramp? I bought new mags, I resprung the gun, setting it back to Factory specs. I had 2 weeks of dinking around with it.....

Now flash foward to this winter, I got a new one top end and the darn thing is doing the same thing.

I spent hours at my Smith's place working on this sucker....He was convinced it was timing, I thought is was the ramp.

One night it hit me.....measure the factory upper vs. the new one.......Argh...... :blink:

I have two 22/45 frames set up the same, so I set up the factory top end that runs flawlessly....(probably just cursed that gun...) and the other with the TacSol upper. Something didnt look right. I measured the center of the bore to the trigger pin on the frame. It was repeatable...One was .015...the other was .017.......doesnt seem like much, but it was the difference. It was repeatable with both frames. They guys I know that are using the top ends on the MK II steel frame guns dont have any problems, so It appears that the upper was made for that in mind. The rounds hit low in the plastic frame, bounce off the lower part of the ramp, pop up over the chamber, and dead end on the top of the breechface. Doesnt seem like much, but when you are timing a gun.....look out!

This is not a dig at TacSol....they have great stuff and I love it, but if you have problems running Ruger 22/45/MK III......this might be the deal....feel free to PM if you need help

PS the gunsmith was right, but this time I got lucky too.....I ramped it again, but didnt do too much this time....works like a charm!....... :cheers:

Hope this helps someone..,

DougC

My ideal would be to take one of my STI frames (yeah...I have extra) and build a dedicated 22 pistol. However with Marvel and Tac Sol being the only two with kits with mags for the STI frames, it's an ever tougher process. Tac Sol (who apparently are the gold standard for 22 conversions) don't have their kits available yet. Marvel who has a questionable performance line between the first generation(s) that ran flawlessly to, at least a couple of years ago (and possibly recently) having less than questionable reliability.

It's just frustrating and it's why I'm now looking at one of the "other" conversions (i.e. Cierner and Kimber) and to build off of a single stack frame. This is less ideal but still 'better' than a Ruger or Browning since it's the same gun (i.e. 1911 base) as my Open gun.

My MkII (non-22/45) runs flawless. I've got mags and it does have possibly the coolest accessory for Ruger MkII's a mag release at the thumb (got that a LONG time ago). To add a dot is simple and I'd do a trigger job as well as make some 'fat' grips to fit my hand better. But it's still not a 1911. Guess I'm calling Rusty tomorrow and see what he would be up to take on.

Rich

ETA: If anyone has pics or specs on a dedicated 1911 based pistol, I'd love pics and info. Thanks.

ETA2: Does anyone own or played with the Kimber Rimfire pistols? Had one of their kits and it didn't run with a crap. To be fair I think now it was due to the ammo. Thinking of just picking up one of them and then mounting a C-More.

Edited by uscbigdawg