Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What rimfire do you use?

mshotwell

I ordered the Tac Sol upper at last years SHOT show. After a several month delay on their promised ship date I canceled my order and gave Marvel a call. I've fired more than 10,000 rounds thru mine, most of that being with the suppressor on and have only cleaned it twice. With CCI standard velocity ammo it has yet to feed and function. Never a single problem.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rimfire Update from Dougie....... :roflol:

I recently borrowed a Ruger MK II Steel lower and put my TacSol upper on it. It would not run reliably on the MK 22/45 polymer frame. I fought the Receiver/22/45 combination for 2yrs...... :angry2:. It runs like a raped ape with the Steel MK II lower. I am now a happy camper. :cheers:

READ.........I have corresponded with other owners of TacSol uppers.......They do not work reliably with the 22.45 polymer lower receivers.....dont suffer through the agony I have gone through......

I also have been torture testing my Marvel unit as well. I have it on a STI lower with the SS magazine lower. I used a Brazos thumbguard on it, but I was still malfing the gun with my hamhock like thumb.........I used some epoxy and put a piece of steel that went back past the slide a little bit, to keep my thumb clear of the gun/slide etc.

I shot a Fed 550 pk from Walmart through it the last two days without cleaning it. Only problem I had was one round that wouldnt go bang. I put it back in, rotated it, and it went bang. I had a lot of crapola on the rear of the barrel, so it might have been that, but now that I have a 17lb mainspring in the gun and am not contacting the slide, it works......

Halleluah!

Now I have to decide what I like/shoot better for Steel..........Oh the humanity..... :goof:

Went to the range to try out my TacSol/STI pistol. Dedicated lower and it's pretty sweet. The frame to upper fit is a little tight, and push come to shove I'll lap it to smooth it out a smidge. The Federal 550 pak ammo that I shot through was smokey and I only shot like 20 rounds of it as I was a moron and forgot my mags. Yeah...single feeding them.

I did pick up some American Eagle and Blazer 22 ammo at the shop though and will be trying them (again) this week as well as the same Federal and some CCI Mini Mags.

Wish me luck and I'll have pics up soon.

Rich

Kool Rich, let us know how it works out. I would lap it in and polish the shit out of the disconnector rail so it is slicker than whale snot with just oil. That seems to help the other .22 units.

DougC

Went to the range to try out my TacSol/STI pistol. Dedicated lower and it's pretty sweet. The frame to upper fit is a little tight, and push come to shove I'll lap it to smooth it out a smidge. The Federal 550 pak ammo that I shot through was smokey and I only shot like 20 rounds of it as I was a moron and forgot my mags. Yeah...single feeding them.

I did pick up some American Eagle and Blazer 22 ammo at the shop though and will be trying them (again) this week as well as the same Federal and some CCI Mini Mags.

Wish me luck and I'll have pics up soon.

Rich

Same issue of tightness with my tactSol/ sti. It started to loosen up after 500-600 rounds and keeping it very lubed up.

I've now switched over to a Buckmark with the TacSol 5.5" barrel and comp and a C More, and it flat out runs. Gonna take me a little while longer to get used to the feel as I am transitioning from a Ruger MkIII Hunter with an Aimpoint, so there is a huge weight change.

Also, on some advice here I tried out Federal Auto Match (been running CCI Mini Mags). Runs just as well, very consistant and I am more than pleased with the accuracy. To me it is everything the CCI is for $13 per 325 vs. $7.50 per 100. Think I will order a case tomorrow when I get to the shop...

REMINGTON VALUE PACK AMMO SUX!!!!! But we all knew that already, right? :closedeyes:

Brian, Rich,

Definitely a good idea to lap the slide in on the conversions. They really do need to be loose on the frame, but since the sight is attached to barrel (generally, anyway), you shouldn't lose any accuracy. Whenever I hear of somebody having problems with the TacSol, "how tight is it?" is the first question I ask, most of the time, the answer is "well... it’s pretty tight...". . .22's just don't have the power to overcome much resistance. (especially the cheap, inconsistent Federal crap from Wal-Mart that we all shoot :cheers: , you should have seen the look I got when I asked for a pallet price) I've used two different conversions on my Dad's Springfield frame, both rattle on the frame when they're installed, and I haven't had one bit of trouble out of either of them.

Doug,

have you tried sending both the grip frame and upper for the 22/45 back to TacSol for fitting? They sent some Pac-lites on 22/45's down for us to use in an NSSF First Shots in Feb, and those ran 100%, while we have quite a few problems with light hits with the Buckmarks.

Ken,

If you found lot # of Federal Auto Match that works well, go back and buy all that they have left of that lot#, same thing for the 550 rd Federal Bulk packs. Some lots work awesome, just as good as anything CCI puts out, and then I've found others that I couldn't hit an 18x24" rectangle at 35 yards off of a bench rest.

Edited for poor spelling.

Edited by B.J. Norris

READ.........I have corresponded with other owners of TacSol uppers.......They do not work reliably with the 22.45 polymer lower receivers.....dont suffer through the agony I have gone through......

Doug, the way this reads to me is that you talked to the owners of TacSol and they advised the uppers don't work on the 22.45 polymer lowers? Am I reading that right?

Lawman, I have been corresponding and talking to TacSol people for the last two years trying to make the 22/45 lower work.....I have also been given at least 3 2nd party reports that others had problems with the 22/45 lowers, and for giggles we tried a newer Mk III polymer lower. It didnt work either.

This is the second upper that I got from TacSol, and was told it was tested with a Steel lower and ran 100%. I have two 22/45 frames from different batches and they both do not work. I could get them to run 98% with 40gr roundnose ammo, but it malfed 8 times at the Steel nats and I will not go through that again.

Testing with the upper with the Mk II steel frame has been 100% reliability, and I am happy again. I am not happy about all the manhours I spent trying to get the other combo to work, but that is how we learn, right..... :rolleyes:

I really like the products that TacSol has put out and this is not a dig, just what I have learned from the experience!

To be fair to the TS upper, the frame that it's on was brand new and the rails of STI frames start out fat anyways to better fit a new build. I didn't want to modify the upper so I had my 'smith fit the frame to the upper (opposite of how most build 1911's). I'll be taking it to the range probably tomorrow. I'll report results as well as have pics.

Rich

Just got back from the NJ World Class Steel Shoot.

I shot a Tactical Solutions 22lr upper on an STI frame and it ran flawless with CCI minimags at the match.

Last week I received some new 22lr wide body mags - I plan to try these with a new TacSol 1911 22lr upper - I'll post my findings later.

IMHO the 1911 (2011) TacSol upper w/TacSol mags is worth the wait - very accurate and runs well ...

Got a chance to run some variety of ammo through it. Federal 550 box (Wal-Mart), American Eagle and Blazer. All three ran in the gun, but it's still getting broke in and there were a couple of little weenie misfeeds. The only "jam" came from the Federal, so all in all a great break in. I'm going to pick up some Mini-Mags today and go burn probably 500-600 rounds today. The gun shoots awesome and is ridiculously flat. The TS upper is definitely the way to go. The weight is nearly the same as a stock 1911 and ordering the integral rail with the iron sights gives you the max in flexibility (Open vs. Limited).

Rich

• 3 years later...

I shot my first Ruger Rimfire Challenge today. Here is what I used.

100_2627.jpg

The rifle is a 10/22 that has been very much massaged.

The pistol is a Springfield frame under a Marvel Unit 1. This also worked well but I did have a few feeding hiccups. The frame is running on a #19 mainspring and I am going to swap in a #17 to ease the burden on the conversion unit. I ran Federal AutoMatch ammo in both guns.

Edited by lawboy

Doug here is my 22/45 this thing just plan runs up to about a 1100 and clean and repeat. A little loose but for steel at 35yds no sweat. Did you try the comp? Mine went from 94-97% to 99.9% with it why, I don't know but it did.

http://DSC01469.jpg

Edited by KPIC24

Well, I've used an old Hi Standard Hamden Victor at a few matches. I have an Al Marvel scope base and Holosight on it. The work in progress is to fit a fiber front sight off a Ruger / Buckmark to it.

The design criteria for any sights is that no mods to the original barrel or sights are allowed. The Marvel base replaces the factory rib.