Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Etiquette

Flatland Shooter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You did the right thing. Easiest way around it is to just ask the Ro , can I tape this now? Or if it was with the guys I shoot with everybody is laughing and making fun of you.

The bottom line is we get the scores right. If you want to cheat we dont need you in our sport.

Now with all that said. There was a time, way back in 96 I think, I was so desperate to win that first major match. An RO missed a no shoot. It was full diamater. Should of had a miss also. 25 points I got I shouldnt have. I felt bad and then the scores came out and I won by 40 points, well 15 really if we count the 25 I shouldnt have had. I didnt know about it until another shooter pointed it out to me but i have to admit I probably wouldnt have said anything. I let the desire to win get the best of me. I learned a big lesson that day. If I ever won again i wanted it to be squeaky clean with no question.

I got paid back also, two fold. Another shooter and I were neck & neck at a Golden Gate match. He shot a no shoot or two with one being full diameter. He was a top shooter in the day. He jumped up and down that the no shoots were not his. The Ro bought it and he ended up winning the match , I was second. I never would want to be in that position of winning and not deserving it.

Again, the objective is get the score right, good or bad.

"Listen up buddy...I know that you're new, so I'll go easy on ya this time."

Whadda chump! I hafta shave every other day to pass as "Not Homeless", which requires me to look in the mirror. That would be a difficult task being a cheater.

"Listen up buddy...I know that you're new, so I'll go easy on ya this time."

Whadda chump! I hafta shave every other day to pass as "Not Homeless", which requires me to look in the mirror. That would be a difficult task being a cheater.

Looking at your mug in the mirror...sounds difficult by itself.

:surprise::blink::goof:

The guy who cheats scoring.... If you can convince yourself it is worth putting aside your moral values to take points that are not yours....

Always would make me hesitate...just a tiny bit... about leaving my gun bag open and around the guy.....

When I happen to hit a no shoot :rolleyes:

A chorus of friendly voices call BLEEDER WHITE TAPE and the like :lol:

You just cant help but laugh :P

And I do my best to help them out too :cheers:

Jim

sorry got side tracked by White tape giggles

you did the right thing!

And cheaters.....well I wont even say what I think of them

Edited by GentlemanJim

I'm with the crew.

I am certain, over the many years I've been shooting, that I've collected some no shoots that were missed and I was unlucky enough to get them. I'm also sure that I've not received a few that were missed - and I should have. None of it intentional.

You did the right thing. Bring it to the attention of the RO. If the shooter wants to question whether it was his/hers or someone else's then that's between the shooter and the RO. Quick story - I was at a nationals one year, had shot a stage, and we were scoring it. Another shooter mentions a no-shoot when taping. And there was very clearly a hole in a no-shoot on the stage. The RO and and I talked - calmly I'll add - about the target. It was a swinger shoot target and the no-shoot was on the left hand side. The RO asked did I remember where the shoot target was when I engaged it. I thought I remembered but honestly, I could have been mistaken. I told the RO where I thought it had been. He says "funny, I thought it was in the same place" If it was where we'd thought it was, I couldn't have shot the no shoot. He decided, no no-shoot. The other shooter didn't like it - I clearly benefitted from it - but the RO went with the shooter (which happened to be me). So it can work out.

Manny mentioned doubles and I like my new philosophy with doubles. I don't score them for myself. In fact, I walk away from the target and let others, with no interest in the outcome of the scoring of the target, decide on whether or not there's a hit there or not. And I accept what they say. I've seen it done both ways, and I like my new way. If somebody who is unbiased scores the target and they deem it a hit or not a hit - then I have to figure they are right. I know I'd be biased in scoring it - looking for that little grease ring on the right or left.

I've found 99 times out of 100 that the RO tries to benefit the shooter. If they make a call against the shooter - odds are they are right.

Sorry for the long post (and boring story, oh - and thread drift)

Back to the thread - you were right!

J

The only thing I see wrong with this story is the guy trying to cheat. You did right, he's wrong, will continue to be wrong, and probably doesn't win very often, or ever. Not the first time you will see it, and it won't be the last, as is the case for us all. Cheats can't win, that's why they cheat. And on what Manny said about the "doubles", don't get me started on that little topic either.

Another potential problem here is if we deliberately walk by a NS with a hole in it (for what ever reason) when the next shooter is coming to the line, and the RO, scorer and target tapers are scanning the targets for missed holes (we all do that, RIGHT?) somebody is going to be yelling out "we've got an untaped target". Now you've made the RO look foolish because he missed a target and the guy on the line is pissed because he's about to run a stage with a no-shoot hit. Being honest is better for everyone in the end.

I know you're just trying to play ball, but next time someone "takes you aside" and gives you some garbage like that, tell them that's bullshit.

I hafta shave every other day to pass as "Not Homeless",

Dude --- if you still look like the pic in your profile you missed a spot..... :P :P

The soul patch? Now that it's getting colder I've got this Tevye thing going on.

I've found 99 times out of 100 that the RO tries to benefit the shooter. If they make a call against the shooter - odds are they are right.

Exactly.

I have only run into 1 RO who was "out to get" the shooter. That was because he had a crappy stage design and everyone gamed the hell out of it. :rolleyes: (me too), he was MR. OVERLAY for just about every target with a hole within 2" of the perf.

Regardless, the majority are out there to make the stage be efficient, clean and safe. To try to take advantage of that is wrong.. wrong.. wrong.

You were right. Keep it up.

Exactly.

I have only run into 1 RO who was "out to get" the shooter. That was because he had a crappy stage design and everyone gamed the hell out of it. :rolleyes: (me too), he was MR. OVERLAY for just about every target with a hole within 2" of the perf.

Regardless, the majority are out there to make the stage be efficient, clean and safe. To try to take advantage of that is wrong.. wrong.. wrong.

You were right. Keep it up.

No, Mr. Overlay is already taken. The real Mr. Overlay wouldnt care if you gamed his stage. He has gamed a few himself. But if it was his stage you can count on any gaming being intended in the design.

No, Mr. Overlay is already taken. The real Mr. Overlay wouldnt care if you gamed his stage. He has gamed a few himself. But if it was his stage you can count on any gaming being intended in the design.

Not meaning to hijack thread but what is gaming a stage?

tia

HK_MTBR

I would say that everyone here has benefitted from a missed penalty at one time or another ie. foot faults, no shoots, etc.. But to pull another shooter aside a tell him it's not his place to point out penalties if he is not the RO?? Well in my book I don't want to be around a guy that NEEDS those points that bad.

Not meaning to hijack thread but what is gaming a stage?

tia

HK_MTBR

taking advantage or exploiting a poorly designed stage to shoot it faster

The one thing I like about this sport is it's time and points, equally scored by all. You did the right thing and if it had been me shooting, please do not screw me out of my well deserved noshoot or penalty. I shot it and I want it!!!

Ditto

Not as a can you top this, but I called my wife for a No-shoot at her first match.

I would expect the same of anyone.

Nope, you win the trophy in my eyes. Is your couch comfortable and has the dog been bathed recently?

I've always felt that if I shot it, I earned it whether its was points or penalties.

+1

+2