Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I hate hippies...

prkprisoner

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many more rebuttals it will take to close this one down.....

**No ecologically-unfriendly molecules were expended to raise this question, although a few electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

I'm positive I lost an electron....

As far as batteries go, my Toyota Camry Hybid's (GASP!) batteries are covered under the extended warranty, and will be replaced when neccessary. As time goes on, better Lithium batteries will become less expensive, and their use in hybrids will increase. Then the batteries will outlast the rest of the car.

The toyota battery packs have been using nickel-metal hydride batteries unless they recently changed over. I wasn't aware anybody was using Lithium-Ion or Lithium polymer (yet) because of the many tchnological problems using them.

I am amazed at the durability Toyota seems to be getting out of their batteries, as they are the same basic technology as the throw away junk put into cell phones and laptops that usually crash after about 12 to 18 months.

BTW: I worked with one of the companies developing Lithium polymer technology for high density battery applications like powering autos. The battery chemistry is such that they are horrifically sensitive to overcharge, overdischarge, and they are time bombs: they have enough energy to get hot and explode if they develop internal shorts. That company stonewalled against the unsolvable tech problems of the chemistry and went bankrupt.

I have my doubts about Li suitability for use in cars, but maybe someday....

Edited by bountyhunter

Given the number of new hybrid vehicles getting turned out over the next few years, and I'd say the law is working - companies are building more hybrids, as demand increases, and are improving the tech everyday.

Actually, hybrid sales are negligible. car makers are putting a "green" image out for PR, but look at what they are producing (and what people are buying) and it's still gas hogs that dominate.

Toyota Reports July Hybrid Car Sales

Written by Sandra Duffy

Aug 01, 2007 at 07:36 PM

Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today reported July sales of 23,123 hybrid vehicles, up 19.0 percent over last July. Toyota Division posted sales of 21,596 hybrids, up 19.0 percent over the same period last year.

Toyota, the leader in hybrids, sold a whopping 23k in a year. With maybe 100 million drivers in the US, that doesn't exactly make much of a splash....

I hate hippies and the hybrids they rode in on!!!!!!

I used to be a hippie.... it was a great way to meet cute girls who never wore underwear or bras......

There will never be times like those again.

As for hybrids: they promise much and deliver little, but are a step in the right direction.

I'm a former hippy too, after I reformed and started bathing and experimenting with sobriety, I found a much better class of cuties out there! Those days are gone for sure! But hell I barely remember them anyway.

Robin B)

Sober women are a lot harder to fool... <_<

Edited by bountyhunter

Hybrids....and just what will we do with the dead batteries from them <_<

Nickel metal hydride batteries don't have the toxic stuff in them that other batteries do (like Nickel cadmium or the standrad lead-acid batteries in ever regular car). Given the life theya re getting out of the battery packs, it looks like the "toxic footprint" of the hybrid batterries will be less than the standard lead acid battery a car eats about every 40k miles.

I am a little to the left of Attila the Hun. But I had a VW Bus. I had longer hair---now I just shave it.

I do not mind the hippies so much as the left wing liberals who think everything Republicans or Conservatives say or do is wrong.

My personal rant.

This whole hippies andd hybrids can be broken down into 2 categories and then we can continue the rant as both are valid. HYbrid cars and the ilk that drive them are under the extreme false impression that they are saving money and the enviroment, when neither is true, but let them continue on as somebody has to piss away money of false enviromental technology. Hippies on the other hand almost exclusively drive subaru's( not the Wrx's though) and vote democrat. I have yet to see one that didnt have some democrat bumpersticker on it. The old days it was Vw's, now its Subaru's. Oh and Bountyhunter, the comment about hippie women is true about not wearing underwear but also remember they also didnt shave(underarem, legs,or anywhere else). I grew up at the edge of that era and still have a sister that cant quite remove herself from it. It is a constant source of humor for me and my wife. Back to hybrids, if the cars batteries are covered under the extended warranty that is fine for you, the owner as long as toyota or honda will cover them but at some point the warranty will end and someone is going to have to come up with the money to buy a new pack, and then the sticker shock will hit. They will be setting on an 8yr old car with 250k on it and a street value of 8k if lucky and then they will find out it is 5k to replace the batts and that will be the end of that vehicle as it is not cost effective to repair it. The trade in value will be negligible as the first thing the dealership will do is check the batt pack and say no thank you or give you $500 to get rid of it.

So let me get this straight, If all the hippies buy hybrids, that dont use Lead batteries, wouldnt that decrease demand increase supply of lead and make more cheaper lead available for bullets ?

I hate Hippies too, some moved in near me, first they called the sheriff "There's people in the woods shooting" ah lady it's deer season that's what people do around here, then every thing they didnt like about the country became a "The County should spray mosquitos, the county should put up lights, the county should should should, LAdy why did you move here carry your happy a$$ back to Rhode Island and hand your hole paycheck to your local government if you want, there moving back now guess country living didnt work out for em.

I hate that we are confusing hippies with hybrids. A hippie is someone that spit at me when I came home on the same plane as troops from Viet Nam. Used to be able to tell hippies by their long hair & now the people with the really long hair are the veterans from Viet Nam rebelling against the government that screwed them.

I WILL never buy a Japanese car because I remember December 7 1941. I don't make enough money to buy a German car so that is a moot point but I remember the thousands of Americans killed getting rid of a regime killing millons of people.

If Iran develops a nuclear device I vote to turn the place into a glass parking lot.

Editted to remove some rants.

Right on and thanks for serving, had I been alive then I would of punched the idiot that spit on you!

I want my magnetic car. "The nation that controls magnetism will control the world." Diet Smith

:cheers: (the beer depicted in these smiles is locally brewed from organically grown hops and barley)

Please remember the person driving the hybrid next to you is your brother, and, don't eat the brown acid.

Peace!

As a final note to those of you who glorify in your F250 gas guzzlers let it be known my F350 Powerstroke 4x4 Crewcab longbed Diesel is not impressed.

To He$$ with a magnetic car, I WANT MY JET PACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to fly over the roads not drive on them!

Oh and I hate hippies and their yugo's too. :cheers:

I want my magnetic car. "The nation that controls magnetism will control the world." Diet Smith

:cheers: (the beer depicted in these smiles is locally brewed from organically grown hops and barley)

Please remember the person driving the hybrid next to you is your brother, and, don't eat the brown acid.

Peace!

As a final note to those of you who glorify in your F250 gas guzzlers let it be known my F350 Powerstroke 4x4 Crewcab longbed Diesel is not impressed.

To He$ with a magnetic car, I WANT MY JET PACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to fly over the roads not drive on them!

Oh and I hate hippies and their yugo's too. :cheers:

Mark,

The magnetic car not only flys over the road, it is capable of space travel. The Jet Pack will burn your ....

Dick Tracy and Diet Smith landed on the moon with a space car in 1964. :cheers:

Another rant. E85. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea if it didn't cost more to make it than it is worth. So how are the ethanol refineries staying in business? You and I are paying for the guvment subsidies through our taxes.

I'd probably burn it but you cannot get it in the tri-state area around Mobile, AL unless you are military or in one case driving a state vehicle.

Another case of the guvments misguided attempts at conservation.

It's got to be a conspiracy. Isn't there an ethanol plant on the grassy knoll with a black helicopter hovering over it?

FWIW

dj

OBTW...Well, I can't say what I want to about hippies :angry2:

dj

E85 lets me say "screw you" to the religeous nutcases over in the middle east that think blowing themselves up along with a busload of kids is an acceptable way to live their short and worthless lives.

That's fun.

I dislike the politics and subsidies and kickbacks and other assorted nonsense that go along with it.

I used to be a hippie.... it was a great way to meet cute girls who never wore underwear or bras......

+10 to that. I was also a hippie too and yep, you are sooooo right about the reasons ;) What the heck was it all about anyway.....? I just can't seem to remember so I guess I musta' really been there LOL

I wonder how many more rebuttals it will take to close this one down.....

**No ecologically-unfriendly molecules were expended to raise this question, although a few electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

I'm positive I lost an electron....

Were you negatively affected by the experience?

E85 lets me say "screw you" to the religeous nutcases over in the middle east that think blowing themselves up along with a busload of kids is an acceptable way to live their short and worthless lives.

That's fun.

I dislike the politics and subsidies and kickbacks and other assorted nonsense that go along with it.

I'd like to burn it if available but alas, it's apparently not to be :angry2:

as for the subsidies, I read an article where one of the ethanol plant managers said it takes about $1.15-$1.25 worth of energy to make a $1.00 worth of ethanol, the balance being made up by subsidies. IMHO, if the subsidies were nixed and the free market was allowed to work, the price of oil and E85 would come down.

In the meantime, I'd pay the extra to be able to thumb my nose at the middle east.

FWIW

dj

edited to stay on topic,

I still don't care to smell someone coming before I see them.

I don't care how long someone's hair is or how ratty their clothes, but soap is cheap...use it

dj

Edited by dajarrel

The only thing we are close to getting to work is biodiesel. As soon as they find the right emzyne to crack the oil loose, anything green will work. From lawn clippings, to saw grass, to algea, to seaweed. Nothing beats photosynthesis for efficiency. They are close now using select plants but we need something to break down the cellouse with better so even corn stalks could be used.

The proposal I liked was using the cooling water from nuclear plants to grow algea to make biodiesel.

Oil companies don't like the idea, because it will end up looking like microbrewing beer industry. No more massive centralized structures.

So cars should get smaller, lighter, and run on little diesel engines that smell like fried chicken.

+10 to that. I was also a hippie too and yep, you are sooooo right about the reasons ;) What the heck was it all about anyway.....? I just can't seem to remember so I guess I musta' really been there LOL

or shaved! :surprise:

That's fun.

I'd like to burn it if available but alas, it's apparently not to be :angry2:

as for the subsidies, I read an article where one of the ethanol plant managers said it takes about $1.15-$1.25 worth of energy to make a $1.00 worth of ethanol, the balance being made up by subsidies. IMHO, if the subsidies were nixed and the free market was allowed to work, the price of oil and E85 would come down.

In the meantime, I'd pay the extra to be able to thumb my nose at the middle east.

FWIW

dj

edited to stay on topic,

I still don't care to smell someone coming before I see them.

I don't care how long someone's hair is or how ratty their clothes, but soap is cheap...use it

dj

downside ethanol is 30% less effective that real gas.

Edited by lynn jones