Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

Heh, Nemo.... hardly seems fair does it. When we bought our house back in '96, we had a deal:

INSIDE the house (except garage), she pretty much had the say... She got all the Master closets and cabinet space except for 1 small, bottom drawer by the sink. I kept all my stuff in the "Office" bedroom. (I kinda liked that part).

OUTSIDE the house and in the garage, I was SUPPOSED to pretty much have the say. Well, before you know it, they start spreading out... First, it was the new car that HAD to be parked in the garage... So, my auto projects HAD to be finished/moved out EVERY night.

Then she a te half my storage cabinet with her Griot's crap to CLEAN the new car. Then she slowly ate half my Gorilla Rack shelf space with.... well... CRAP she couldn't cram into any other crevice INSIDE the house.

Blah, Blah, yadda, yadda... next thing you know, you don't "own" the garage either... and you're stuck in some "little corner".

I "cut a door in the corner" and hauled tail to Texas... Gave her the whole house free and clear. Hope she drowns in crap.... Nah, not really... but kinda... ;)

This time (3rd time's the charm right), the Shop, Garage, AND house will be mine. :)

Sorry, to drift... but to make this more "on topic"... Nemo, you are doing a fine job with the space you have. I seriously dig that cap organizer. Where'd you get it?

Edited by cautery

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I "cut a door in the corner" and hauled tail to Texas...  Gave her the whole house free and clear.  Hope she drowns in crap.... Nah, not really... but kinda...  ;)

This time (3rd time's the charm right), the Shop, Garage, AND house will be mine.  :)

Sorry, to drift...  but to make this more "on topic"...  Nemo, you are doing a fine job with the space you have.  I seriously dig that cap organizer.  Where'd you get it?

Cautery,

I'm really glad I haven't got to those terms with the Mrs. It would be way too expensive! ;)

The cap organizer... I don't know where the owner of my house got it for me. But I remember why she got it, when she got tired of having all our hats (mine and our two sons) falling out of the laundry room shelf every time she closed the door. :lol:

Siggy, your closet should be fine if you have other places to store all the associated stuff, and remember I load for 3. Still a SDB loader? Any upgrade in the future?

Cheers!

Yes, still have the little SDB press. Just finished reloading a few a minute ago, as a matter of fact. Actually I have lots of storage space both above and below the bench surface to store stock and accessories so it's not really a bad space. The only thing that's NOT stored under the bench (too heavy, too awkward) are boxes of bullet stock. The SiG Lady's invisible closet reloading station is actually really, really functional and convenient. B)

No need for an upgrade that I can see. And a 650 really WOULD put a strain on the available space! :lol:

Thread statistics update: 56,979 viewings and 403 posts. God.

• 2 weeks later...

my setup at the old apartment, still this messy but without the ugly non matching drawers (from my old desk/bench). We've just bought a new house and I am doing the whole "gun room" thing and I am trying to decide to rip apart the bench and use what I can and have it built in, or to leave as is. there is also a vault that will be built into the new room, as it has a fully cement enclosed (on 3 sides) alcove that is just perfect for a vault. I got a nice vault door from an old city building ($150), now I just need someone to mount it for me. And someone to help design the room.

slavexbench001.jpg

slavexbench002.jpg

slavexbench003.jpg

slavexbench004.jpg

slavexbench005.jpg

the top is made from 1 1/4 paper lined plywood. This wood is designed for semi trailer decking and is very dense and very hard. I also have 3 or 4 sheets of regular 1 1/4 plywood that I might use for bench top in the new place. The above bench top is also hinged from underneath with hidden hinges, so I have extra storage underneath everything. Sounds cool right? never use it, as it dumps stuff everywhere when I open the tops up (they are 4 seperate panels). I also have access to some aluminum and steel plate, full 4x8ft sheets that I might use for bench tops, not sure yet. My new room is pretty big and has a nice alcove, all framed in cement on 3 sides that is 4.5 ft wide. I just picked up an old vault door for $150 and that will be mounted in the entrance to the alcove, to make my own vault. Still trying to decide what I want to do looks wise for the room.

Oh and the above bench has 2 aluminum mounting plates I made up, countersunk into 2 of the panels, they are copies of the one RCBS mounting plate my Pro 2000 sits on. The only RCBS Pro 2000 I've seen in all these photo's.

Edited by slavex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wanted to say thanks to all who posted with pictures and ideas for reloading benches. A few weeks ago, I set out to build a new bench for myself, and my research brought me to this thread. Just finished my new bench a few days ago:

FinishedBench2.JPG

More info on the construction details here:

My Reloading Bench Project

Great group of contributors in this forum. I enjoyed reading everyones comments. Thanks again everyone!

Edited by rbstern

Dang, he beat me to it!!! Well, (at the time of this writing) the viewings-count on this record-breaking, mind-blowing forum topic was 63,585...!! :blink::blink:

Although this entire forum is bursting with tons of vital information, this particular topic has been awfully revealing. (Well, maybe second only to the two topics, "Women/Men We'd Like to Do..." But that's different.) :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas to you, too, dajarrel...! ;)

Here is a photo from when I lived in my apartment a few years ago. Talk about a Ghetto setup:

reloadingbench-4.jpg

Here is my new Setup in my basement:

Dillon 650 w/casefeeder.

I bought a Gorilla Rack bench from Home Depot which is extremely sturdy has a light underneath, a top shelf, 2 drawers, and plenty of storage under the main bench. I used sticky tile on top of the bench in case I spill anything it won't get soaked up in the wood.

reloading023.jpg

reloading002.jpg

reloading024.jpg

reloading007.jpg

Edited by PistolPete