Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new here and have been reading until I think my eyes are bleeding! :o  So much to read and so little time. :blink:  Thought I show my gun room off. The first picture is of my Browning safe door from the outside of my room. The rest are inside the room. It is 12'x26' and has 4 inches of concrete on top of the room. There is heat ducts and a cold air return that have fire dampers on them. There is a drain in the floor that I have a dehumidifer draining into during the summer. So far no moisture problems. :D

Steve

http://www2.wcoil.com/~buckrun/Pictures/Clean.jpg

DANG! Now that is one setup I'd love to have. Let me know if you sell your house... ;)

ETA: How do you support the ceiling while they pour the concrete on top??

The contractor put barn siding in for the celing in the room. Then he built walls that ran the length of the room and about 16 inches apart. They held it up until the concrete cured. We put light boxes in the siding and little stubs of conduit sticking up. I ran the wiring before we framed the rest of the addition because it is only about 4 inches between the floor joists and the concrete. I was happy when I got everything wired up and flipped the lights on and they all came on! :D I would have been a little to thick in the middle to crawl around in 4" to fix the problem.

Steve

I've decided to put my two cents in for ideas too. This started out as your typical old wooden office desk. It's 30 inches deep by 5 feet wide. I had my father-in-law make the 1 foot deep shelves to certain sizes for different supplies I was storing.

OriginalReloadingDesk.th.jpg

After 20 years and moving to a different home I finally have it set up so I can use it to it's full potential.

mvc007f5xf.th.jpg

If I need a space for cleaning guns or just a small work space I pull out one of the leafs above the drawers.

• 2 weeks later...
get2now,

How about those primer tube holders?

2 3/8 OD ABS plastic pipe 5 1/2 inches long with a plastic plug glued on the end. Attached with a large hose clamp.

That way I can load up a bunch of tubes with the RF 100 and then just start loading up rounds.

get2now,

How about those primer tube holders?

2 3/8 OD ABS plastic pipe 5 1/2 inches long with a plastic plug glued on the end. Attached with a large hose clamp.

That way I can load up a bunch of tubes with the RF 100 and then just start loading up rounds.

Hey guys, what am I missing in the pic? Where are these Primer Tube holders? :blink:

Precision40 has a similar tube setup that is easier to make out in the picture provided above.

I realize the gallery here is about pictures, but I know as someone new to metallic reloading that some comments/descriptions about the "amenities" and layout ideas of a bench would be a great help. I have set up my loader, but am struggling a bit with whether to go with open shelves, cabinets, akro bins, pegboard, etc.

Any insight is much appreciated!

Smiley

Precision40 has a similar tube setup that is easier to make out in the picture provided above.

I realize the gallery here is about pictures, but I know as someone new to metallic reloading that some comments/descriptions about the "amenities" and layout ideas of a bench would be a great help. I have set up my loader, but am struggling a bit with whether to go with open shelves, cabinets, akro bins, pegboard, etc.

Any insight is much appreciated!

Smiley

Looking at most of the pictures you'll see there's a mixture of storage types. My desk has the drawers and they're great for just throwing small stuff in them but for storage I like shelves and akrobins. The akrobins are stacked on the shelves and I can see what's in all of them. I like the pegboard idea but with all the shelves on the back of my desk I don't have space for it. As usual you should estimate what you'll need then add a bunch more for the future.

Good luck.

Moderator Note: The width of the inline image exceeded the 500 pixel limit (at 72 dpi) set by the owner of the forums, so it was changed to a link. Feel free to edit your post to include an inline image, only after you scale it to 500 pixels wide.

Member just requested that the above photo be removed entirely... He'll be re-posting with the smaller one, I believe.

--SiG Lady

4:38pm (PST)

Edited by SiG Lady

Buckrun is definitely the winner... < <_< green with envy <_< >

I think I'm the only soul in the world left without a digital camera. But I've taken some pics of my bench's transformation with my phone.

WARNING: VERY BAD RESOLUTION!!

My bench started life as a Home Depot prefab work bench on which I had my first machine. My trusty SDB.

before1ok.jpg

Upgraded the bench with a homemade hutch for cubic storage space...

hutchupgrade2nd.jpg

Then got a deal for a 650 and had to sell the SDB. The hutch interfered with the installation of the casefeed so it was modified to accomodate it. This was done the day before yesterday.

after1ul.jpg

Last night loaded the first 500 rounds in my new setup. SWEET!!

Still envy Buckrun's bunker! ;):P

You know the cost of the room wasn’t that much different than the cost of 2 good large fireproof safes. It was the rest of the construction that almost broke the bank! If you are going to add on to your home and wanted to add a basement to the project anyway. You might want to check into doing this.

I also know a couple guys that built new houses and had the space under their front porch made into a gun vault. That is an excuse to make a very large front porch! It is just a little harder to control the moisture in this case. But I would think it would make it a little better as a fire proof room.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a neat freak obviously. The fluorescent light is just a rewired unit from a drop ceiling that someone was throwing away at an office complex, makes loading alot easier because I can see what I'm doing. Public domain rules. You can also see my detent ball retrieval tool hanging from the light.

650setup.jpg