Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NCUrk

Isn't that John Wayne in the picture next to your press?  Do you know what movie it's from?  In case you couldn't tell from my avatar I like John Wayne.

I just always assumed that if you owned a gun you were a Duke fan!!!!!

And the movie would be an all time classic.... Hondo. (our were you just testing me? :blink: )

Nice bench NCUrk.

I'm gonna build me one, even though I have limited room.

It's gotta be about 4 ft wide and 15 inches deep. Not sure of height yet but I'm liking the idea of using cabinets for stands!!

I actually built it off the wall and added the cabinets afterwords... They are not load bearing. It was easier ( for me anyways) to level everything off the wall then the cabinets. Height wise I wanted to be able to stand up and reload.... just a personal prefrence. I looked alot at all the pics on this thread to give me ideas for my own... And now I crank out a couple hundred a day. Not alot but enough not to worry about running low at the range. I go about once a week and am buying my membership this Friday. Cheaper in the long run... :ph34r:

Ok, whats the best surface to use for the bench? I know, and hate the fact I dont have room for it, that reg countertops work great! I have a 7" bench left at parents house . Am just now trying to get another bench for our house here. I have 2 cabinets I plan on using, but need a counter top. My 7 footer was made for me buy a friend of mine back then, may check local cabinet shops to see if maybe they have any short pieces I could buy. Only going to be maybe 5' long, IF I can clean out enough space in this room.

Thanks for the help!

;)

OK, I'm officially "done moving" now, because I have my loading bench up and running.

In a masterstroke of negotiating prowess, I managed to carve out *half* of the garage at the new house for "my hobbies". So... I *finally* built a workbench with enough space to work on things like rifles...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/b_g_gary/det...5df.jpg&.src=ph

Workbench is 3/4" ply on 2.6 legs, lagged to garage-wall studs. If an earthquake starts to rattle the place, I'm heading under the workbench ;-)

...and have my 650 set up at the other end.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/b_g_gary/det...e18.jpg&.src=ph

Haven't fully unpacked and organized things, but... this goes a long way towards making it feel like "home"

Bruce

OK, I'm officially "done moving" now, because I have my loading bench up and running.

In a masterstroke of negotiating prowess, I managed to carve out *half* of the garage at the new house for "my hobbies".  So... I *finally* built a workbench with enough space to work on things like rifles...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/b_g_gary/det...5df.jpg&.src=ph

Workbench is 3/4" ply on 2.6 legs, lagged to garage-wall studs.  If an earthquake starts to rattle the place, I'm heading under the workbench ;-)

...and have my 650 set up at the other end.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/b_g_gary/det...e18.jpg&.src=ph

Haven't fully unpacked and organized things, but... this goes a long way towards making it feel like "home"

Bruce

Very squared away - nice job

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well finally got my bench set up at the new house. Made a few modifications, and combined a few things. I like the way it turned out. Maybe tomorrow I will get my bullets, primers, and other things moved in, but I thought I would post a pic while it still looked clean and neat.

post-3777-1126324111_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As this thread served as an inspiration for me to build a new bench, I thought it only right I post a pic of the 99% completed bench here.

16845benchforweb.jpg

I actually did most of the work over at a friends a few months back, but have been waiting to clear a space in a spare bedroom.

The bench top is 3" thick in total. the top itself is off an old office desk and I have reinforced that with some 2" x 6" underneath. Size wise, its 66" x 24" which is quite a bit bigger than I had before.

The two draw units its sits on are also old office items and I have raised these on plynths so the bench top is 36" high. In the cubby between the draw units, I have added a couple of shelves which also add extra bracing/strength to the whole bench. These need staining and a coat of polyurethene (sp?) before the bench is complete.

At the moment I only have my rockchucker permanently mounted; I think I will put my other press and powder measure on wooden plynths so they can be moved around..

Regards,

Pete

I just wanted to show you guys what some red looks like. Two 20 year old Lee's. Always thought I might buy a Dillon when I wore these out. The one on the right is my 9mm-40 press about 100K rounds loaded. The 45 press only has 50K on it. There not worn out yet. The bench is a Shure Auto bench that I've had for 30 years. Still good as new. I promis I'll buy a Dillon when I wear these out.

Mike in OKC

DSC_0070.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

:( Holy cow!! Re-looking at this thread makes me so envious because those of you that get a WHOLE ROOM for reloading... <_<

I pay 100% of my mortgage but only get a corner of the garage! :angry:

Actually just wanted to show the new addition to my bench: a dedicated 45acp Dillon 550! :) SWEET!

Edited for being language impaired

post-2776-1129216772_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nemo