Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that Kath and Co are building their own version of the custom gun room. Most of us beg/borrow/steal and then convert other space, but SG and Dave will have their own version of the temple. Neat!

Kath - are you going to do something like Dan Ruff did and run rebar through those studs before the sheetrock goes up? A good door and you'll have something close to a walk in vault.

Kevin

I like that Kath and Co are building their own version of the custom gun room. Most of us beg/borrow/steal and then convert other space, but SG and Dave will have their own version of the temple. Neat!

Kath - are you going to do something like Dan Ruff did and run rebar through those studs before the sheetrock goes up? A good door and you'll have something close to a walk in vault.

Kevin

Hi Kevin! We are not going to fortify the walls... we have to keep resale value in the back of our brains - IF we leave this house, then we'll need to sell that space as a bedroom.

Megan was worried about changing her wedding date - I just laughed at her. Y'all shoulda seen our list of "must haves" in the house we bought here. Not only was location on the top of the list (as in proximity to ranges), but so was an unfinished basement that we could build with a full walk out and easy access to the street. My poor agent had no idea why we were so set on that ;)

We have big plans for the rest of the basement too... eventually it will have a home theater, bar and full bathroom along with a HUGE party room!

We are not going to fortify the walls... we have to keep resale value in the back of our brains - IF we leave this house, then we'll need to sell that space as a bedroom.

Y'all shoulda seen our list of "must haves" in the house we bought here. Not only was location on the top of the list (as in proximity to ranges), but so was an unfinished basement that we could build with a full walk out and easy access to the street. My poor agent had no idea why we were so set on that ;)

We have big plans for the rest of the basement too... eventually it will have a home theater, bar and full bathroom along with a HUGE party room!

It's good to hear you've got your priorities in order........ :P:P:P

As far as reinforcing the reloading room --- think about the appeal of a panic or safe room?

Hi Kevin! We are not going to fortify the walls... we have to keep resale value in the back of our brains - IF we leave this house, then we'll need to sell that space as a bedroom.

ha! i give you 2 years, then its off to Israel. :ph34r::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

wow 443 posts.. this is amazing, I will post some pics of my NEW reloading bench and accessories here in the near future.

hey quicksdraw nice bench. what did you use for the padding in the rifle knotch... only other person i've seen mindful enough to build a rifle rack INTO the bench!!!!

PARTY AT KATHS!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

bench.jpg

Nothing pretty, but it's effective, and the total cost was under $20. I like it because it's an example of how someone with minimal carpentry skills can still create a solid foundation for a press.

I bought a used desk at a state surplus store for $5, covered it with a sheet of heavy plywood, and screwed the back-edge to a 2x4 screwed into the wall-studs. I bought a nice piece of hardwood for an edge treatment, and to provide a lip for runaway primers, or spilled cleaning fluid. While at the hardware store, I also picked up a small piece of pegboard.

At some point, I'll stain or paint the top and sides, but too busy reloading.

This bench is very solid once screwed into the wall, and most of the time I have about 80-100lbs in cartridges or components on the top, as well.

Hmm... that wall pegboard would be a nice solution to my small closet setup. Would get a couple more things up off the bench and into the air--outa the way. Cool. Thanks for reminding me. I've got some things nailed to the wall at the moment, but the pegboard would allow for much better use of the wall space and be able to move stuff around without pounding new holes in the sheetrock..... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Well....I just found this string of Reloading Benches and must confess, that I had to share my photos also after sifting through 18 pages of photos. It is interesting that although many things are different, many are very similar. The bench at the far end of my shop was just finished a couple of weeks ago. Found the blueprints/plans and a materials list on the web, went to Lowe's and got the lumber and they even cut all the pieces to size for me at no charge. Total cost was about $90 with screws, nuts, bolts and all.post-4427-1139167288_thumb.jpg