Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Season times?

burntcrispy

I've only been shooting IPSC for a few months and just realized that several clubs in my area don't have matches for a few months during the winter. Is there a standardized season or is it club dependant?

Thanks.

Our club only has matches from March until October. We have many hunters so October until January is about being in the woods. Feburary is just too d@mn cold!

That will be climate dependant. In california we shoot club matches outside year round.

True ...... FL, LA, TX, AZ, CA all seem to be the meca of shooting because they can shoot year round. Here in the great Midwest we stop shooting around November (give or take depending on weather) Except for the clubs with indoor ranges, and even then it can be like shooting in a meat locker.

That will be climate dependant. In california we shoot club matches outside year round.

True ...... FL, LA, TX, AZ, CA all seem to be the meca of shooting because they can shoot year round. Here in the great Midwest we stop shooting around November (give or take depending on weather) Except for the clubs with indoor ranges, and even then it can be like shooting in a meat locker.

yeah, you see everybody huddled around the heater trying to thaw out there hands!!! I would have rather shot outside lol.

Glad this topic came up. Being recently exiled from CO to MD, I find myself having to deal with 'seasonal' shooting now. I really liked shooting all year long.

Now I have to figure out what to do with four months of my year. This isn't helping my journey to my M card. <_<

We shoot year round also.. 24 USPSA club matches scheduled, occasional other matches (long gun, IDPA, Steel, and rimfire) thrown in, and then usually 2 or 3 majors and the GSSF match usually in late august. Out of the 52 weeks, we probably have something going on at least 46 of those sundays. We also have practice with on duty RO's every Sat except for major events. We are a busy club.

You guys are sissys :lol: We are pretty tough up in Wisconsin. We shoot year round, the only month we don't shoot is November. That is deer hunting in WI and the whole state pretty much shuts down for that. I can honestly say we don't cancel many matches in the winter. We have had to plow the ranges out before matches but we still shoot. If it is real icey we do alot of stand and shoot type stuff, not alot of movement. We have worse weather in March and April alot of times compared to Dec and Jan.

Tom

We do have a season in Georgia -- it start in early March and runs through the end of February.

HA!

And let me guess, at the end of the season it might get a balmy 50 degrees forcing you all to wear long sleeve t-shirts?

:cheers:

Edited by maineshootah

Glad this topic came up. Being recently exiled from CO to MD, I find myself having to deal with 'seasonal' shooting now. I really liked shooting all year long.

Now I have to figure out what to do with four months of my year. This isn't helping my journey to my M card. <_<

Drive to NJ --- we shoot year round. Do shoot us an e-mail though --- if range conditions are unsafe for movement, we'll call it, but we typically make that decision the night before........

Here in Mobile, just about the only thing that keeps us from shooting on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays are tropical storms/hurricanes. We shoot during the winter months despite the fact that we have several deer hunters (myself included) that may miss a match or two.

And in response to maineshootah's observant remark about our cold (or lack of it) weather. YOU'RE RIGHT. We usually see 20-30's for the lows Dec-Feb but we will also see 70-80's for the high.....In the same day. :surprise: Truly teaches you to dress in layers.

burntcrispy, you didn't say what part of the country you are from but if you find yourself in the Mobile area, feel free to call one of us and come and shoot. Our web sight is mpsa.us and although woefully out of date, it does have up to date contact numbers for the club.

FWIW

dj

Old Bridge shoots 11 months. We don't shoot in December since our schedule coincides with Christmas week. CJ shoots 12 months.

We have set-up and run matches from -5 degrees to over 100, Rain, Snow, Wind. Just so long as we can figure out a safe COF for the conditions we shoot. Hey, this is supposed to be "Practical" shooting. You can't pick your weather.

Jim

Edited by Jim Norman

At Green Mountain Practical Shooters, in Northern Vermont, it is pretty much every month of the year, never in April (mud season- can't get down the driveway). Several memorable February matches with 3+ feet of snow and really cold temps. Guys will shovel out pathways and lots of folks wear crampons on the boots! Great fun :D

Yep MD has the season of ending NOV and starting back up in March

We have lost the nice indoor range that used to have great matches, hopefully its a temporary thing. Any body from Shooter's Paradise chime in how that is coming

We also have the NRA range that used to have nice matches though not affiliated directly with USPSA