Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Shooters - What PF do you shoot

Jack Suber

Question for Production shooters here - do most of you run your PF at 130? Higher? My ammo is running 130 and I am not sure I am comfortable with that for a major match - i.e. the Nationals. I am running a Clays load so I am not sure I want to bump it up much more. The 130 has been perfect for my son but it doesn't offer much comfort. I am just looking for soime feedback. Thanks.

This should be a poll:

125-130

131-135

136-140

etc....

ZHunter. Good idea. Here goes.

One thing that I find myself not taking into account is that a lot of the "Production" loads I have tried are developed for 5" barrels. The M&P is a 4" (I think) so copying loads doesn't necessarily mean I will be OK PF-wise. My current load (9mm - 3.5 grns of Clays with a 135 Grn Zero FMJ) is not showing any pressure signs at all, but it is heavier than any loads recommended. This is a sweet load and my son is really comfortable with it. I hate to play with it before the Nationals. But, I am still worried about only a 130 PF.

I was talking with an RO at Nationals, I believe he said often poppers are calibrated with Winchest White Box. I thought he said WW is about 135 PF.

My buddy hit 127pf on the chono last year at the VAMD Section match using WWB. I had fun calling HIS loads "gamers" after putting up w/ him making fun of my 131pf 147 gr loads...... WWB can be all over the place.

Edited by rvb

you need to pick caliber too...

At least the 2 most common:

40S&W vs 9MM

40 I had been running about 140 -145, but I just did a load with Clays that runs nicely just above 130, and doesn't leave all the soot behind like TG does.

9MM - about 130

9mm/132 pf is what spits from my G34

That's what I get also from my G34. I'm using 4.0 gr TiteGroup with a 124gr Zero FMJ. With this load I will also make minor if I have to switch to my backup gun with is a G17.

-Cuz.

For those who run 125 to 130pf, please read Appendix C1, item 2 of the 01-2004 rulebook. One of our up and coming Production shooters used to run at 128pf with some real consistent ammo and got dinged more than once due to some borderline poppers. A low in the calibration zone hit from the shooter and it would stand. A high in the calibration hit with 130pf ammo by the calibration officer and it would fall. He quit running his ammo that low and bumped it up to 135pf. End of problems.

My load. 180gr JRN. 3.0 Clays. 134pf. Springer XD-40 Tact. For 180gr lead or moly its 2.6 Clays for the same 134pf.

I'm about to chrono some loads with N310 and a couple different jacketed bullets to see if I can tighten the groups a bit. 3.5" at 50' isn't good enough.

Edited by Hank Ellis

Atlanta Arms Black box 147 grain match comes in at 132/133 out of my G34 and 128/129 in my G17. I did chrono it one time at about 40 degrees and got 127 out of my 34. Danny did have a large run that came out under powered a short time ago and it would only make 125/126 out of a G34 but its fixed now. They set all of their 9mm production ammo up to make about 128 in a G17.

I personally like the responsiveness and tracking of at least 132 for my 9mm. Anything less feels too sluggish and tracks poorly.