Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your club's / range's policy towards drinking alcohol

Yeah, just like the title and description says.

Now, let's say a club required all it's members to also be members of the NRA, I presume for the purpose of getting (liability?) insurance through the NRA. Does anyone know what the NRA's (insurance company's) stance is on alcohol or drinking on club grounds?

Thanks!

Edited by Chills1994

The only range I've ever seen alcohol available on was the club I belonged to in Frankfurt, Germany. They had a beer machine there - put in a mark, get a half-liter bottle of brew. Of course, it was the police club range. ;)

Per our clubs by-laws drinking is allowed but once you start you are finished shooting for the day. I have tried to get this changed at our last by-laws meeting to no a vale. Thankfully we have never had any problems to date with this but I would rather stop it by changing the by-laws now than to have to change them after an incident of some kind.

But this is a good question I need to look in to, for our by-laws also state all members must be current NRA members. I will have our secatary get with our insurance provider and see how they respond.

The only range I've ever seen alcohol available on was the club I belonged to in Frankfurt, Germany. They had a beer machine there - put in a mark, get a half-liter bottle of brew. Of course, it was the police club range. ;)

The first range I ran across that sold alcohol was the Ft. Bliss Rod and Gun Club in El Paso, Tx. They had a pro shop and Bar n Grill.

Booze and guns . . . bad combination.

I drink. I shoot. I don't drink and shoot.

Never been to a club that allowed drinking on the grounds (that I was aware of).

J

Our club has a liquor permit to sell beer only. No drinking before you use the rifle range or pistol bays. Trap is another story. Beer is considered aiming fluid for the trap guys. We don't limit the amount of beer you can have while shooting trap and it has never been an issue at our club. Common sense prevails. If you have had to many, don't shoot. Remember this is Wisconsin, most, if not all of the gun clubs around here sell beer.

Tom

None. Ever.

The problem with "drinking after shooting" is that in the public eye, they don't really know who is done and who is not..... they don't understand the cold range idea.... "hey there's guys with guns drinking over there!"

Tempting, to have after match social beers at the "clubhouse", but its not worth the potential hazards, of both perception, PR related, and real. Pack your range bags, and go down the street to the nearest pub/bar/restaraunt/buddies house.

We have enough issues with our public image without borrowing from that whole "redneck hunter in the woods all day drinking a case of beer" stereotype.

My club policy is no alcohol or anything else :surprise: , before, during, or after while on the club property. I am not positive but even when they have a cookout or family day and we start the eating which ends the shooting, the only thing served is sodas and iced tea. I also believe that it is a club policy that if you are caught drinking on the range you will be barred from ever returning, including all open to the public events held there (ipsc,cowboy,bullseye....) forever.

Our club allows drinking after shooting or instead of shooting, but doesn't sell it and supposedly doesn't allow it outside of the clubhouse. They use to provide it at our year-end member meeting until a couple of years ago.

One of our outlaw clubs has a cook-out where drinking "can" begin at 0600 and last until 0200 or so that night. Anyone drinking is not allowed on the ranges. This does somewhat conflict with the "clubhouse only" rule so I guess we were exempted. Of course that rule was made when our BOD barely comprehended there were members who existed off the shotgun fields (next to the clubhouse).

One club here has a full bar on the grounds.. no in in there seems to ever seems to shoot though..

Another club has bottled beer, one beer, you're done.

Our club also has a Full Bar in our Clubhouse.

No Booze outside the Clubhouse and no Drinking until Match is over.

We have never had a problem.

pat

One of our outlaw clubs has a cook-out where drinking "can" begin at 0600 and last until 0200 or so that night. Anyone drinking is not allowed on the ranges. This does somewhat conflict with the "clubhouse only" rule so I guess we were exempted. Of course that rule was made when our BOD barely comprehended there were members who existed off the shotgun fields (next to the clubhouse).

So you can drink from 6 in the morning to 2 in the morning?

The clubs that I shoot with doesn't allow any drugs/alcohol on the property (that I know about, never seen it on the properties). If they did allow it, I wouldn't visit there anymore. Seen too many reports about drinking & accidental shootings.

Our club also has a Full Bar in our Clubhouse.

No Booze outside the Clubhouse and no Drinking until Match is over.

We have never had a problem.

pat

And a fine club it is, Pat B) After the match is over, and all guns are put away safely, an ice cold beer does do the trick. As a whole, folks shooting IPSC are VERY responsible, and reviewing scores over a cold one or two (not a dozen!) is okay in my book. I had my doubts at first about the wisdom of this, but we are all adults, and very responsible ones at that. If I can't be trusted to know when to stop , then maybe I'm not able to be trusted to own a firearm either.

I need to go back and check our bylaws, but I think when I went thru new member orientation years ago, the stated policy was that as long as the shooting was done, the guns were cased and in your car, you could sit outside the clubhouse and drink a few beers. We don't have a bar or sell alcohol, and to be quite honest, I do not ever remember seeing anyone drinking there.

I DO have to check out the bylaws however as Shooter Grrl and I did have, ummmm..... let's just say, an 'idea'... :huh:

The home club says no to any on the property. Having said that if a club member was riding the tractor mowing I cant see the problem with staying cool and refreshed but no shooting.

Went to a IDPA state match in Ill at the Devils hole and after the shooting was done and the crowd was waiting for scores beer started to apear. I bummed one and my traveling companions were looking to mug me.

I dont see a problem with one or two AFTER a match.

With our family shooting pistol and sporting clays we get to see a lot of ranges. Almost all of the clay ranges allow drinking after you shoot or even have a nice bar. The NRA national shooting complex in San Antonio has a nice bar!

The local trap club is very liberal in that some of the older shooters need a beer to calm the shakes before they can shoot. The skeet club is more conservative and shooters only have a beer after they are done shooting. However for league nights all bets are off, the beer & booze flows freely but the club doesn't have a liqueur license so it is not selling anything.

Two other clubs I belong to are different in that one says no alcohol on the range and the other is no alcohol while shooting is going on but who knows what is happening in the motorhomes.

The local trap club is very liberal in that some of the older shooters need a beer to calm the shakes before they can shoot. The skeet club is more conservative and shooters only have a beer after they are done shooting. However for league nights all bets are off, the beer & booze flows freely but the club doesn't have a liqueur license so it is not selling anything.

Two other clubs I belong to are different in that one says no alcohol on the range and the other is no alcohol while shooting is going on but who knows what is happening in the motorhomes.

have a bud who I shoot clays with....if he drinks 3 beers B4 a match, he is in the top 3...if he drinks nothing, or more than 3 even I can beat him....