Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA election

Jaxshooter

Got mine last week, Ryans came in 3 days later. Still have not seen Austins yet. All at the same address.

I am surprised there is no provision for lost ballots. That may be a little antiquated.

We were having mail all mixed up with my neighbors , when I asked the post man about it he said the USPS had just implemented some new automated sorting machines.

Me too, that is something we should bring up to the board after this election. If the ballots are serial numbered, they should be easy to track and if lost, replaced.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Me too, that is something we should bring up to the board after this election. If the ballots are serial numbered, they should be easy to track and if lost, replaced.

This is easier said that done.

A key requirement of the USPSA election is that it be conducted by an independent CPA firm. If we get into "tracking by serial number", the amount of labor incurred by the CPA firm increases considerably - as they would have to maintain a database of ballots cast to either refuse the replacement if the original was submitted first, or to count the last identically serial numbered ballot to arrive. This could be done, but it costs money - my guess is that it would add thousands to the cost of the election.

First Class mail rarely gets lost if properly addressed - what we're really talking about here is spending thousands each election to cover "bad addresses", and the literally one in several thousand chance of a legitimately lost piece of mail.

Another option is to change the bylaw allow an independent election firm that is not a CPA firm to conduct the election. There are reputable companies that specialize in this, and that provide services like "mail, 800 or internet voting with provisions for lost ballots". Once again, we get to money issue :). I spoke to one of these election firms at length and the salesman was calling me regularly. I obtained figures from Dave Thomas (# of ballots, mailing cost, CPA fee, etc.) and send the election firm a detailed letter saying I was interested in presenting their proposal to the board if they could do it for out current cost, but any bid that was substantially higher was not something that I would recommend the USPSA Board pursue. I never heard from their salesman again - it was like being put on their own do not call list.

It's not that USPSA is not willing to spend money - We could run the election for thousands less by not using a CPA firm - but good business practice requires an independently verifiable process, not a "trust me" approach.

Would it not be possible to vote online, using your USPSA # to make sure there were not duplicate votes? This could be run by an independent firm and the postage issue would not be an issue, EVERYONE would have the opportunity to vote and it would be quicker and more efficient.

I know nothing about the logistics of this suggestion, just that is seems viable.

Would it not be possible to vote online, using your USPSA # to make sure there were not duplicate votes? This could be run by an independent firm and the postage issue would not be an issue, EVERYONE would have the opportunity to vote and it would be quicker and more efficient.

I know nothing about the logistics of this suggestion, just that is seems viable.

I have already investigated this. The reaction of the vendor was to discontinue talks with me (as USPSA's technology representative) once I told them it had to be done at a price point similar to what we are now paying.

Postage *would* be an issue since the independence of an election would dictate that they mail an access code directly to every eligible to vote member.

I have already investigated this. The reaction of the vendor was to discontinue talks with me (as USPSA's technology representative) once I told them it had to be done at a price point similar to what we are now paying.

Postage *would* be an issue since the independence of an election would dictate that they mail an access code directly to every eligible to vote member.

Being we would be voting online, couldn't the access codes be e-mailed?

We would then have to confirm each one arrived, and deal with bad addresses and misdirected emails - and hire someone else to take care of all this as doing it in-house would violate the independence the process requires.

What if a system were set up in which each member knew that the voting was to be done online. Then it is there responsibility to go to the USPSA website and register for the election (verify their data, email address, etc.). At that point, after membership is validated, a voting "pin" emailed back to the member. The member could then go to an online system to vote. I think it can be done. The problem would be auditing the votes. I think it could be done by an independent firm.

>>A key requirement of the USPSA election is that it be conducted by an independent CPA firm.<<

A key requirement should be hiring a CPA firm that does what it is supposed to.

The current one has not.

How do you know that the current firm has not done what it is supposed to? That question sounds aggressive --- but isn't meant that way, I'm genuinely curious......

I received mine on Saturday and it is filled out, placed in the return envelope, awaiting a stamp and dropping in the post office outgoing mailbox.

Also, there wasn't a postmark date on mine as well. :ph34r: I think that is a sneaky way around from proving that they didn't mail before deadline.

Edited by GlockSpeed31

>>A key requirement of the USPSA election is that it be conducted by an independent CPA firm.<<

A key requirement should be hiring a CPA firm that does what it is supposed to.

The current one has not.

How do you know that the current firm has not done what it is supposed to? That question sounds aggressive --- but isn't meant that way, I'm genuinely curious......

Because the USPSA by laws state that all ballots are to mailed first class BY AUGUST FIRST.

And, obviously, the deadline was not met.

This so called CPA firm has created a lot more headache for themselves.

They printed each ballot with a unique number so it would not have taken very much more to have a barcode on each box that was tied to election year, unique ballot number and a candidate number.

Another thing that comes to mind is dot matrix and carbon copies (like the rebate checks always used to come) and a break-away envelope style like Netflix uses.

Take the amount of time saved by tally off from the price of the election cost...and less time so they do actually get the ballots sent out on time.

Edited by ampleworks