Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did Dillon Change Management?

everytime i buy a dillon press usually USED i always send it back to dillon to make sure everything is in tip top condition.. i had 2 1050's before and before loading up some ammo i always send it to them and they dont charge me a penny.all i had to do is ship it to them and they make sure the press is safe to use and they even clean up the press for me..well after a 2 year rest from IPSC i decided to buy another RL1050 ..i tried calling a while ago and they told me that there is a $120 inspection fee?? plus parts ....when did dillon charge for this?? one of the reasons i always considered dillon is because of the great service they provided for their customers...what happenend?

<_< The 1050 is not covered by the normal warantie that the 650 and down is coverd by.

The 1050 is sometimes used as a comercial tool and could get conected to a hydro unit that keeps it working 80hr weeks.

You should have sent them a -Thank You- note for all the times they worked on your 1050 for free.

BUT :huh: I may not know nothing

<_< The 1050 is not covered by the normal warantie that the 650 and down is coverd by.

The 1050 is sometimes used as a comercial tool and could get conected to a hydro unit that keeps it working 80hr weeks.

You should have sent them a -Thank You- note for all the times they worked on your 1050 for free.

BUT :huh: I may not know nothing

yep i did send a thank you ..also 6 of my my friends who own 1050"s had their machines serviced at no charge for the past 3-5 years.. im sure its not just me... ill ask them to give dillon a thank you also <_<

Edited by ogiebb

Yesterday the shellplate on my 650 gave up the ghost. One of the case retaining rings fractured and would spit a case at the priming station.

It was 4pm Saturday December 23rd. Called Dillon to see if there was a message on their answering machine saying when they would be back after the holidays.

SATURDAY AFTERNOON TWO DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS AND THEY WERE THERE!

Offered to pay for the part I broke but they said its warrantied and they are sending a replacement.

I'm a Dillon customer for life.

Dillon used to be a lot "looser" with support for the 1050. When I originally bought mine, the salesman told me that they would never enforce the one year limit on repairs unless it was commercial use or obvious abuse like repeatedly breaking shellplates by mis-adjusting the press.

Several years later, a Dillon telephone rep told me that word came down from Mike Dillon that the one year term was to be enforced, and that the unofficial providing of free parts for the 1050 was no longer the practice.

Dillon has never had the "no BS warranty" on the 1050, and it was no doubt a mistake that their rep used the phrase "would never enforce" when I bought mine.

This comment about "because it's a commercial press" seems disingenuous - a more direct answer to the support question would probably read like "The cost of offering a lifetime warranty on a press that has no peer in the marketplace would exceed the marketing benefit Dillon would receive from such a policy." I place the "commercial press" statement in the same category as when a store states they require ID when cashing checks "for your protection."

The good news is that even though Dillon doesn't provide free support for the 1050 any more, they still do a great job of shipping replacement parts quickly and it's still the best press out there short of the automated ones used by the ammo factories.

i was always the biggest Dillon fan even when my friends were trying to get me more diff presses like lee etc...i always thought of them as the best press out there.i just dont know why they charge $120 for just to look at it, the parts i have no problems paying for...and also they do have customer numbers right? thats how they can track down if it is a Comercial machine or personal use.. i have never owned any other dillon model so if they would limit the 1050 it might be down to get a diff one... <_<

Ogie, I read this thread last night tired, and it struck me wrong. I am reading it again with replies and it still strikes me wrong. Here is why...

Due to what ever reasons a company that make the best product for your needs is now charging to repair/replace any worn parts on a mechanical device that has parts that wear. Regardless if they have done it or not in the past, they had to change a policy that obviously affected their bottomline( and yes, I am sure that there were commercial reloaders out there that took advantage of free replacement parts on the 1050s). Compared to the other presses they make they just do not make/sell as many 1050s as they do the other presses, which means the parts for the machine cost more to make. The profit margin is simply different with that machine. DIllon is in the business of making money, not loosing money and going out of business.

I have no affiliation with Dillon other than having two 1050s on my bench, along with a lot of calendars on my walls and other associated items that are blue. I have no problem spending $120 to recondition my machine since when I added up all the money it would cost to replace the parts that I was told they might/would replace it was more than what I was paying, and remember that part of the $120 is return shipping.

Maybe it is just Christmas time, but I guess that I am thankful that in this day and age we still have a company that provides the best product on the market, and stands behind their stuff 100%, even if they make us pay for our own repairs......(and the money spent is worth it if they keep doing their calendars. IMHO..) No matter what breaks or I screw up, all it takes is a phone call and I am back in business in a couple of days. When I call a competitor on the phone for parts or a replacement part that wore out the phone clerk doesnt know what I am talking about, doesnt know their products, etc......

I guess if you have this big of a problem with Dillon you should give them a call.....

I hope they can explain their policy to you so you understand what has changed so you can go back to enjoying your incredible reloading press. I put an order for parts and stuff last week so I could sorta tell Mike thanks...... ;)

Sorry for the long diatribe.....

Merry Christmas,

DougC

Doug,

i understand what you are trying to say and agree and thank that dillon has been one of the best supporters of our sport..but for $120 for "inspection fee" NOT including cleaning or servicing a product or even to refurbish the the press..just to INSPECT it just a tad bit much also even for the $41.75 shipping back to my Zip of 11361 ..about the free replacement parts i agree that we should pay for them.. well we did break them right? as long as it is not a factory defect.

i guess i should just think of selling my Newly acquired 1050 and get myself an xl650 to have dillon service it with the no BS warranty...but again i love the 1050 press well ..or maybe im just too cheap to pay for the inspection fee.. nope thats not it heck im just broke..but sorry if i struck anybody wrong with my post

to everyone Happy Holidays!!!!!

Edited by ogiebb

Companies have to make business decisions. Mike Dillon probably looked at the margins he was making on the 1050 (I believe they make less %-wise on the 1050 than on any other model) and decided that the returns on it needed to be closer to the rest of the product line.

Also, if I were to start a business of 1050 refurbishing, there's no way in hell that I'd do it for $120 a whack less my shipping costs. There's no way you can pay the bills on that one.

Finally, I've called Dillon when shopping for my 1050 and they were VERY upfront about the fact that there is no lifetime warranty on the 1050. In fact, they urged me to buy a 650 instead because it did have the warranty.

Policy changes can make us unhappy. But they ususally happen for a reason. I'm just happy that I can still buy Dillon products. Building mini-guns is bringing in a hell of a lot more revenue for Dillon these days.

Take your out of warranty car to a dealer and ask how much will it cost to find out what is wrong with it but don't repair it and see what you are told. Actually take any computerized car to a repair shop and expect it to cost at least $150 for them to tell you what they think is wrong with it.

In the last 12 years I have never had a car or truck past the manufacturers warranty period.

$120 seems very reasonable to me. I am always amazed at the reloading companies that offer their lifetime warranties on stuff. Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Dillon. I had a Rockchucker that broke it's linkage years ago. the press was probably an original (not even green). and RCBS sent me a new one in exchange for it.

$120 seems very reasonable to me. I am always amazed at the reloading companies that offer their lifetime warranties on stuff. Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Dillon. I had a Rockchucker that broke it's linkage years ago. the press was probably an original (not even green). and RCBS sent me a new one in exchange for it.

Lee offers a complete rebuild for 50% of the current retail price of a press. Unlike Dillon, Lee uses a traditional distributor model and it is very easy to find Lee presses for substantially less than retail. For example, the Lee Pro 1000 retails for $201.98, but is available from Natchez Shooting Supply for $119.99. The "50% of retail rebuild" will cost $100.99 or 84% of the street price of a completely new press.

The do offer a free labor, parts only, repair option that is most likely cheaper than the 84% of new price rebuild.

But, neither of these should be confused with a lifetime warranty.

Actually, the 1050 service fee covers a total teardown, cleaning in the solvent tank, relubrication, and any very minor parts ( such as the rubber sleeve on the primer slide) plus return shipping in the continental U.S. Quite frankly, we noticed over time that a majority of machines in the repair department where there not due to a specific defect, but because they were bought used, and the new owner wanted us to go over them rather than clean and relube the loader themselves. The service fee charged is priced to cover the packaging materials and retrun shipping costs. Believe me, we don't make any money on it, but we don't see why we need to lose money on a used machine. :ph34r:

Actually, the 1050 service fee covers a total teardown, cleaning in the solvent tank, relubrication, and any very minor parts ( such as the rubber sleeve on the primer slide) plus return shipping in the continental U.S. Quite frankly, we noticed over time that a majority of machines in the repair department where there not due to a specific defect, but because they were bought used, and the new owner wanted us to go over them rather than clean and relube the loader themselves. The service fee charged is priced to cover the packaging materials and retrun shipping costs. Believe me, we don't make any money on it, but we don't see why we need to lose money on a used machine. :ph34r:

Nice breakdown Gary - thanks.

be