Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gift Ideas For An 11 Yr Old Boy

My nephew is 11 and while I usually manage to get him a gift that he likes I am looking for something different this year. Ideally I would like something that offers a level of fun that will keep his interest but that will also challenge his development a little. Since I don't have kids myself I was hoping that a few BErs would have some ideas.

Thanks in advance, Craig

My son is 11, and we got him a Nintendo Wii

It is an interactive video game that has great sports.

They are IMPOSSIBLE to buy, cost about $250.

Went to www.craigslist.com typed in my city, click on electronics, and badaboom, there are people selling then. You pay a bit of a premium, but your kid gets the toy of choice for 2006.

I paid $500 with a couple of extra games included, NEW IN BOX with the receipt.

After I got that one, someone returned a message that I could have bought one for $350.

Put an add on Craigslist that you are looking for one for a reasonable price with your phone number, you WILL get calls.

Hope that helps,

JayT

11 years would be a good age for a BB gun, 5 is too early. i was 5 when i got my first daisy and shot out all the basement windows. need less to say i had the gun taken away for a year. :(

BB guns don't require ears, which is nice to break someone into shooting.

If he lives in a city, find a good Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu school, check it out, and get him a gi and a 1 year membership. Make sure it has an organized children's program. He will thank you after every future school-yard scrap. :D

If he lives in the country, and no schools close...and his folks give the thumbs up...there is no greater gift for a boy than a rifle that shoots straight, ammo, and a puppy that will cruise the woods with him. I like the Australian Blue Heelers, or Sheps, but any pup will do for a boy with places to see.

Check out the Lego Mindstorm NXT kits. Robotic kits are cool.

Those really are cool...with lots up up-potential.

I think I got a 410 (single-shot) shotgun the summer I turned 8. As cool as that was, I didn't have a lot of stuff to shoot. (Do you want him killing birds and frogs and such just for the fun of it?)

410 ammo isn't cheap anymore. It's seems to be priced at or above 12g.

.22's are always fun. You can shoot a can or two all day long. Cheaply.

My Dad never let me get into an automatic. He knew I would burn through the ammo faster than he could buy it. He proved to be right. When I got a Marlin lever action, he couldn't buy bricks of ammo fast enough. (I'd then take his Python out and shoot up his 357 ammo...or whatever was available :) ) If I didn't have to stop to reload, I surely would have burned the barrels out.

Just last week, I went with a buddy who was buying a gun for his grandson. He got a Rossi that came with a .22 barrel and a 410 barrel...both single shot.

Oh...that Rossi 2 barrel setup was on sale for around $110 (at one of the local shops). Dick's Sporting Goods has a 3 barrel version (w/ .243 rifle) for $199.

For a first .22, get him an old Winchester M-67 single shot.

For a shotgun, try to find a used Remington 1100 LT-20 in excellent condition. You can always "borrow" the LT-20 from him when you feel the need :D .

Per Ralphy there can be only one true present for said young man.

THE Red Ryder BB gun, a bargain at only about $30.

Stray not from the path of righteousness.

Oh man, I remember my first BB Gun. That was the coolest present until this year when Fed Ex showed up with my new 650 :P We had 60 acres of Almonds and all the Blue Jays, Crows, Sparows, Frogs, Squirles, and a french poodle :angry: It was my Great Grandparents ranch and I used to spend the weekends out there. One night that little f*$king poodle bit the crap out of my finger. Next moring while I'm "out on patrol", who crosses my sights? Sure as the sun rises, I popped that dog right in the a$$ :D Never messed with me again, lol.....

I bought my six year old son Microsoft Flight Sim and a killer HOTAS/Footpedal setup for xmas this year. Maybe a BB gun next year ;)