Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock factory barrel with lead

RAZZ

The gun had a major case blowout after firing only 12 of these rounds.

I suspect that something other than leading must have caused such a malfunction.

Just a guess, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the factory barrel with not much case support might be contributing factors. I have a few of those rounds left and I just might do a little re-creation just to see how much leading might be accumulated after a few rounds. I don't have a factory barrel anymore so I might just use my Bar-Sto barrel.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the reason "no one can agree on this" is that people are coming from three different levels of experience in the matter.

(1) They "know" that firing lead through a stock Glock barrel is dangerous. They've never actually done it themselves, mind you - because who would ever do something so dangerous - and sternly warn you away from the practice. "Keeping all my fingers is important to me," and so forth.

(2) They've done it but clean the barrel religiously after every shooting session - because why take chances?

(3) They've fired thousands, if not tens of thousands, of rounds of hard cast lead through standard Glock barrels without cleaning without a single problem.

Which group do you think has the greater knowledge and experience base to have a valid opinion on the topic?

Ummm...no.

(4) They have shot lead through their Glock barrel and it leaded up like crazy.

(5) They blew up their Glock shooting lead. :devil:

It happens. But not - in my experience - with hard cast bullets.

Referencing the other poster's experience, I just can't blame the lead bullets for his blown gun - after literally just a few rounds? No. I'm thinking double charge as the only reasonable explanation.

I don't have a factory barrel anymore so I might just use my Bar-Sto barrel.

The Bar-Sto doesn't have the same type of rifling as Glock so it wouldn't be fair comparison. Glock uses polygonal rifling which many people say believe is to blame for the leading and therefore, chamber pressure spike.

Referencing the other poster's experience, I just can't blame the lead bullets for his blown gun - after literally just a few rounds? No. I'm thinking double charge as the only reasonable explanation.

This is what I was thinking too.

I just opened my 6th 500 round box of 180gr lead 40cal bullets from a local bullet maker. I am loading minor with WST for my G35 with the factory barrel. So far so good. I find my gun is a lot dirtier than before when I was using jacketed bullets. I do notice a little leading just beyond the chamber, but it clears up with minimal effort. Like others have said before, I went to lead for cost/quantity reasons.

Edited by prreed10

I’m one of those guys that has shot thousands of cast bullets through my Glock. And I still say to make sure that you have a good soft lube. For a long time I use a brand that had a messy lube but the bullets were rock hard. They shot great, and I didn’t have to clean the barrel very often. That company went out of business so I switched to another brand, these bullets were also very hard. Well it happened. getting ready for a match I cleaned the barrel, and 70 rounds into the match kb. Luckily I was alright and the gun was except for the barrel. So I got a KKM and loaded up the same bullets. They still leaded the barrel like crazy.

The only thing that really stood out was the lube. So as part of a test I treated the bullets with Lee liquid alox lube. That was the answer, the leading went away. Now whenever I load lead they get relubed.

Just a guess, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the factory barrel with not much case support might be contributing factors.

Urban myth.

The "lack of case support" in a Glock barrel is one of those things that a lot of people just "know" is true. Examine the barrel of your Glock. Compare it other barrels. You'll find it offers just as much case support as they do.

• 1 month later...

I did it a little. I checked for problems. I found no problems. I did it a little more. Checked for problems. Found none. Did it for years. Had no problems.

I ended up with two kids with that method of operation. :huh:

Seriously, this was good reading. With the hardcast, is a gas check necessary? Talking Major PF, not magnum loads.

I've put 5K rounds of lead through a G19 last year. I'm not sponsored so I buy the most economical products I can that perform well. I buy my lead from wideners 3K delivered for $150. I've switched to a G34 this year and will continue the practice of pushing as much lead through as I can get the time to do so. Clean and know your gun and products. I'm not a hand wringer and I also don't have a death wish. The leading isn't bad, and I usually clean it after every 300rounds or so.

• 2 months later...

I never used other than lead bullets in my glocks, Here going FMJ is WAAAY too expensive.

My g34 is close to 200.000 rds, never had any problem, I use 124, 123, 122, 135 and 147, all RN.

And the barrel is still accurate enough to make me hit a pepper popper at 100 yds (dawson sights, of course..)

I've shot plenty of bare lead bullets through stock barrels with no problems. The majority have been 180gr .40 major loads and I don't really even worry about cleaning very often. I bought a couple of aftermarket barrels and found accuracy really didn't improve and they "leaded" up just as much as the stock barrels.

Thanks for the replies. This seems to be a complex issue. Some do without question.

Others couldn't be paid to.

For those that do, what powders are you using? Some powders contribute more to leading

than others.

Thanks again.

All the Best,

D. White

I settled on WST for lead bullets.

I shoot with someone who casts their own and shoots them with WST in a Glock 22. They smoke like a freight train, but he likes them and he shoots them well. And, he says that a good scrubbing every 1000 rounds is all he does (not so sure that he's not joking about that last part).

Your mileage may vary.

I have shot thousands of cast bullets out of a G35. I had problems when I tried using too fast of a powder. Powders like bullseye, titegroup and clays are too fast. These fast powders seem to obturate the base of the bullet before it leaves the case. Then that fat base gets shaved off as it enters the barrel. The leading was so bad I would have to brush out the barrel between stages. Once I figured out what was going on I switched to slower burners such as Unique, Power pistol etc. Now the gun will run several hundred rounds between brushings. I have also shot thousands of cast bullets through a 17L. Again using slower powders it has worked great.

Thanks again for the replies.

WST seems to be a BIG favorite for cast lead bullets in general.

I'm probably going to try Universal and AA#7 incrementing up

until leading improves or gets worse. I'll give the barrel a

good brushing between strings.

All the Best,

D. White

Edited by Dwhite