Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock factory barrel with lead

RAZZ

Every thread I read I hear about lead, supported and how one brand is better or worse than the other. One thing I've never seen anything on is switching to a threaded barrel and if it improves accuracy not with the brand of barrel but with an added .72 " inch of barrel. Does it matter; seems to me it would be a pretty big thing to have the added length.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know may competition shooters who run lead thru a 40S&W Glock OEM barrel without issues. But keep in mind barrel leading is a function of velocity and bullet hardness and powder type. The lower the velocity, the less quickly the lead builds up in polygonal ( hammer forged) barrels, but it does build up. A cut rifled barrel greatly reduces the buildup, that's the original reason cut rifled barrels where developed, to reduce fouling, not to increase accuracy, and it makes alot easier to get the lead out, by using the lead cocktail, which does no harm to SS barrels. A longer barrel does not reduce lead fouling, it only provides more surface area to foul. It may improve accuracy for certain loads. A threaded barrel has nothing to do with improved accuracy, it only allows the addition of a compensator, which with the correct load, will allow the gun to shoot with less recoil.

Edited by 9x45

• 3 months later...

I've recently started shooting BBI out of my G35 gen 4, mainly to save money. I'm using 4.3 gr of titegroup with the 180's and I do get leading. I clean it after every match and I figure 150 rounds won't be enough to blow it up. Honestly, if I could find better deals on Berry's, I would have stuck with them.

9x45, I also thought that the longer barrel would be more accurate, kinda like a revolver with a 2" barrel and a scope will be less accurate than a 8" revolver with a scope. I've been wondering why I never see Limited shooters using a threaded barrel with a thread protector. If nothing else, it's adding weight up front.

If I were to switch to a cooler powder to continue shooting BBI, what are some recommendations?

Edited by obsessiveshooter

Cslafrain- I am using the factory barrel. I was expecting leading. I'm using a single stage (gasp) press and lee dies. I've heard that the Lee factory crimp die does more than just crimp and that some people don't recommend it. I'm not sure what crimp die I should replace it with.

As far as the BBI bullets themselves- I think they are just fine and they are accurate out of my glock. The price is great too. Shipping was quick. What more could I want? If I had an aftermarket barrel, I wouldn't prefer the Berry's anymore. As it is, the leading cocnerns me because I don't know how much lead is enough to be concerned about. I've only shot about 150 rounds max before cleaning the barrel, but I have my first all-day level II match coming up, and it will be over 300 rounds. I guess I'll be scrubbing the barrel at lunchtime. I'd be glad to send pics of the ammo, if you have some recommendations. Thanks for the offer! Just pm me an email address, since I can't post pics on this forum unless I start the topic.

I've recently started shooting BBI out of my G35 gen 4, mainly to save money. I'm using 4.3 gr of titegroup with the 180's and I do get leading. I clean it after every match and I figure 150 rounds won't be enough to blow it up. Honestly, if I could find better deals on Berry's, I would have stuck with them.

If I were to switch to a cooler powder to continue shooting BBI, what are some recommendations?

What specific type of leading are you experiencing?
(1) Streaking along the entire length of the barrel lands; (2) splotches towards front of the barrel; or (3) a fog-like film that coats the entire barrel; and, (4) exactly where is most of this leading occurring inside the bore?
Mic your bullets. How does the bullet’s diameter compare to your actual bore? In your case an ideal bullet diameter would be, something like, .401 to .402 inch. Finally, what is the BHN of those BBI bullets you are using?
NOW, SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING WITH LEAD BULLETS WILL BE BETTER ABLE TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS.
Exempli Gratia: A harder bullet that falls inside a BHN range of ≥ 16 to ≤ 24, which your bullet most likely does, that is being pushed by a moderate charge of powder might cause streaking down the entire length of the barrel.
My best guess, based on the sparse information you’ve provided, is the coated bullet is, perhaps, ever so slightly too large and/or too hard; the powder charge is ever so slightly too light; and the bullet is failing to obturate (conform to the barrel lands and grooves) as it passes through the barrel. I very much doubt that there's anything wrong with your Tightgroup powder.
Question: Are the bases of those P/L HI-TEK lubed bullets you’re using fully coated, or are they open, exposed lead?
If you need to clean your barrel of lead while you're in the field then use a cotton patch WRAPPED AROUND A HOPPE'S BRONZE BRUSH. Coat the patch with Flitz Metal Polish, or IOSSO Bore Cleaner, and begin scrubbing the bore - All the way through, and all the way back. Three or four patches and something less than 10 minutes should do it. 'Lead-Away' cloth patches also work; but you'll have to cut them to size by hand. The last patches through the bore should be clean, dry, and (almost) white.

• 1 month later...
Arc Angel " Question: Are the bases of those P/L HI-TEK lubed bullets you’re using fully coated, or are they open, exposed lead?"

Hi-Tek bullets from all bullet makers are fully coated. I switched from moly lead bullets last October, after my blood lead level reached 25, and starting shooting Bayou (Hi-Tek) bullets. In 4 months my blood lead dropped to 8. I normally shoot 4-6 USPSA matches a month running 125 TC 9mm over 4 grains of TiteGroup at 1.125" OAL going about 1,150fps.

Arc Angel " Question: Are the bases of those P/L HI-TEK lubed bullets you’re using fully coated, or are they open, exposed lead?"

Hi-Tek bullets from all bullet makers are fully coated. I switched from moly lead bullets last October, after my blood lead level reached 25, and starting shooting Bayou (Hi-Tek) bullets. In 4 months my blood lead dropped to 8. I normally shoot 4-6 USPSA matches a month running 125 TC 9mm over 4 grains of TiteGroup at 1.125" OAL going about 1,150fps.

Thanks for that! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Since I mentioned bbi in my previous post, I should add that opening the bell and reducing crimp totally eliminated leading for me as well. Bbi is all I shoot and I couldn't be happier with the product, price or how quickly they ship.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Edited by obsessiveshooter

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know if you can run painted lead bullets such as those from Eggleston Munitions through a Zev drop in barrel?

Yes. The zev drop in is cut rifling not polygonal.

I've had success even running the moly or hitek coated bullets in stock barrels but I prefer using aftermarket.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've shot lead out of the factory barrel a few times. Never more than a hundred round before cleaning though. Never had any excess leading. I did end up buying a kkm though after a bad experience with a lone wolf, mostly for peace of mind. Just because I didn't have any issues the three times I did it, wasn't enough to convince me I never would.

• 1 month later...

I've been using Bar-Sto Precision barrels for the past 25 + years.  I like them a lot; and, with Irv Stone's DVD, you should have no problem at all fitting your new Bar-Sto barrel into a nice tight lockup!  (Noticeably better than factory, 'Drop-in'.)  

https://www.amazon.com/Bar-Sto-Precision-Machine-Barrels-DVD/dp/B003IDA9MU  

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2015 at 7:49 AM, RandyLahey said:

I had lead issues with bbi until I opened the bell more and reduced my crimp. I pulled a few bullets and you could see shaving of the coating. Opening the bell was most of the issue.

This is the answer. I've run thousands of SNS and when loaded correctly they produce zero leading in factory barrels. 

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I got a good deal on a used Glock 21 back in 1995,  That's before all this Gen 2,3,4 stuff.  I know, that's 45, much lower pressure but It still has it's factory barrel, I've shot at least 60,000 lead reloads out of it.  I probably have shot close to 100 K since I got it.  It's no longer my go to competition gun (it was for 18 years of IPSC) I'd say it's as accurate as when I got it.  Now I work at a lead smelter and buy all plated ammo.  LOL

Forgot to mention, I too cleaned my glock religiously, every 1 or 2 thousand rounds, maybe sooner if it was for a Nationals.

Edited by blasterboy

• 3 months later...