Glock factory barrel with lead

RAZZ

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

+1 to WST, been usingthat, and its now defunct great grand father 452AA for yrs...its a cooler powder and depending(YMMV) on bullet makeup/lube etc...smoke is minimal, recoil is soft, its clean burning, i ran AA#7 in my supers for a few yrs and trashed a barrel because of the stuff it left behind( plastic bits that were to uniform burn rates in the powder)

I think the concern with the glo k 40 comes from the pistol having an unsupported chamber with a very high pressure round in the case of the 40sw. I shoot lead through a lone wolf barrel in my g17. They cost about a hundred bucks and are very accurate drop in barrels. Storm lake also makes excellent drop in barrels. There are enough stories of people detonating their guns to make me bite the cost and order a new barrel. Maybe these people had bad ammo maybe they didn't clean their barrel whatever. For a hundred bucks you don't have to worry about it

I've shot many thousands if lead 122 grain hard cast bullets through mt G17&g19 pistols. My first 500 rounds were fired very carefully and I examined the barrel every 100 rounds. There was not much leading after that interval. I do clean the gun after every use, unless I go shoot a quickie low round count match.

My friend John blew up. G21 in less than 50 rounds. He switched bullet companies. The new bullet was advertised to be comparable to the Precision Black bullet but instead was a pure lead slug with a light moly coating. The barrel was UGLY with lead.

Just a guess, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the factory barrel with not much case support might be contributing factors.

Urban myth.

The "lack of case support" in a Glock barrel is one of those things that a lot of people just "know" is true. Examine the barrel of your Glock. Compare it other barrels. You'll find it offers just as much case support as they do.

Glock has fixed that problem to some extend, I have noticed that there is a big difference in a factory barrel and KKM chamber diameters

Glock chamber is lose and sloppy allowing the case to rattle around, Glock did this to increase functionality.

A kaboom is most likely a double charge or an obstructed barrel, people that shoot a gun and never clean it are lazy asses and deserve what ever come of it. It's like driving your car and never checking/changing the oil in the end you will spend the money you think you are saving.

It happens. But not - in my experience - with hard cast bullets.

Referencing the other poster's experience, I just can't blame the lead bullets for his blown gun - after literally just a few rounds? No. I'm thinking double charge as the only reasonable explanation.

The two times that I know of a Glock blowing were due to double charge.

I've shot tens of thousands of Precision Bullets and Bear Creek (moly) bullets thru my G17's running on top of 4.0 grains of TiteGroup at 1.160" overall. They smoke allot, and do leave some heavy residue which I clean about every 500 to 1,000 rounds (bore snaked after every match). At they end of the day, I think you save $10-$20 per thousand over Montana Gold. Even though I have fitted BarSto's for the G17's, the factory barrels are far easier to clean. For the big matches I use the Montana Golds...

What do you all think about wheel weight bullets coated with Roster Red lube for .40 minor in a stock barrel?

EJ

I drop all my cast bullets (using wheel weights) out of the mold into a pail of water. They then are sized and lubed. Roster Is a hard lube and may not give you the results you are looking for. I use the harder lube in my cast bullets that I use for rifles as the velocity is higher and more heat is generated.

I have shot cast pistol bullets with Red Rooster lube and upon examining the spent bullet found all of the lube was still in the lube groves.

• 7 months later...

You can. It requires frequent cleaning and barrel inspction; and a good, well developed, load that you have found not to lead your barrel much.

If you're one of those people who like to brag about how you never clean your gun and it still runs great, you may well end up hurting yourself or someone else.

Easier just to get a drop-in barrel or shoot FMJ and not worry about it.

The reason Glocks blow up from lead bullet use is because the type of rifling in the barrel is more prone to "leading" or lead build up in the rifling which increases pressures. If u use good hard cast lead bullets and you clean your barrel regularly you will be fine.

Pinned, since this is a topic that recurs with some frequency, and perhaps by having this thread in a very prominent location we can save folks having to reinvent in again and again in the future. ;)

Thank You Duane! It does help!

• 7 months later...

Administrator note: I merged a good half-dozen or more threads on this same subject. If some of the responses seem be a bit out of order...it is likely due to the massive merge.

I have seen a few posts touching on the subject, but I would like more info. I know the reason most people avoid shooting lead through a factory Glock barrel (at least I have been told its because of the rifling which strips off more lead than other company's barrels, which can lead to overpressure and the dreaded KB). However, I have a couple of friends (I know, each gun is different) who have put tens of thousands of rounds (one stopped counting after 60k) of lead through each of their factory G22s with no problems. If the barrels are scrubbed religiously every 200 or 300 rounds, is the lead build-up really a problem? Thanks...

It seems to be hit and miss depending on caliber, lead + lead composition etc, and maintenance. I looked at the cost of replacing a barrel and I just placed an order for a semi-custom Bar-Sto barrel so I can shoot lead in my 34 without worrying at all. Just weigh the cost of replacement(glock barrel/ slides are expensive)/ possible medical possibilities and go from there.