Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder recommendations for coated bullets

dwbethue

I shoot a ton of 115gr coated bullets using 4.2gr of Sport Pistol and have been very happy with the load. However Sport Pistol can be tough to find and I'm looking to see what powders others are using for coated bullet loads, especially 115gr loads.

Thinking I should identify some backup options now before I run too low or things get too scarce again. 

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

anything but tight group,, But really Hiteck coating is alot less smokey than the old black moly coating or the uncoated lubed stuff. So really Tight group may be fine.
Usual suspects for 9mm minor, 320,  Accurate number 2, CLeanshot, American Select,   I mean really you can go to a burn rate chart and look between E3 and Unique and pick one.  
Clean shot which is the old Accurate #2 seems to be a winner on price and availability.. Id probably stock up on that and call it good.

I have used N320 and it works fine.  I have used WSF and 231, both okay.  Fortunately I got some N320 when it was cheaper than it is now.   Of course after seeing what some companies are charging N320 still looks good.  

58 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

anything but tight group,, But really Hiteck coating is alot less smokey than the old black moly coating or the uncoated lubed stuff. So really Tight group may be fine.

In the past, TG was pretty commonly recommended on this forum. I haven't been able to reload for a couple of years but used a ton of it in the past with 147gr coated. Never a problem but didn't like the fact that it only filled a small volume of the case. Switched to Sport Pistol which I have quite a bit of.

1 hour ago, lgh said:

In the past, TG was pretty commonly recommended on this forum. I haven't been able to reload for a couple of years but used a ton of it in the past with 147gr coated. Never a problem but didn't like the fact that it only filled a small volume of the case. Switched to Sport Pistol which I have quite a bit of.

what kind of coating ?
I have a bunch of tightgroup still I quit using back in my moly coated days.. Might try it again
Yeh alot of people used it in 9 minor and 40 major as it was cheap, seemed to be always available, and it worked well.. As mentioned only issue was smoke with the pre  hitek style coatings, or wax lubed.  Jacketed and copper bullets were more common then before prices got stupid.. I was gathering all my 40 ammo and came across a couple boxes of tighgroup under 180 gr HAP's 40 major match loads..  I used to shoot HAP's at matches and Precesion Moly coated and local hard cast wax in proactice.

Lots of the common 12ga trap and skeet powders make great pistol powders for our gamer loads.  
American Select is a favorite for every thing from 38 short colt/9x19 to 45acp.  Others are red dot, promo, 700x, e3, clay dot, nobels GM3…you get the idea.  

For a Plan B powder check out what your powder source has in stock.  Shotgun powder usually has good published load data for pistol loads, too.  

I use Titegroup with coated bullets. There is some smoke, but nothing like cast lead bullets. The coatings these days is nothing like early moly coating. Shooting outside I rarely notice the smoke.

32 minutes ago, Bamboo said:

Lots of the common 12ga trap and skeet powders make great pistol powders for our gamer loads.  
American Select is a favorite for every thing from 38 short colt/9x19 to 45acp.  Others are red dot, promo, 700x, e3, clay dot, nobels GM3…you get the idea.  

For a Plan B powder check out what your powder source has in stock.  Shotgun powder usually has good published load data for pistol loads, too.  

For everyones info,, Highgun is re labeled tightgroup, for whatever reason. Hodgdon wanted a new powder .

Titegroup is a little smokey with HiTek or Polymer coated bullets, but to be honest, I never notice the smoke while shooting.

Only if I review videos that someone took of me shooting, do I notice the smoke.

I never notice it IRL or from 1st person videos.

Same goes for N320.

Both are good options.

Edited by savagemann

N320 is prob your best bet; it works well with literally everything - light and heavy bullets, moly, plated, FMJ. 
I ran AA2 which is very close to N320 as far as burn rate, how it meters, how it feels.  N320 is a tick cleaner and more consistent.

What am I missing

I'm using 244 don't compete but when I look at the numbers it has a very low standard deviation, high velicity per charge weight,very accurate metering,versitle for many calibers

inexpensive and available

Why is it not more popular 

Just now, Dennis22 said:

What am I missing

I'm using 244 don't compete but when I look at the numbers it has a very low standard deviation, high velicity per charge weight,very accurate metering,versitle for many calibers

Agreed, 244 is a great powder.

30 minutes ago, Dennis22 said:

What am I missing

its a reformulated 231.. basically they found a cheaper way to make it.. This powder  came out or got known about the same time Sport pistol, and Cleanshot (a reflagged Accurate #2) came about. 
Its low volume to charge weight made me think it would have consistency issues. Although tightgroup is pretty low volume and works fine.
Clean shot and Sport Pistol became available... I am only just now seeing 244,,  People already decided on what they wanted to use and were happy with it.
Another crowd just stuck with VV 310 and 320... Used to be VV was expensive.. There price stayed about the same and Hodgdons jumped up in price..
Basically actual availability of 244 missed the boat.. Although Sport pistol now seems to be getting rare.
244 is also a bit slower than some of the more popular 9 minor/ 40 major loads and probably has just a bit more bark than say A2..  244 is probably a really good all around powder for people that load a little bit of every thing and arnt all that concerned with top velocity or absolute minimum recoil.