Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Atlas worth the price difference over MPA?

P schütze

Was wondering if the Atlas Athena/Artemis is worth the price difference over the MPA DS9 Hybrid series? Unfortunately, IDPA is the prevailing game around my area, so I'd need it to be IDPA compliant for ESP and CO. Money isn't an issue, but if the MPA is as good, or almost as good as the Atlas, there is no reason to throw an extra few thousand away, IMO. 

Anyone with experience with either brand, please let me know your thoughts. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't buy a DS9 with your money.  IMO, both Atlas guns are overpriced.  Check out the Brazos SC Limited.  $4200 with steel grip and first-rate parts.  Check out some of the custom builders on this site.  Many will build you a terrific gun for much less than Atlas.

Check out the Springfield Prodigy.  You get an awful lot for your Dollars.  Change a few parts out if you want to slick things up and you are still under 2k.  I'd take a Prodigy over a DS9 any day of the week.

32 minutes ago, zzt said:

I wouldn't buy a DS9 with your money.  IMO, both Atlas guns are overpriced.  Check out the Brazos SC Limited.  $4200 with steel grip and first-rate parts.  Check out some of the custom builders on this site.  Many will build you a terrific gun for much less than Atlas.

Check out the Springfield Prodigy.  You get an awful lot for your Dollars.  Change a few parts out if you want to slick things up and you are still under 2k.  I'd take a Prodigy over a DS9 any day of the week.

Thanks for your feedback. Does Brazos make an IDPA compliant gun? What is the issues with the DS9 that you prefer the Prodigy?

Edited by P schütze

1 hour ago, P schütze said:

Thanks for your feedback. Does Brazos make an IDPA compliant gun? What is the issues with the DS9 that you prefer the Prodigy?

I think a steel gripped gun is going to make the pistol too heavy for IDPA.  I had a guy shooting an MPA on my squad yesterday and it never missed a beat.  I think those go for $3500ish.  Atlas is very close to double that.  They are very nice guns, but not nice enough to double the cost.  

4 hours ago, P schütze said:

I don't know if Brazos makes an IDPA legal gun.  If you want to know what is wrong with MPA and the DS9 in particular, shoot me a PM, or email zzt@earthlink.net.

6 hours ago, zzt said:

I agree totally on the MPA. That said I’d take the atlas over the Brazo’s have had plenty of both to inspect. 

MPA have their issues, but at least the price is in line with what you get.  With Atlas, you're paying full custom gun price for a production gun.  Really, if you're going to spend that kind of money, there are far better options.  

48 minutes ago, davsco said:

my mpa ds9 was a little finicky, but once i used only mbx and not sti mags, and got the OAL a little short at 1.15, it's been perfect all this year.  and david there has been super responsive and helpful.

It should flat out run on any length ammo and decent mag. 9mm is easy to get running. I would worry about it being finicky and liking only a certain length ammo. 

I wasn’t very impressed with the Atlas Athena I bought. It didn’t seem like it was fit very well and had issues with both the trigger and extractor.

Support was great, when you could actually get ahold of someone. But actually getting someone was an issue. Calls went unanswered, and voicemails were never returned. Their ticket system is ok, but it can take 3-4 days to get an actual response.

In the end I corrected the issues myself with the help of YouTube… they did offer to have me send the gun back, but I didn’t want to risk another extended wait after the initial wait for the gun. 

now everything runs right and I  haven’t had any further issues. but it was irritating to have multiple issues with a brand new gun. 

How does it compare with other 2011s? I have no idea.

11 hours ago, donnyglock said:

It should flat out run on any length ammo and decent mag. 9mm is easy to get running. I would worry about it being finicky and liking only a certain length ammo. 

just to be clear i didn't say it had to be exactly 1.15, it just doesn't like longer ammo like my other sti's do.  and while i am surprised it doesn't like sti mags, clearly mbx magazines are out there for a reason.  like i said not even a hiccup with shorter ammo and mbx mags.

1 hour ago, davsco said:

just to be clear i didn't say it had to be exactly 1.15, it just doesn't like longer ammo like my other sti's do.  and while i am surprised it doesn't like sti mags, clearly mbx magazines are out there for a reason.  like i said not even a hiccup with shorter ammo and mbx mags.

Ok. I still stand by what I said. These guns should run any length ammo and any decent mag. As a builder that’s just day one stuff. 

Based on what I’ve seen, a local shooter has an MPA open gun, it’s pretty finicky and the slide to frame fit is just a smidge better than my Prodigy. It’s far behind other 2011’s like a Staccato P, STI Grand Master and Steel Master, Akai, and Venom Custom. Haven’t had a chance to play with an Atlas. The MPA’s magwell fit is also extremely loose and rattles around. If I had the funds, the Venom would be my choice.

1 hour ago, tt350z said:

. The MPA’s magwell fit is also extremely loose and rattles around. 

IIRC, the Open and LO Comp pistols share the SS grips and magwells.  LOC Magwell uses a set screw tightened against the mainspring housing to complete installation; which also stops the rattle.

Magwell.png

On 9/24/2023 at 2:21 PM, RangerTrace said:

I think a steel gripped gun is going to make the pistol too heavy for IDPA.  I had a guy shooting an MPA on my squad yesterday and it never missed a beat.  I think those go for $3500ish.  Atlas is very close to double that.  They are very nice guns, but not nice enough to double the cost.  

You are correct Steel grip would be too heavy for IDPA.   My 4.25 Prodigy was 39ounce with magazine stock grip.   It was too heavy with steel Cheely grip

Edited by Timido

No issues with MPA here.  I bought a new old model on sale pretty cheap, shot it for a year, and MPA upgraded it for free.  The gun does run and customer service was top notch.  I've shot an Atlas.  It seems like they used to be a lot cheaper but they sure got expensive once the name got out there.  I don't think you can go wrong either way, but why pay for more when the cheaper gun will be more than adequate?

I've had good luck with my ds9 so far.  It runs factory ammo and my reloads no problem using mbx mags that came with it.  It's a good option for the price point.  Not as well built as my cheely, but I didn't expect it to be since it's a "semi custom" gun.

I've got a few friends the mpa. They seem to run fine and the CS is top tier.

There's a lot of competition in the 3k range popping up. You could check out vudoo also. 

https://vudoogunworks.com/priest/

If you're really into wiggling your frame and want no play, you're going to have to double your budget. Is it worth it? That's up to you.