Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig Armorer OOB firing fix for P320

LMS

57 minutes ago, LMS said:

They are finally for sale.  

https://www.thesigarmorer.com/product/the-sig-armorer-p320-sport-disconnector/

I know a few folks who have had theirs blow up, which has caused me to consider moving to a different platform.    But I like a lot about the X5 Legion, so will give this a try - placed my order this morning.

I like how it’s described as “greatly” reduces oob detonations, not prevents oob detonations. Sounds like legal speak.

When I got one of his tripper kits, a highly polished disconnect was included. I wonder if this one is any different. By the way, my factory disconnect was severely worn out. I don’t recall how many rounds + dry fire sessions it had 

Edit: the kits now “include this new sport disconnecter”. So I guess it’s different from what I got. 

Edited by jaep1911

16 minutes ago, jaep1911 said:

When I got one of his tripper kits, a highly polished disconnect was included. I wonder if this one is any different. By the way, my factory disconnect was severely worn out. I don’t recall how many rounds + dry fire sessions it had 

Edit: the kits now “include this new sport disconnecter”. So I guess it’s different from what I got. 

The disconnector included in his original kit is a plated OEM.

1 hour ago, Rich406 said:

I like how it’s described as “greatly” reduces oob detonations, not prevents oob detonations. Sounds like legal speak.

Haha - yea.  

1 minute ago, Stuey said:

Kinda sad that The Sig Armorer has to come up with this type of fix.  

You are absolutely correct.   On the other hand, if Sig came up with it, they'd have to admit something was wrong, rather than the present stance of saying "it's your bad reloads causing the issue".  

It's odd - one guy I know who had a blowup said his call to Sig couldn't have gone better, the person he talked to even said include the optic when sending it back and they'll replace that too if it needs it.   Another guy I know said the person he talked to was accusatory and had to be persuaded into warranteeing it.   I'd love to hear the conversations going on at the highest levels there....

3 hours ago, LMS said:

You are absolutely correct.   On the other hand, if Sig came up with it, they'd have to admit something was wrong, rather than the present stance of saying "it's your bad reloads causing the issue".  

It's odd - one guy I know who had a blowup said his call to Sig couldn't have gone better, the person he talked to even said include the optic when sending it back and they'll replace that too if it needs it.   Another guy I know said the person he talked to was accusatory and had to be persuaded into warranteeing it.   I'd love to hear the conversations going on at the highest levels there....

I wonder if its how you start the conversation. Though i'm very pleasant on the phone and never get anything  my buddy is awful to everyone immediately and he gets everything.

1 hour ago, waktasz said:

Bruce Gray did a lot of work and has a great series of videos showing that these guns can't fire out of battery. I don't get it

I watched some of that. It is interesting though that people are blowing up cases/frames in these guns that work fine in other guns. I think it's more of just s***** chamber support than out of battery discharge.

16 hours ago, RJH said:

I think it's more of just s***** chamber support than out of battery discharge.

Some other things to note with this issue.

Are lower power recoil springs contributing to the issue?  The stock Sig P320 springs are vastly different in design than the 1911 recoil springs many competition shooters use.   They are also installing lower power springs into the P320.  

Is cleanliness of the gun contributing to the issue.  If the slide gets gritty can this contribute to the out of battery condition.  

I would think that all of it together might be the issue.  Lower power and/or use of different reoil spring, dirt/grit and the crappy chamber support might be putting the gun in a condition to fire out of battery.  

I have over 30,000 rounds over the last 4 years of shooting various P320 platforms and have yet to have an out of battery condition or case rupture.  I keep my guns clean, and while I have played with lower power springs, I keep my P320 springs at 14 pounds for the most part.  I haver seen other shooters have multiples on the same gun.  

Maybe something to consider.

Edited by Boomstick303

My legion X5 came with a factory 12lb spring that i can one handed “air rack”. It definitely seems sketchy. Holding the gun vertically and racking the slide it will not go fully into battery. I like the way the gun behaves with the 12lb spring better but refuse to use it.

1 hour ago, RJH said:

I watched some of that. It is interesting though that people are blowing up cases/frames in these guns that work fine in other guns. I think it's more of just s***** chamber support than out of battery discharge.

One thing you noted is incorrect.

people are NOT (by and large) blowing up frames,  they are blowing out extractors and breaking grips.. A friend blew one up a few months ago, popped a new extractor in it put on a new grip and was back in business.

I think the tungsten grip plastic appears to be more brittle than regular plastic grips/frames. Having seen a blown up a GLOCK or 2 over the years, the case thats left in the barrel looks the same and the extractor still departs for parts un-known but the frame (grip) doesn't break on them. 

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

One thing you noted is incorrect.

people are NOT (by and large) blowing up frames,  they are blowing out extractors and breaking grips.. A friend blew one up a few months ago, popped a new extractor in it put on a new grip and was back in business.

I think the tungsten grip plastic appears to be more brittle than regular plastic grips/frames. Having seen a blown up a GLOCK or 2 over the years, the case thats left in the barrel looks the same and the extractor still departs for parts un-known but the frame (grip) doesn't break on them. 

True enough, I call in the grip the frame on things like glocks and such but the sig is a little different. Either way they do seem to explode at a higher rate than other guns. One time I looked back and 99% of the Glocks blowing up that I saw were in 40, and all with reloads.

I think the commonality between the two guns is reloads, so slightly weakened brass, and fairly unsupported chambers. In the sig's case, very unsupported on some of the barrels. 

Over the long haul, I have always felt the gun operated better with the 14# recoil springs.  While I liked the recoil impulse slightly better with the 12# the gun seem to operate better with the heavier recoil spring. 

9 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Over the long haul, I have always felt the gun operated better with the 14# recoil springs.  While I liked the recoil impulse slightly better with the 12# the gun seem to operate better with the heavier recoil spring. 

This. I have discovered this myself. I run the 14 now on my lockwood. I used to run the 12# with the stock slide, but should have ran 14.

• 1 month later...

I have been shooting competitively for around 17 years. I shoot 2-4 matches a month, mostly IDPA but some USPSA. I try to get to the outdoor range at least three times a month.
I am saying this just to say I am fairly experienced with shooting firearms.

I started IDPA with Glocks, Moved to an XDM for a while. Friend got me interested in CZ's and I went through several, and them moved to Caniks for a few years.

I had two cases blow up a few years ago. One was a Glock and one was a Canik, no damage done.

I switched to a Sig P320 about 18 months ago. I had three cases blow up or OOB. Two blew the magazines out but no other damage and the third just made a louder noise and blackened my hand. I was shooting my reloads.
Then I had just gone to the outdoor range. I decided to empty my carry magazines by firing slowly and accurately. I was using Federal 124 HST. I had fired 10 rounds and saw each hit the target.

On the 11th shot giant bang. Magazine blew out and apart, I never found the magazine spring. 

Extractor blown out and slide was stuck about 2 " back. Case was severely mangled and I had to tear it out in pieces. I never could get the slide to move at all. It did have a Wilson grip module.

Sig repaired it, I believe they put my FCU in a new gun and said Wilson module was damaged and replaced it with a Sig laser engraved and a new magazine.

My friend had same thing happen a few weeks ago, blown extractor was only damage and yesterday during a match another friend had his P320 blow out the extractor, we got the blown case. Both are experienced reloaders and were shooting reloads including range pick up brass. We all inspect and discard bad looking brass but impossible to tell if it is weak.
I watched all the videos and listened to all the arguments and I don't know if it is just weak cases, my thoughts, or firing OOB which I tend to doubt.

The blown cases were all bulged on the back end as if they were not supported when they blew.

One friend just ordered the newer extractor but I don't really know which direction I am going to go.

Trying to keep an open mind.

• 5 months later...
51 minutes ago, RGC said:

Aren't the KKM's and Barsto's fully supporting the round and thus corrects this issue?

I have had both (still have the KKM) and yes they do support it better - and you can see it with the naked eye.    The rounds don't sit quite as low as those of a CZ, but I would *think/hope* it probably makes in incremental difference.

I read so much about the Sig p320 concerns, particularly as they have just recently become available to the California market.

.... It seems most likely to me that these issues resulted from errors in reloading.

I think Mr. Gray's testing nicely and most definitively demonstrated that as the most likely cause.

• 1 month later...

Just had two local shooters have their 320 x5 legions blow up. They both have exclusively shot the x5 legion since it released.

One was reloaded ammo; the other factory.

Destroyed the barrel/extractor/grip module.

They are still going to shoot Sigs.

I'm contemplating what to do with mine and/or get this disconnector.

I can get mine to release the striker "out of battery" but the barrel is not unlocked. So i am not sure how to take this.

Its similar to this photo:

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpreview.redd.it%2Fazoo2zcmw29c1.jpg%3Fwidth%3D4032%26format%3Dpjpg%26auto%3Dwebp%26s%3Db13f6573168c0fced16a14cea6a25a83caa236a7

I need to check chamber support on mine.

Edited by mrvip27

On 1/10/2024 at 9:32 PM, wanttolearn said:

I read so much about the Sig p320 concerns, particularly as they have just recently become available to the California market.

.... It seems most likely to me that these issues resulted from errors in reloading.

I think Mr. Gray's testing nicely and most definitively demonstrated that as the most likely cause.

IIRC didn't he also say they were drop safe before the recall?

Then said they couldn't fire OOB.

Then did testing to show "if" they fired out of battery it was fine. Which makes me think there must be a chance they can fire out of battery. He probably tested 10's of rounds to come to the conclusion that it's all reloads blowing guns up. 

Clearly something is happening to them, and it happens with factory and reloads. I'll just stay away, plenty of other guns on the market these days.