Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who's using small rifle primers in 9mm?

ColoradoNick

Ive compared CCI LRP to CCI LPP and FPS we the same.   That is with CCI.  CCI uses the same primer compound for LRP and LPP in the batch of primers I have that came from the early 2000's.   So there are no blanket statements that there would be a  3 PF difference.  You need to test each primer manufacturer because some companies use the same primer compound for all primers.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unis genix 5.56 primers, thought they were sending the regular srp. My 2011 open gun runs them, Glock 34 and 17 with 3lb triggers, barely dent them. Using them for open and my pcc which is piercing my federal spm.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if any has used S&B SR primers in their pistols, they apear to be as hard as a rock.

Even a #20 mainspring in the 2011 is not enough fora  100% ignition rate.

The same combo hardly makes a dent in some Murom SRM primers, while some woirk just fine. 

SRP are often used in Open guns because they run at higher pressures and will start flattening early. To the extent you know that you're clear on the pressure side, SRP is no problem in most semi-autos. However, it will depend on the specific primer (large variance in how hard they are) and your specific gun (most have more than enough power to ignite, but if it becomes sporadic, those SRP's are not for that gun). 

SRP likely won't work in tuned up revolvers at all, where all the springs are dialed down to get a nice DA trigger, and where you need soft Federal primers seated at full depth. 

Rifle primers can potentially cause more breech face erosion if there isn't enough pressure to get them to seal where a pistol primer would. 

In my experience, this is mostly theoretical as I've not seen that to any extent in my pistols after a couple hundred thousand WSR primers, but other people have complained about breech erosion here in the past.

To Shred's point I have now seen two pistols come into the shop in the last 6 months with pitting around the firing pin due to most likely small rifle primer use with minor loads.  On one gun I think it was only 600 rounds or so, but I am convinced that some small commercial reloaders have been loading with small rifle primers in pistol ammo if that is all they have.  One of the owners told me that he used small rifle primers shooting minor (no I didn't ask what the load was).   Years ago I used small rifle primers during a shortage with minor steel challenge loads and had the ring of pitting around my firing pin on my 2011 slide.  I was told by the smartest shooters I knew at the time in my area that it was no problem.  My gunsmith knew what it was immediately and told me to quit doing it. 

I know that primers have been hard to find and understand why everyone uses them. 

All I can say is on some minor loads the primer cup will not have enough pressure to seal between it and the case, and the gas will start eroding some breech faces.   The cups on the small rifle primers have to handle +60,000 PSI in the rifles, and are tougher than the pistol cups.

If your combo is not pitting your breechface then go for it.  I know lots of people shooting major .40 have used small rifle for years in their open guns and major loads with no issues. 

15 hours ago, DougCarden said:

To Shred's point I have now seen two pistols come into the shop in the last 6 months with pitting around the firing pin due to most likely small rifle primer use with minor loads.  On one gun I think it was only 600 rounds or so, but I am convinced that some small commercial reloaders have been loading with small rifle primers in pistol ammo if that is all they have.  One of the owners told me that he used small rifle primers shooting minor (no I didn't ask what the load was).   Years ago I used small rifle primers during a shortage with minor steel challenge loads and had the ring of pitting around my firing pin on my 2011 slide.  I was told by the smartest shooters I knew at the time in my area that it was no problem.  My gunsmith knew what it was immediately and told me to quit doing it. 

I know that primers have been hard to find and understand why everyone uses them. 

All I can say is on some minor loads the primer cup will not have enough pressure to seal between it and the case, and the gas will start eroding some breech faces.   The cups on the small rifle primers have to handle +60,000 PSI in the rifles, and are tougher than the pistol cups.

If your combo is not pitting your breechface then go for it.  I know lots of people shooting major .40 have used small rifle for years in their open guns and major loads with no issues. 

Also, loading the brass 20+ times increases the size of the primer pocket which allows gas to escape and burn the face of the slide.

19 hours ago, DougCarden said:

This is an excellent point I didn't think of - shooting minor, in this case, makes a huge difference because of the pressure and sealing. Learned something new today! 

20 hours ago, DougCarden said:

What brand, Winchester?

16 hours ago, OSP737 said:

Also, loading the brass 20+ times increases the size of the primer pocket which allows gas to escape and burn the face of the slide.

This is kinda what I think is also happening. Brass is getting tired and guys are still using it. I’ve seen revolvers with severe pitting and they have been only fed standard pistol primers. Early Dan Wessons were really bad for it. 

17 hours ago, Farmer said:

This is kinda what I think is also happening. Brass is getting tired and guys are still using it. I’ve seen revolvers with severe pitting and they have been only fed standard pistol primers. Early Dan Wessons were really bad for it. 

Loose primer pockets are pretty obvious in semi-autos, but with crush-fit primers for revos, they might not fall out as easily.

• 2 weeks later...

I used SRPs for practice ammo 2 years - Had no issues until all of a sudden my striker spring wore out and did not have enough to pop the primers - Fixed that issue and then my striker broke in half. I don't know if it had anything to do with the primers being slightly harder, I assume not, but can't prove that.