Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon No BS Warranty?

Dillon users, I have a question about the Dillon No BS Warranty.

I am new to reloading.  I have shot competition NRA Modern Military, NRA Bench 22, and other matches at my gun club for years and have heard mention of Dillon reloading presses for many years.  I can't recall hearing negative comments about a Dillon.  My buddies had commented for years about the Dillon No Bull-s#!t warranty.  That if something breaks, wears out, or is damaged that Dillon will replace it at no-cost thus the No BS Warranty.  I was told this applies to used Dillon's as well, no matter if you're the 1st or 10th owner of a Dillon; the warranty applies.

I bought a used XL750 to get started in reloading.  I bought it site unseen but thinking of the warranty, I wasn't concerned.  It is well used but the main guts are solid.  It does need many individual parts replaced.  I reached out to Dillon via email as I travel for a living thus just thought it might be the easiest way to find out how to replace the parts needed.  I provided a brief recap that I had purchased an XL750 used and wanted to get them a list of the parts I needed warranty replaced and asked how they wanted me to proceed.

The response I got back from Dillon was that I can send my XL750 back to Dillon and for $150 fee they will maintenance the press and fix anything that is needed.  I sent another email explaining that I didn't need them to do the maintenance.  I explained that I am very mechanical and have already fully disassembled, cleaned, lubed, etc. the press and simply needed the warranty items replaced so I could finishing re-assembling the press.  Dillon's reply was again the same thing, that I can send the press back to Dillon and they will maintenance it for $150.

Am I missing something here?

Is the Dillon No BS Warranty just a bunch of BS??

Thanks,

Ashton

I think the part where warranty stands is needing bits that are broken...

Dillon wants to decide what is good or not.  

My 650 came with a bag of parts that are often replaced

like springs and sliding block type parts and a detent ball.

I want to state you are on a gray-ish spot...

call them and order the spares bag. (this is a part of the press when you buy it)

If you know some parts are well worn and are not in that bag,

tell 'em you feel it is warranty.  

At that point should Dillon not be willing to send repair parts

then I am willing to agree that there is some rise in the bogosity levels.

miranda

Yeah, this is kind of a gray area.

If you have a 750 and call them about a single part or a couple of parts that are broken or worn to the point of malfunction then you are going to get your parts.

At the other end of the spectrum is a machine needing a complete rebuild which I think is well worth their service fee.

I have taken advantage of that and will again if/when necessary.

I feel your request is closer to the latter situation than it is to the former even though you would be doing the work yourself.

I'm curious how others feel about this...

I'm going to agree with what a couple of others have said.  If you called them, told them the story and said I need, part A and part B along with some different springs, they'd probably send them.  If you're calling them with a parts list, I can totally understand them wanting the press back.  I've had my 650 for a while now, it has well over 200K rounds loaded and only two actual parts have ever broke, the shell plate indexing ring (that stupid plastic nub snaps off, though I did have one snap in half as well) and one shoulder bushing on the failsafe rod.  Outside of that, it's been springs, lots of springs.  I actually had a spring break in my small primer feed cup thing, asked for the spring and they sent me the whole assembly. 

As the OP said it’s been well used, I’d send it back. It will be disassembled to the frame, tossed in the solvent tank and completely rebuilt. You will get the press back in brand new condition. From that point, anything that breaks from normal use will be replaced via warranty.  

I can understand Dillon’s perspective in this situation. They have no idea what’s going on with the press and would be relying on the end user (who is admittedly new to reloading) to properly diagnose and correct issues. This can very easily turn into a cascading parts problem, which they have very likely been through this many times in the past. The service fee is very reasonable considering what you’ll receive in return. I wouldn’t try to take undue advantage of a generous warrantee policy.  I’d let them restore it and from that point they will supply their complete warrantee service for the rest of the time you own the press.

I can see both sides. If you would have known about the rebuild program before you did the overhaul you probably would’ve sent it. Now that it’s 3/4 done you just want to finish it. Dillon has probably ran across this in the past and just figured it’s more efficient if they do it. It’s possible that you may have missed something along the way too. I get where you’re at, I also like to OH my own stuff because it helps me familiarize with how it works. Maybe you could ask to send your broken/worn parts back and let them inspect them for replacement. Would be less than sending the whole press. 

I am sifting through meanings...  what is a warranty?

If Honda still made parts for my old 1986 civic  I suspect I'd still be driving it...

and parts and service are not warranty if that is an example.

I am gunna go this far, having the parts  free if you pay reasonable shipping

is my idea of a good warranty.  springs and plastic blocks  which do wear and break

cover all that I have seen for failure in my Lee press.  The 650 has not worn or broken

anything yet.

I am not sure I think a customer  calling a need for parts  and being told

send it in with bucks for service is 'warranty' work. ETA(to be clear, that is not warranty service)

Even if it is a bargain otherwise.

I think requiring the broken parts be sent in first to get parts on warranty

is completely acceptable. 

... sadly what I can't see is a good clear set of rules...

I will point out that that  'spares' bag is a part of the press.

and Dillon's warranty starts there.  you get your press going and

call Dillon and plan to send in the failed part... replaced under warranty.

so yeah telling the OP 'send it in and pay'  is a problem.

the shipping charges on the customer is reasonable.

miranda

Edited by Miranda
clarification...

Don't be vague. Send them a list of the parts you need to replace and pictures if they apply. If a part is worn or defective, they will replace it, but don't expect them to send you a bunch of parts based upon your say so. You may need to send them the parts for verification.

BTW I don't know if the no BS warranty applies to second or third owners but it seems to have been Dillon's policy in the past not to distinguish between the two.

Hmm, Dillon has sent me so many new parts over the years that I have stopped asking and just buying parts as I felt guilty after 10 or more years of free stuff. If you want to get your press into top notch shape before you actually start using it and having problems I would say send it in and pay the money.

You might be surprised at what you get back. After about 20 years I was having alignment problems with one of my 650s, after talking to them they sent me a shipping label for me to return it and within a few days I received a brand new 650.

But I agree with the others, sending them a list of parts is not the way to go, maybe start using it and call them when problems arise.

On 2/18/2023 at 11:38 AM, AshtonKS said:

Dillon users, I have a question about the Dillon No BS Warranty.

I am new to reloading.  I have shot competition NRA Modern Military, NRA Bench 22, and other matches at my gun club for years and have heard mention of Dillon reloading presses for many years.  I can't recall hearing negative comments about a Dillon.  My buddies had commented for years about the Dillon No Bull-s#!t warranty.  That if something breaks, wears out, or is damaged that Dillon will replace it at no-cost thus the No BS Warranty.  I was told this applies to used Dillon's as well, no matter if you're the 1st or 10th owner of a Dillon; the warranty applies.

I bought a used XL750 to get started in reloading.  I bought it site unseen but thinking of the warranty, I wasn't concerned.  It is well used but the main guts are solid.  It does need many individual parts replaced.  I reached out to Dillon via email as I travel for a living thus just thought it might be the easiest way to find out how to replace the parts needed.  I provided a brief recap that I had purchased an XL750 used and wanted to get them a list of the parts I needed warranty replaced and asked how they wanted me to proceed.

The response I got back from Dillon was that I can send my XL750 back to Dillon and for $150 fee they will maintenance the press and fix anything that is needed.  I sent another email explaining that I didn't need them to do the maintenance.  I explained that I am very mechanical and have already fully disassembled, cleaned, lubed, etc. the press and simply needed the warranty items replaced so I could finishing re-assembling the press.  Dillon's reply was again the same thing, that I can send the press back to Dillon and they will maintenance it for $150.

Am I missing something here?

Is the Dillon No BS Warranty just a bunch of BS??

Thanks,

Ashton

On 2/18/2023 at 12:50 PM, Miranda said:

I think the part where warranty stands is needing bits that are broken...

Dillon wants to decide what is good or not.  

My 650 came with a bag of parts that are often replaced

like springs and sliding block type parts and a detent ball.

I want to state you are on a gray-ish spot...

call them and order the spares bag. (this is a part of the press when you buy it)

If you know some parts are well worn and are not in that bag,

tell 'em you feel it is warranty.  

At that point should Dillon not be willing to send repair parts

then I am willing to agree that there is some rise in the bogosity levels.

miranda

In general, if you provide photos of damaged or worn out parts, we will simply send replacements. Some parts, such as frames, shafts, broken shellplates, powder measure bodies, we require the damaged/worn part be first sent in for warranty replacement. On used equipment, worn/damaged parts are covered under warranty, provided that loader has a lifetime warranty, or the damage wasn't caused by the use of unauthorized aftermarket parts, such as an autodrive or swager used on an XL650. Missing parts are not covered under warranty. If someone is just missing a small part, such as a locator pin, at the discretion of the CSR something like this can be sent out at no charge. 

• 2 weeks later...

The warranty is for replacing worn or broken parts, not to get parts you need for an incomplete press you bought at a steep discount. I'll admit that Dillon is very generous with the warranty, but I'd have a hard time expecting them to send me free parts to complete the press I bought in the cheap because it was incomplete. 

Also consider this, these  "warranties" or "guarantees" aren't free, their cost is built into the price of the products. I cringe everytime I read someone writing how they sent their Springfield Armory gun back to get the sights adjusted, or other such a minor "corrections", and exclaiming how great it is that this "free" service exists... 

I'll admit comparing Dillon Precision's QC to Springfield Armory's QC is unfair to Dillon Precision, and I apologize for that  The biggest difference in my story is Dillon has historically put out extremely high quality products, so the warranty is to correct those rare instances where something made it past QC, and Springfield Armory has used the warranty to cover for their historically less than stellar QC (though admittedly, it's much improved in recent years). 

I recently purchased a very well used 650.  In setting it up I could not get the primer wheel to index fully.  After speaking with customer a couple of times they sent me a primer block that mounts to the frame at n/c.  I had a bag of parts and had replaced the primer arm and spring already.  After the block arrived and I mounted it the indexing of the primer wheel was still not enough to allow the seating pin to align to the hole.  I paid the $125 refurb fee and shipping back to Dillon.  I just received back last Friday and wow!  It now has a new frame, new platform, entire new priming assembly, and all of the parts in the case feed slider assembly.  It is basically a brand new 650!  I know those words excite a few of you that think the 650 is better than the 750.  

I have to say that I was originally grumbling about the $180 bucks I laid out for refurb and shipping but what I received for my money was well worth it.  I called them and let them know that their service went well above what I had expected.  

The spare parts kit for $50 is something I get for every blue press I own. Dillon has replaced 3-4 parts for me over the last 17 years and Most of them I had in the parts kit so I was able to get up and running same day.

How many pars did you need? They may be assuming that if 10 parts need replacing, then the thing needs an inhouse overhall. I would pick up the parts kit they are about $50 and have all the common lost/wear items in them. The items you dont find in there ask Dillon for.

Overall once this is running well you will be hard "pressed" to find a better quality machine. I have been around all of them and blue is best. There are some solid single stages out there though

The Service of having the press gone through @ the factory is well worth the money.

Anyone who buys a used press with parts missing really has no business asking for free parts when the press was bought "as is".  So the proper thing to do is make a laundry list and pay for the parts to make the press whole.

It's hard for me to imagine a 750 being so worn out that it needs a rebuild.  How long have they been making them?  I have a feeling you may have bought a press someone had automated and ran hundreds of thousands of rounds on.  I have a 650 that I have manually loaded around 140,000 rds on & it has needed a few small parts but the press really doesn't need anything major.  In my opinion Dillon shouldn't have to warranty a manual operated press that's been automated. 

ya kno,' mlmiller,

it kinda crossed my mind that a well worn 750 seemed a little odd.

and If you run your machinery in a building or such 

with an unsealed concrete floor...

and are a little light of oiling the press  you can get a good level of wear on

the moving parts.... so ... maybe?

I do wonder if Dillon can somehow tell if a press has been automated

short of it arriving at Dillon with the motor and crank attached...

miranda

Miranda,

We can easily determine if a 650 or 750 has been used much with an autodrive.  Certain areas on the loader show unusual wear, which doesn't occur if it is only operated by hand.  In those instances, we contact the customer and enlighten them that they are responsible for paying for the worn out or damaged parts when caused by automation.